Thread: Sentimental Value

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Sentimental Value

Have you good people ever come across your old car, bike, h or what ever and found it to in worst form of neglect imaginable.
    It happened to me before but last night was probably the worst for me to handle.
    My very first S400 was probably the most accurate rifle ever imported into SA. Maybe it is because it was my first decent rifle and first PCP. I polished this rifle and handled it with love although I shot around 90,000(The count of empty tins) pellets through it. It never failed me even once.
    I traded it in on a HW100 which as it turned out, did not get on with me at all, what a mistake that was? I should never have done it.
    Now last night I run into this poor rifle. Its barrel and tank is so rusted if feels like sand paper. The stock is dry and scratched. What a mess!! It makes you want to cry when you come across something like that. Anything as delicate as a rifle or a hand made knife just canít be treated like that.
    I collect well made kieries/walking sticks and whips also. I have quite a few of each and they are looked after and used very well, the wood oiled and the leather treated with Dubin regularly. What a pleasure to see and be able to appreciate good handy work.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I can't see you cry Gerty, just look at the state of your MAMBA and your new WALNUT AA. Ag sies man
    Ha! Ha! said the clown!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

well... the difference is... for the same thing... some people will treated it as the act.... and some will treated it as the tool...

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '17/'19

User Info Menu

I did see a tear in his left eye when he held the rifle, though!

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Do we happen to know who let the poor gun get to such a sorry state?

Desire unfortunatly is often lost and neglect then takes over.

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Gerrief, "Bliksem" hom!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ja hy het gebliksem, agter oor gebliksem!
    Ha! Ha! said the clown!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Wally (aka The Clown),
    I don't know if old age got to your eyes as well but there is nothing wrong with my Walnut stock at all. It has not gained one extra mark or scratch since I got it and it is oiled DAILY.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sorry Gerty, that's why I'am not a good shot as what you are. But remember you will get there as well. Have a nice day and see you tomorrow at Wboom.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

You might not uncle Wally, I haven't heard from my bank manager yet.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Gerry, imagine you can get your hands on that rifle again. Buy it back and restore it to your satisfactory, how proud can you stand then. If someone neglect a rifle like that he might easy sell it.
    And Boondock, I totally disagree with you, a rifle must be treated like you wife or car. Ancient times it used to save your life.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Goose,
    It still did, in not so ancient times, like less than thirty years ago. I wish I could afford to do that. It will probably cost a pretty penny to have everything re-coated and the stock done over, even if you do the stock yourself. What do you think the barrel will look like inside, if the outside looks like that?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I just feel with you, Gerry. A rifle for me is also very precious. And sentiment is my second name.