Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pellet sizes, is this a sales gimmick or just the flavour of the month?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Pellet sizes, is this a sales gimmick or just the flavour of the month?

Our research on pellet head sizes has proven to be somewhat entertaining.
    What are you actually getting when you buy a tin of pellets claimed to be 4.51, 4.52 or so on.
    We bought a tin of JSB Exact (4.53) and a tin of FX Premium (4.52)
    Setting the micrometer to the claimed pellet diameter, we simply observed which pellets passed through the set gap. We didnít use the micrometerís ratchet for fear of deforming the pellet.
    Here are the results of our measuring:

JSB Exact (4.53)

Set at 4.53 all were smaller.
    Set at 4.52; 9 were smaller.
    Set at 4.51; 6 were smaller.
    Set at 4.50; 3 were still smaller.

Exact Premium (4.52)

Set at 4.52 all were smaller.
    Set at 4.51; 9 were smaller.
    Set at 4.50; 3 were smaller.

This is just an example of quite extensive research and we are only putting the question, what is the point of quoting a size that simply is not true.
    We are by no means commenting on the accuracy of the pellets, just the fact giving such figures seems to be rather pointless.
    Are people thinking they are buying oversize pellets, if so the tables above show a slightly different story?

We have found similar discrepancies with pellet weights, whatís written on the tin and the actual weights are often rather different, again we know consistency is most important thing, but simply what is the point of quoting wrong figures.

Swannie and Dale Sullivan

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Swannie,
    Very interesting question, but how many pellets was in your sample(s)?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

GerrieF,
    Thanks for the question. 10 pellets were randomly selected, and even though I know it is a small sample the question remains the same.

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

Makes me wonder if shooting the better groupings with the JSB's isn't just a psychological thing.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I would not think it's a psychological thing, as I am not disputing the accuracy of these pellets, rather a gimmick to get you to buy and try them.

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

Yes, but people tell me that it is because of those gimmicks that they are suppose to be better.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Farmer and Swannie,
    I personally think it has much more to do with the weight of the pellets than with size, that cuases flyers. Consistency in weight, I think would mean much more to me.

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

from your tests the 4.53 are actualy 4.52 and the 4.52 are infact 4.51. so we should look for the 4.54-4.55 pellets????

gerrief the weight is not the problem the problem is if the weight is off center, this will cause the pellet to fly. the weight in a tin varies more than we see flyers so the weight itself in not the problem. the off center weight makes more sence.

how do we measure off center weight???????

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The weight is a factor..... read my earlier post about jsb pellet wt and you will see there can be up tp 3% difference.... can mean up to 1 inch poi change at 50m....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If you take weighed pellets and shoot groups per weight you find different points of impact but very tight groups. Unweighed the deviation is enough to open a grouping up or make you miss an X ring in BR but generally and in most cases not big enough to miss a 40mm target at 50m. At one time I was under the impressionthat my rifle shoots faster with 4.53 pellets but every time I crony it, it shoots 785 Ft/sec, no matter what size pellet I use.

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

weight is a factor but the factor that causes the fliers, it is the ballance of the pellet, you might have 80% of the weight on one side this will cause a flier.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Don't hijack this thread with your ideas about weight and balance, what Iím saying is that pellet makers and sellers are rolling you a Ďmielieí in that they are quoting sizes that arenít true.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Swannie the dies that are used to make the pellets are definitely different sizes...but you will not be able to measure this on the pellet itself.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Swannie the dies that are used to make the pellets are definitely different sizes...but you will not be able to measure this on the pellet itself.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I haven't tried measuring the pellets, but I do recall the first occasion I encounterd different head size pellets.

It was at East Devon FTC in the early 1990's and Nick Jenkinson brought a quantity of the new H&N Baracuda Match to sell in 4.50, 4.51 and 4.52 sizes.

I was able to try all three sizes in the rifle I was then using, a Venom Mach 1 barreled Daystate Huntsman. At 55 yards the 4.50 gave poor groupings out of the rifle, the 4.51 were better but thje 4.52 were superb. Repeating the test confirmed these results, so I do not believe it was a fluke.

Subsequently with the AA/JSB sized pellets the majority of my rifles favour the 4.52 size, although I had one S300 that was a stunner with the 4.50 size.

IMO, while you may consider it to be a gimmick the results I have observed down range do seem to suggest there is some difference between those pellets.