Thread: Free Floating Barrel

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Free Floating Barrel

Hi,
    Once again I am puzzeled by an article that I have read.

The article was related to free floating barrels, and I was wondering what are the real advantages of a free floating barrel and secondly if your rifle does not come as free floating, why do some people try to make the rifle free floating???

W

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

werner, that is a point of huge discussion,

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

The idea is to allow the barrel to be free of external interference that could cause POI shifts.

On firearms there is very significant vibration during firing, free floating the barrel theoretically allows this to happen in the same manner every shot. This effect is very substantially less with airguns.

Also if the barrel touches the stock, if it is a wood stock this can alter its dimensions slightly with different humidity levels, potentially moving the barrel causing POI shift.

On many conventional design pre-charged rifles the barrel is solidly fixed at the breech but 'floats' generally through an o-ring into the barrel collar, muzzle brake or whatever at the front of the rifle allowing any microscopic movements of the cylinder as the pressure within changes to be absorbed without moving POI.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dale,
    If I hear you correctly you are saying that on an air rifle the idea of a free floating barrel being better is a fallacy? I always thought so myself.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I also read an article where the air arms guys says that the Pro Target was not free floated originally but that the demand was very big from the public for a free floated version that they decided to make one AND after tests between the two there was no difference at all. One VERY tiny hole wonders.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

What I know is that if you clamp a s400 barrel and shoot a laser through it you will see that it is drooping, although very miniscule, it is trooping all the same. I like the idea of the barrel clamp on my rifles. I might be ignorant.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Air King,

The original RN10 featured a barrel clamp attached to the stock in the same manner as the Dommie. What was found is that in FT where shooters used a sling for positional shots the POI could be shifted by this clamp, removing it cured the problem.

Accuracy wise there was no difference. The barrel on the Pro-T is thick enough to be self supporting, on most conventional pcp rifles the barrel is slim and the clamp helps support it. But this support needs to be done in a way that isn't restrictive.

If the design allows for a barrel to be free floated then it can't hurt, however that doesn't mean to say floated through a collar is bad.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

"fixed" is all good..........untill you are in the middle of a big shoot, and you think you might have bumped the barrel, but not sure if the collar has moved ever so slightly......all ur shots are going off to the one side........was it wind? the barrel? or just u.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Anybody,
    What is "POI Shift". Rather ask now or forever stupid.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Point of impact shift. Not shooting where you were aiming as before shift.

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Goose, POI shift, means "point of impact shift".
    I agree with Dale that freefloating a barrel on a PCP is not so much an issue as in a big rifle, due to the larger barrel vibrations in a big rifle as the bullet is forced down the barrel under tremendous force.

I do have one concern with a fixed barrel, and that is humidity change that causes the wood in our rifles to expand or even warp to a small degree, but enough to cause a high point or pressure point on the barrel or action, causing change of impact.

In our Country where we shoot in very hot and humid conditions in the summer, and then cold and dry conditions in the winter, it can be and is a factor to concider.

That is why the shroud over the barrel is supported with "O - rings" to absorb such small external pressures.

I have bedded my action and the barrel support with a special epoxy for that specific reason, although a laminated stock like the Walther and EV is less prone to movement due to humidity changes than a normal wooden rifle stock.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Piet,
    I will definitely discuss this with you again in person. I am still new in this game, as you know. Me myself doing a lot of testing (i've got the space ha-ha) and there are plenty un-answered questions i already have. You people now opened a new world for me.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi all you FFB's, I've done a lot free flaoting and bedding in my time. Big rifle is a issue, PCP no problem but beware for springer. The springbox, if not well fitted in the stock,(metal to stock, must be bedded so that the box and stock like a glove. Due to the vibration of the spring and not well fitted the accuracy won't be there and find that the stock cracks.
    Happy Shootingggggg!!!!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I,ve heard of guy.s complaining about floating barrels because of their sensitivity to light impact. Basicly if you bump the barrel chances are you will have to zero your gun again!

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Maybe on air rifles where the barrels are not screwed in like on the big guns, but on the big guns, never. The advantages outweigh disadvantages by far.