Thread: What are the advantages of a PCP over a springer?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default What are the advantages of a PCP over a springer?

Hi guys...this may appear as a bit of a stupid question, but since ive only ever had a springer, i know very little about a pcp and its advantages/disadvatages and mechanics.

Could u tell me the benefits of using one of them, and in particular i have 1 quetion in this regard.Are pcp rifles significantly quieter than springers, and to what extent?In other words, if i shot a myna from 15m away, would the others hear anything?

Im asking this cause i have a myna problem in my backyard and before u guys start complaining about me shooting in my backyard, been doing so for over 2 years and no neighbour ever complians.

My aim is to kill these bastards, cause ive had enough of them cause the always bulling the other birds around, and they are also concidered a pest in the top 10 of the world if om not mistaken.,but one shot and the rest just scatter, because of the springer noise.Will this not happen with a pcp?

In terms of model, been looking at the CZ range on Bulldog.co.za and im quite interested in them, but only if they make a useful hunting/pest control weapon.Whats your thoughts on this model?

1 other thing, i went to go get some new pellets for my gun and took it with me.On the way back i stopped at a sports field with no one on and saw a myna, and tested the new pellets in my springer with them.Anyways, i got the critter, but is one actually allowed to shoot on a sports field, particularly a big one and of course like i said no one was on it anyway, just plenty of Mynas?

Im not sure what the law is on that, because a sports field is a pritty wide open space, and it was a fair distance from residentail houses.

Any way , thx for the advice.

Veer

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

With a PCP you will enjoy recoilless pinpoint accuracy. There are silencers available for them to keep them quiet. I wouldn't shoot on a sport field as it is a public place which could result in you getting into a heap of trouble from the police. Keep it safe and out of the publics prying eyes. Once you have shot a PCP you wont go back to a springer.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I shoot my springers more often than my PCps:..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

if u need power + accuracy... use a pcp...

if u need challenge... use a springer...

i like chellenge... i mean serious challenge... that's why i shoot my slingshot more offen than anything...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

boondock said: "if u need power + accuracy... use a pcp...

i like chellenge... i mean serious challenge... that's why i shoot my slingshot more offen than anything..."

That's y I shoot my compound bow now more than my air rifles...

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

oondock said: "if u need power + accuracy... use a pcp...

i like chellenge... i mean serious challenge... that's why i shoot my slingshot more offen than anything..."
    and fucius said:"That's y I shoot my compound bow now more than my air rifles..."
    That’s why I hunt with a pocket-knife and gut the grass on the lawn with nail clippers!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

nickswin jou clown!!!!!

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Veervortex, it seems like only Javz has answered your question to a point.

The difference between a PCP and a springer is as follow:
    Normally the pcp is much more expensive, but there are exceptions.
    The pcp's are extremely accurate. The only springers that come close, are just as expensive, if not more.
    Pcp's can be silenced very effectively, but normally the Mynah's will hear the shot, but will not be scared of so much, as when shot at with a springer.

The CZ's, are excellent value for money, and very accurate.

The law states that you are not allowed to discharge a fire arm inside a munisipal area. Although a .177 pellet gun is not classified as a firearm, munisipal bylaws must be adhered to concerning the firing of pellet guns inside a built up area. If you do it, be very carefull. It could land you in a lot of trouble.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I will just add that spriners kill scopes, PCPs don't and you get away with a cheaper scope and never have to worry about when the scope will have to be replaced......

I have a CZ 200S myself, really great value, accurate right out of the box, no tuning required, much easier to full up as the tank is removable. my only complain is that the stock is non-adjustable and is on the short side (the cheek piece too low for most scopes as well) and the scope rail is in 3 pieces so you might not be able to mount certain scopes.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Spring gun versus PCP, well I think one thing to point out is there are spring guns and spring guns. If you buy a cheap and cheerful springer do not expect it to be some magnificent piece of kit.

If you want a decent spring gun then you need to look at the likes of Weihrauch, Air Arms, RWS, BSA and Theoben (gas ram rather than metallic spring, but they recoil when you fire them). These are pretty much the best of the current factory spring guns.

The other common makes I would rate as only good for casual work.

If you get a good quality spring gun and learn how to shoot it properly then you will shoot a pcp far better, spring guns demand a precise and consistent technique and will not tolerate any sloppiness, something that pcp's will do (which can actually lead to a deterioration in your technique).

In terms of quietness, yes the spring gun will be slightly noisier, it has a lot going on at the point of firing, and all the mechanics are right next to your ear. Tune the action and add a good silencer and the spring gun can be made a lot quieter. I was standing next to a guy shooting an AA Pro-Sport at an FT comp yesterday and standing a couple of metres from him you could hardly hear the discharge of the rifle, the pellet hitting the target was more noticeable.

Despite what Stopper says it is not automatic that a spring gun will kill a scope, however if you try and force high power out of a spring gun causing harsh recoil or use cheap rubbish scopes then a scope failure is a possibility. Put a decent quality scope on a good springer and they are fine.

PCP's because of the lack of needing to compress the air at the moment of firing don't feature the recoil of a spring gun, all they have is a striker hitting a valve stem to release air from the reservoir as a result there is less mechanical noise but much more muzzle blast. Use a decent silencer and they are very quiet

They are capable of going to higher power than spring guns, and in a much lighter and compact package.

They are easier to shoot and you can get away with using cheap crap scopes if you feel the need to.

The only downside to PCP is the need for charging kit, which increase the initial financial outlay when purchasing them.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

That I think is the best answer so far. Dale, can I quote you on that on my own site under FAQ's. A lot of people ask that question.

Just to add to that, the more expensive springers can be very good and can easily outshoot the skills of an average shooter.

Just ask Jaco (JVL) what he thinks of springers after last Saturday. He used to hate them, and now... well I think he's hooked.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Farmer, feel free to quote me if you like.

RAGGITY's Avatar RAGGITY

springers can have a heavier trigger aswell as a heavier overall weight, especially with the under levers with ft or similar stocks

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yes but that extra weight helps to absorb the recoil and good springers have good triggers!