Thread: All rounder air rifle

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default All rounder air rifle

Hi everybody,

I do not have an air rifle at the moment but are planning to buy an S400 air rifle. I want to use the rifle in Field Target, bench rest shooting and general plinking. What is the best S400 classic or carbine. Is there any other makes of air rifle I should consider? What is a good scope to use?
    Is there any FT clubs in or near Kempton Park?

Any help will be appreciated!

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Wicus, the S400 classic is in my oppinion the best one to buy. With the slightly longer barrel, it is more ballanced for FT, and will do very well off the bench. The larger air cylinder on the classic is also better for a 50 x Target course.

The S400 is a excellent rifle that competes with the most expensive rifles on the market, and in my oppinion, stil the best value for money PCP you could buy.

If you want to do FT on a compettitive level, you will have to look at a big magnification scope, like a 10 - 50 Lynx, or Nikko Stirling, or the new 6 - 32 AGS, purely to judge your distances correctly.

Your nearest club is in Benoni,(Airgun Fanatix), and Deon, or Hennie (Sniper) could be contacted to join up.

We welcome you to FT, and may you get as much fun and satisfaction out of it as we all do.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Well said PietSKiet

S400 std with one of the big FT scopes...awesome combo

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Wicus,

I am also new to the wonderfull world of Airguns. Let me share my experience with you regarding the rifle that you buy.
    First off, I bought a Weihrauch HW97k, this is a spring rifle, I was very happy with it until I went to a club for some practice one day. I did not research the hobby alot before I made my first purchase. So, I was exposed to the PCP rifles, and how wonderful they are to shoot. So I decided that if I wanted to compete in FT, I would require a PCP rifle. Out to the shops and bought a Weihrauch HW100 PCP rifle. This was a very good rifle and I enjoyed shooting it. After the setting up of the rifle, scope and trigger it was a tremendous amount of fun.
    I decided to see what FT was all about and attended a competition as a bystander. I was not confident enough to partake. After that FT shoot I realised that if you want to be serious about the sport/ hobby like most of the members, I might need something more than a PCP rifle. And so I saw RACE GUNS, well that is whatthe owners call them, and when you see these rifles you will understand why. They are specifically designed for FT competitions!
    Once again I felt discouraged and ended up getting another rifle.
    So the point is, you can save yourself allot of time and money if you know exactly what you want to do, and what rifles are available! My advise, do as much research as posible!!!

I must confess that it is a wonderfull sport and that you will find everybody extremely helpfull and great fun, truelly a sport to enjoy!!

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Yes Werner, I agree. Shop around first before you buy. You must have peace in your mind that you have bought what you realy wanted.
    Yes it is nice to own a racegun. (I own one myself) It is very adjustable, normally you could get more shots out of it, because its regulated, and it is very accurate.

But let me tell you, the S400 is just as accurate, at less than half the price. You must never feel overwhelmed by the presence of so many race guns at the shoots. Look at the prize givings after a match, and see where the majority of prizes go to. (not always the top score, but a lot of the other prizes)

You must never be under the impression that you have to own a racegun, to be compettitive.

If all of us think that a racegun is a must to shoot at the highest level, or just been compettitive, our sport that we love so dearly, will colapse due to a financial burden that we have placed on it ourselves.

Yes, there is a lot of talk and mockery on this forum about the different rifles, and their owners, but that is just for the fun of it. I will put money on the fact that the top shots will shoot equily well with any make, after he or she had time to set it up properly for them self, and got the feel of it. (race gun or not)

It all depends on yourself. If you got the money to spend on a race gun, and that it is the only thing that will make you happy, and make you feel confidant in yourself, then buy it.
    But by no means is it a neccesity to perform well.

Personal skill and abbility, more than any thing else, will bring you the furthest, not the price of your rifle.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Wicus,

For the use you have stated you would a make a good all round choice with the S400. Although it is a basic rifle it is inherently accurate and reliable and can be worked on in stages to bring it up to equal anything out there, see here for what I have done in the past: http://airrifle.co.za/e107_plugins/c...php?content.43

Also last week a member of my club asked me to modify his S400 to FT use:

Deadlinks_imagefiles/ft400.jpg[/img]

The base rifle was an S400 classic, now has long cylinder/muzzle weight conversion. The stock is an FT stock of uncertain make originally to fit a Daystate action modified to accept the S400, I traded it to him for his walnut sporter stock. Had I not had this stock I wouldf have recomended either adapting his sporter stock or ordering one of the GINB stocks from Antonio in Bali who makes them at very good prices and of a superb design.

Regarding Werner1619's comments, do not think that having a racegun is a pre-requisite for competing in FT - just look at Jason Guthries performance at the 2006 Worlds using a slightly modified S400. It all comes down to the operator. For what it is worth, based on how he phrased it, I would say he should have tried shooting his HW100 before pronouncing it unsuited to the game - it can be adapted to the requirements very easily at far less cost.

Also the kind of raceguns you might see referred to most often e.g. Dominator, LG100/110, FWB P70, Anschutz - these aren't specifically designed for FT, they are adapted 10m rifles.

The true FT raceguns are the likes of the old AA Shamal FT / TM100 / NJR100 / Pro-Target / EV2, Daystate CR-94 / CR-97 / CR-X, Ripley AR4 / AR5 / AR5S, SportsMatch GC2, ISP Airstream, Zenith and Mick Dawes Special to name a few.

It strikes me that people who get into FT still confuse need with want - they see the flashy kit and want it - nothing wrong with that it's their money and their choice, just don't try and justify it by saying it is needed. There is a hell of a lot to be gained by learning the ropes with simple kit and upgrading as you understand the requirements.

IMO, one of the really important things is to get a scope that rangefinds well, as the difference between the rifles is far less marked than when I first started FT in 1989.

I do own a large number of the older classic FT 'raceguns', as I collect them, and despite them not being the current fashion accessory they will equal the performance of any of the current superguns that people like to use.

I can't in any way disagree with Piet's last sentence above, that truly hits the nail on the head!

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

All I could add, if permitted to, is that of the "modern" race guns only the EV2 was designed with FT in mind with everything you would require such as a "swing out dumpy level" and "wind indicator", not too heavy, even with the big Nikko Stirling or Lynx scope riding on it. The rest of them, as Dale said was modified to comply with requirements for FT shooting. They do very well also, but the statement that they were designed for FT is not true, in the real sense of the word.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thank you to everybody's replies! I appreciate the help! It looks like a S400 is the way to go and I can modify it later on as I grow in the sport. Will certainly call on Dale for any help!

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

[quote1170865602=Piet Skiet]
    Yes Werner, I agree. Shop around first before you buy. You must have peace in your mind that you have bought what you realy wanted.
    [/quote1170865602]

Piet , I agree with you .In general if you dont like something it will nrver jell with you.