Thread: Gremlins!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Gremlins!

The other day a me and a friend of mine were doing some 48yd indoor shooting, he with his bam an me with my S400 when suddenly the bam started throwing shots wide by about 2 inches on average. The last time saw that happen, it was somebodies springer ( the 1000 fps type) and I quickly traced the problem to a deceased Nikko Stirling 3-9x40!

Now with the bam not being a springer and the pressure in the gun being fine and the muzzle brake secured with an o-ring to support the classic floppy barrel, can anyone possibly shed some light on what the problem could be!

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

barrel may need an o-ring to be squeezed tight between the muzzle brake and the collar...BAM barrels are often loose in their retaining collars

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Is there a silencer fitted.If so check to see if it is not loose.Also check that the muzzle brake is fitted tight.I had a problem like that and found the muzzle brake's screws loose on my S400. Are the pellets a good brand ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I gotta say the bams are rather fuzzy sometimes, my buddies' and my bams have suffer from the following problems in the past:

1) the o-ring over or under the transfer port cracked
    2) the screw that locks the power adjustment screw is loose and the thing keeps getting shorter (or powerful) to a point that it won't be accurate due to supersonic distrubence.
    3) loose that muzzle brake, it is too small to hold the gas, and the trubence may mess with the pellet's flight.
    4) the seal over the bolt probe is gone.
    5 very common (happen to my cz too) the screw that attachs the action to the stock is loose....check that and the 4 screws that bolts the action on the tube....

when all else fails, sent the thing to Warrick.....

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

Andrew
    You will have to shoot the rifle over a chrony to see if there is a potential velocity fluctuation.... Mine gave inconsistencies at much shorter range than 48 yards and the problem was solved by replacing the pellet feeder probe neoprene O-ring in the front... Put some tissue paper over the pellet feed trough and see if it moves when you shoot the pellet.... Mine was losing so much air that I could feel it on my fingers when shooting...
    Do not fine-tune the BAM too much, otherwise you might find it will outshoot the S400 easily......!!!!!

Malan

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

[quote1171348697=Stopper]

when all else fails, sent the thing to Warrick.....
    [/quote1171348697]

I think there is a lot to be learnt from trying to fix the problem yourself.If you know you dont have the skill or knowlege then rather let somebody else who does work on your gun.PCP's are not to be messed with if you are clue less.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the response guy,s. the muzzle brake has long since been secured with the prevebial o-ring sandwich but I,m with Allan on this one, I,m no airrifle mechanic and what I know about the inner workings of these devices can only be dangerous. So off it goes to a qualified person!