Thread: Need some expert advise!

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

Default Need some expert advise!

Sombody asked me the pro's and cons on these rifles:

Air arms s410 carbine
    Weihrauch hw100t

I have never used them, so I don't know....

Which one will be the better choice for:
    (1) FT
    (2) Hunting
    (3) Good allrounder

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

For FT / all rounder I would say buy a single shot S400, use the money you save over the multi-shot to buy a better scope e.g Lynx or Nikko 10-50. Make some mods to the stock - cut and raise cheek piece and add a 'hamster' under the fore-end, and voila a good FT and all round rifle.

A single shot is not a disadvantage for hunting, we hunted with them long before the multi shots came along, it is just that people have become too lazy to learn to load single shots by feel!

User Info Menu

No, you don't understand... this guy wants a multishot. He is not interested in making modifications either.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi Farmer,

If he wants to shoot FT and hunt your may want to condider getting him a rifle with a power regulator. One of my shooting buddies has an S410 and its an awsome rifle. Very smooth multi shot action and extremely accurate. The S410 is known for having one of the best and most simplistic multi shot actions in the world. For hunting, a mutlishot definitely comes in handy. Only downfall is that the S410 is an FT rifle so he will have to resrict hunting to within 40 meters regardless of shot placement. I don't have any comments on the HW100t as I've never shot with one. You should speak to Warrick, maybe he can help with a regulator and I'm sure he will have more advice then I have to offer.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Is there a difference in power between the HW100T and the HW100S ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The s410 is not an"FT" rifle, it was designed as a allrounder rifle. The FT guys just use the rifle because it is a superb "out of the box rifle". The S410 can be adjusted to shoot at higher than ft velocities.

Both are good rifles Farmer,each with its own pro's and con's, in the end it will be up to the shooter's taste. I like the 410 more and currently have a 400 extra high power in .20 cal which is great.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

No problem, advice (based on experience) was asked for and that is what was given, irrespective of 'understanding'.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Farmer,
    A multi shot can become cumbersome if it has to be removed from the rifle between lanes (FT rule but NEVER got applied, so far.)There must be a reason why 99% FT shots shoot singles shot rifles
    The AA should be much cheaper than the HW100. (Almost cheaper enough to afford the 10x50 N/S or Lynx scope you need for FT shooting.)
    There is no difference in power between the two rifles only the stock. There is also a FT version, with a shorter barrel, available but I haven’t even seen it yet. There is nothing to choose in accuracy between the S400 and HW100 respectively.

Protea FT Team '06/'07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13/'14
    National FT Champ '05/'08

User Info Menu

The HW100 s/t only difference is that 1 has a hunter stock and the other a thumbhole stock,both is walnut .this action is superp it can not double feed a pellet has 2 x14 shot steel mags.The HW will shoot about 80 good shots on the same power level the connector is supplied.The silencer is supplied which i still believe is the best out in the field.

The AA will shoot about 40 good shots,and is much cheaper the connector and the silencer is not supplied.both these rifles are extremly accurate

Any of these rifles will do well for any application

User Info Menu

No that is the type of info I was looking for!!!

Thanks

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Both is good allrounders, both very accurate. AA slightly cheeper, but if you buy all the extras that you get already included with the Weihraugh, (extra magazine, silencer, filling adapter) and a walnut stock as standard,I think they will cost almost the same.

For the Weihraugh you can get a very effective single loader that is a joy to shoot with, if you want to do FT. The loading port on the S410 is very small to load single shot. I tried, very annoying.

I had a S410, and now own a Weihraugh, and in my oppinion, there is no comparison between the magazine systems. The Weihraugh's is far supperior. It's got all steel magazines x 2, cannot double feed, (unlike the S410), and far smoother to operate, and higher cappacity (2 x 14 shot). AA 1 x 10 shot plastic magazine.

It will boil down to personal choice however, but both is a good buy.

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Forgot to say, .......if the Weihraugh is not the 12 ft/lbs, it can be tuned up to shoot a heavy10.5 gr pellet up to 1010 ft/sec as mine does with phenominal accuracy, and still get 42 good shots out of a fill. Its got a semi - regulator as standard.

Both rifles triggers are superbly adjustable.