Thread: barrels life span

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default barrels life span

how many shots can go thru b4 the barrel need replaced for a PCP?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

good question!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yes that is a good question. Lot,s of guy,s put a nominal amount of oil on their pellets and rotate the tin untill there is a very thin layer of oil on all of them, this apparently is a good barrel preservation technique. Dont quote me though cause i,m not sure if this info is accurate or what oil to use! I have however also heard that 10000 shots is about the lifespan of the average airrifle.

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

????? As long as you don't shoot steel pellets through your barrel (or leave it to rust to hell and gone!) your great- great grand children can shoot your PCP rifle with origional barrel!
    There are now "high" velocities, high temperatures (gas and friction) and no brass or steel jackets passing through a air rifle barrel so wear is almost no existant.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

I am no expert but I think your barrel will not wear out as a result of a small amount of lead or alloy rubbing against it. The barrel is made of steel or some composite of steels. Just picture yourself rubbing a piece of lead on steel, you will never in your life make any impression on the steel.
    The pellet does not excert a large amount of pressure/ force on the side wall of the barrel, or nowhere near the amount of pressure you can apply by rubbing a piece of lead on steel?

If you had to compare the hardness/ material strenth of lead against steel, I think it would be like paper and wood.

Something to worry about is how many times have you bumped your barrel against something??

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

lead is soft compare with steel...

but i also see constantly water dripping can make holes in stone...

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Boondock you will not wear out an airrilfe barrel with normal use...

Barrels are not made of stone...hehe

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Andrew 10000 pellets is the average lifespan of a spring in a springer...barrel will last many lifetimes..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Boondock, wear on barrel is course by high velocity on rifles running at 3000 ft/s and brass bullets. PCP's with normal lead pellets a "MOER" of a long time to wear out. "DO NOT" use copper, brass and steel pellets in your pcp's, if you must make sure the pellets have a nylon shroud.
    Happy and good shooting.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The other problem with center fire barrel (esp in calibres of large case capacity) is that upon firing, the buring powder is forced out of the case neck. This, combined with the high temp, eventually eats away the chamber throat and the bullet has more free bore to travel before enaging the rifling. Chamber throat wear happens much earlier than wear over the rest of the barrel. It is very common for hand loader to load the bullets further out to compensate for it.

But of cause none of this applies to airgun, not even rimfire, I know of a firearm indtructor who used a rim fire for training and after 20 yr of intense use, the thing still shoots as good as new.... So if a airgun barrel is anywhere as hard as a good .22 barrel, it should last much longer (a 40gr rimfire has much more contact surface area)

as far as airguns are concerned, the real danger comes from the improper cleaning (that's why target rimfire and center fire shooters ALWAYS stick the rod in from the rear end, not something that can be done in most PCP without stripping) and the fact that water can condens in the chamber..... I guess the pressure reg is the first thing to go (if there is one), then FV stem, then trigger/hammer assem.,

As for water making a hole in stone, it takes years of constant dripping..... SO i wouldn't complain if my PCP dies after a year if it was shotting at a rate of 1 shot / 3 seconds for a whole year..... hehehe

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Here is answer out of the horses mouth. Seeing that many barrels are made by Walther, I asked them this question and this is their answer:-

"Dear Mr. Joubert,

Most of the life is removed in cleaning or from corrosion coming from condensation.

I would put life at an excess of 25K-50K pellets and I see them going much longer.

Sincerely,

Woody Woodall"

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I once heard that the actual lifespan of a 7.62 target rifle is about 3 minutes. That accounts for the passing through of about 12000 to 15000 shots