Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Field Target Rig

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Field Target Rig

Hi Guys

Planning on getting a FT rifle will have to get one sight unseen as donít know of any in my area and the dealers here in NZ certainly donít keep any in stock.
    Will probably be a private import anyway.
    Be one of the usual candidates Steyr , Walther , EV2 , or FWB
    Do you guys shoot 12flbs? If I get for example a LG110 in 24j is it hard to turn it down to 12flbs If required?
    I have seen a lot of reports of problems with the Walther being temp sensitive have they sorted this out yet at the factory? I believe they have a new regulator? Would the 21j version be the best buy and turned down if required.
    I believe there is a new EV2 on the way so will wait and see, what about the FWB anybody use one?
    Hoping to find one that performs well out of the box,

Thanks

Paul

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Pauln , We shoot 16 j - 12Ft/lb

Its real hard when you have to buy a gun blimd.Personal taste and comfort has a lor to do with the race gun that suits you best.Out the 4 you have listed above the Steyr is the light weight and the FWB I believe willbe the heavy.

The Steyr is the most compact of the weapons .It has a large following around the world.The other 3 are all full size weapons.

As far as Ajustablity goes the Wather has the worst stock.

Getting the High power guns with the idea of turning them down is not always a good plan.Guido loves his Steyr's and will inform you that they are quick to turn down.In a way it is a bad idea as the barrels are desighned for high powere and my not shape up at lower power levels.

I have av EV and am completly happy with it.

The Walthers are now sorted.

The FWB is by far the best looking to my mind.We have 1 guy shooting FT in SA thith it.He had to make a mod to keep POI stable with temp variation.

As for the new EV. I dont think there is 1 coming soon.There is just an updared EV2.

All the guns shoot well out the box.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Allan the barrels on the 12 and 18 ft\lbs Steyrs are identical.
    The 10m versions are different.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Sorry Guido the comment was not directed to you .I was saying that is what I believe in general.Although reading the post again it does look as though I was picking on the Steyr's.I may be proven wrong on other weapons too.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Allan and Guido

Looking at the Steyr web site, if my German is correct it seems to show a barrel length of 430mm for the 7.5and 24j and 450mm for the 16j version.
    This seems a little strange to me I would have thought the higher power version would get the longer barrel?

Guido is the power level easy to change?

Regards

Paul

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Allan and Guido

Looking at the Steyr web site, if my German is correct it seems to show a barrel length of 430mm for the 7.5and 24j and 450mm for the 16j version.
    This seems a little strange to me I would have thought the higher power version would get the longer barrel?

Guido is the power level easy to change?

Regards

Paul

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

The Steyr website has an English page too. see http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.com/index2.php?lang=en

Barrel lengths are all the same and are around 430mm...sometimes slightly longer depending on barrel batches.

Power is very easy to change but there are 2 versions of rifles...the 7 and 16J versions work with the reg set to 80 bars and cannot be turned up to more than about 22J

The 24J versions have the reg set to around 110 bars and cannot be set below 10J easily...they can go upo to about 30J though.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Guido

Which version do you think would be best for FT at 12ftlbs, and longer range shooting at higer power?
    Thanks for the link but I see that the 16j is still listed with 450mm barrel and the others 430mm, must be a miss print.

Paul

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

the 12 ft\lbs version will give you about 30 more shots since the reg is set at 80 bars instead of 110

I would stick to the 12 ft\lbs version unless you definitely want to increase the power beyond 16ft\lbs

as I mentioned I have seen different barrel lenghts on Steyrs but the variance has always been slight...max of 2cm

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Allan, you say that the Walther's stock is the least adjustable. What about the Alutech, that is desighned fot FT specifically? But what can the EV adjust more than the wooden stocked Walther.

Any way, in my oppinion, to many adjustments, just causes to many basic things to be adjusted incorectly for the un informed. You may think that you have set it up nicely for yourselves, but infact you have taken away some basic design features that has been proven over many years to be inherently good for accuracy in a rifle.

For example.:
    1 - The throw off of the butt. (the ability of the stock design to align your shoulder and eye with the barrel)
    2 - The correct positioning of your trigger hand.

Yes I agree, having all those adjustments is nice to have, but if you dont realy know how to adjust them, you could do yourself more harm than good.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

and Paul what about this one!!

see my album Deadlinks/forum_viewtopic.php?28008.last[/url]

Deadlinks_imagefiles/lg20_i.jpg[/img]

Deadlinks_imagefiles/lg20_f.jpg[/img]

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Pauln, contrary to popular believe, there was never anything wrong with the regulators on the Walther's.
    We all had our's replaced, free of charge from the factory in Germany,with no better results. I'm still using my original one that came with the rifle. I tried the new one, but it did exactly the same.

The problem was with the SHAPE of the "plunger" that open the valve port.
    15 minutes on a lathe, and the Walther shoots like a true champion. Nothing else needs to be done to them to make them perform like they are doing now.

In SA since the mod's, they have truly dominated the scene with 10/11 wins.

This weekend again, with all of the top 15 shots present, the first 3 places again went to Walther shots. Nobody could argue with that.

If you are interested to buy a Walther, I would gladly e - mail the exact changes you need to make on the shape of the "plunger"

As I said so many times in the past, I personally dont think that there is much to choose between most of the top makes, besides personal taste.

All of them is capable of shooting well above our personal abbilitys. It is up to you to refine your technique with a spesific rifle to get the best out of it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hey thats a neat looking rifle Guido what is it the link doesn't work.

Thanks again guys,
    one interesting thing is that Styer will sell direct from the factory and are very good at replying to emails. Walther insist that deal with the local agent who as yet has not replied

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Steyr LG20 FT

more pics in my gallery at www.olympicguns.com

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

Piet and Palun the mods that we did have now been do as standard at the factory in germany so all the latest rifle have had the pins changed.