Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when loading a springer...HOLD THE BARREL!

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Default when loading a springer...HOLD THE BARREL!

when loading a springer...HOLD THE BARREL or under lever with one hand and DO NOT let it go until closed.

DO NOT assume the safety mechanisms will always work!!

I see so many people, kids and adults alike loading springers and letting go of the barrel or loading lever while inserting a pellet!!
    It is a BAD practice and even though I repeatedly tell people at FT shoots about it I often get blank stares or "mind your own business" looks.

See the following link http://airguns.pl/188,military,baby,clothes.html

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I too am amazed at the belief people put in a piece they've read some where .

Maybe you gotta give lessons ?

Mind you the next thing that will happen , is they'll ban the guns cause they're dangerous , cause little jannie cut his hand . Forget the fact that little janny is being stupid .

Accidents will always happen , maybe the pictures like this should be predominantly displayed where the roadside hawkers are flogging them !

Hopefully some people will look and learn !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ouch. Lyk of daai vingers uit n Bulterrier se bek kom.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

It hurts and cleaning the bits out of your rifle is a real bugger too.

Seriously though it doesn't take much to prevent an accident of this nature, so if you see someone acting dangerously speak to them. It is no different than a dangerous practice with a cartridge firearm, something that RO's and other shooters must keep an awareness of and tackle if seen.
    Last edited by Dale; 14-11-08 at 14:00.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I was also guilty of trusting anti beartrap mechanisms in the very beginning of my shooting days and fortunately Guido saw me with my 1000fps cheapy cocked and barrel hanging, and he then passed on the valueble advice at the top of this thread. Well I,m glad he did because I own an AATX200 which for those of you that dont know has a loading port like a cigar cutter and two safety catches to boot! never the less despite the two brilliant safety mechanisms, in my complacency I managed to get it all wrong and fortunately my hand did not leave the under lever while my thumb and index finger were in the chamber (thank you Guido) but once I had loaded the pellet and retracted my fingers I slowly loosened my grip on the under lever and BANG! I hadn,t cocked it properly and my hand got slammed between the barrel and the under lever! My point is if I had chosen to ignore experienced people,s advice it would have been my hand pictured on this forum minus two fingers, and the thing to remember is that the the TX200 is a reletively expensive rifle so what chance do you have with a R2000 rifle! (no disrespect to the cheaper equipment I,m purely stressing a point!)

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi. It's all fair and well but changing hands to load a pellet is just not for me. So what do I do then? I break the breach with my left hand while holding the rifle(BSA LIGHTNING XL) with my right. Then I insert the pellet with my left hand before cocking the rifle. I then cock and close the rifle with my left hand in one smooth motion without ever letting go whit my right hand.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

A break barrel is nice in that way. You do not have to cock the rifle to load a pellet. Just break it, load the pellet and cock it when you are ready. My HW97K scares me enough to be very careful with it. That piston can slam shut and prolly keep my fingers.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Guido,

The link doesn't work.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I always try out my death grip on the HW90 Barrel. Don't want to lose my fingers, stock or barrel block

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

probably because the posting is 2 years old

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

It still remains important information

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

When loading a springer, esp. an under lever one, make sure all the anchor bolts are installed, sp. the rear one. They tend to swing up at a rapid pace after the forward bolt holes give way and crack the stock. The rapid upward motion is generally directed at one's head. Having the rear of the action smash into your teeth should be just reward for the idiocy that started the sequence of events in the first place.

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Voice of experience Blud?

Springer FT World Champion '09
    Protea FT Team '19

SAFTAA FT Colours '12
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Yip!

That's why my Gamo is held together with insulation tape!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I've let a few barrels get away from me in my lifetime. I've never been hurt, but man the damage has always been expensive!