Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hatsan Model-55 is fine

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Hatsan Model-55 is fine

I had been looking at various rifles including some of the gas powered ones.Personally I just don't like gas guns. I know they are just as powerfull (or even more) and much more accurate,but you need to refill them all the time and take a huge diving cilinder with you to the hunting farm!

I have recently purchased a Hatsan 55. It came complete with riflebag,Nikko Stirling Airking telescope,400 bullets and even a hunting cap! All this for only R1290.00! That's less than $110 us dollars!

I love the look of this rifle. It's body is constructed from turkish walnut and this looks like a real gun I do say! I realy don't like these sentethic bodies you find on so many of the new rifles.

And don't get me started on the power. With the Crosman Premier 10.5 grain pellets, it goes straight through a plate of zink metal (this material is used for shack roofs etc). It also flies trough a phonebook and a 2.5cm (1 inch) thick plate of presswood!

And it is accurate enough allright. I shoot a 1cm(half an inch) grouping with ease at 30 feet.

I have been to a local dealer and tested the Gamo CFX. This rifle cost double the price and didn't come with anything. I was unimpressed. At 15 feet I couldn't seem to get a decent grouping!

Sure you get some rifles like BSA (to name only one) , that are better, but for 5 times the price!

I love this gun and if I ever want to upgrade, it would be to the model 125 or maybe the BSA Lightnig XL.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

In that case dont shoot a PCP because everyone on this forum can promise you that you will want more!!!!

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

Vuilhond, I agree with you... the Hatsan is very good for the price, but you don't want the 125. The thing is a beast. Powerfull, but huge, heavy, unbalanced, and shooting all over the place.

On the other hand, XL is great!!!

SimonS, not everybody share your enthusiasm for PCP.
    I shot with a few different PCP rifles, had one for awhile, sold it, and now use a BSA Supersport (.177) and a HW97KL (.20)

I'll never go back to PCP again.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The HW97L is in a class of it's own. Cannot compare it to the Hatsan. Will sell my left .... for it. Already sold the right one for all my other toys. LOL

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

[quote1171892182=Farmer]
    Vuilhond, I agree with you... the Hatsan is very good for the price, but you don't want the 125. The thing is a beast. Powerfull, but huge, heavy, unbalanced, and shooting all over the place.

On the other hand, XL is great!!!

Thanks for the advice Farmer- I think I have heard that before...
    I just wanna go out and buy that BSA , but I just can't justify it. Haven't even had the Hatsan for 2 weeks yet!

I'm affraid the virus has infected me. It's all over for me now...

SimonS, not everybody share your enthusiasm for PCP.
    I shot with a few different PCP rifles, had one for awhile, sold it, and now use a BSA Supersport (.177) and a HW97KL (.20)

I'll never go back to PCP again.
    [/quote1171892182]

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

Vuilhond

I like your style, man..... Once you are hooked, you are hooked for life.....!!!!!
    Some days are better than others, but the feeling to get more and more out of the sport never disappears completely....
    As far as different opinions about rifles are concerned, that is exactly what is so intriguing about the whole journey, to experiment and experience the different types of rifles....
    Read as much as you can about the reviews, but eventually it is only you who can make the choice what you want to shoot and what you can afford....

Happy shooting

Malan

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hey Malan!

Thanks for the reply. Yes that is exactly how I feel about this sport and in fact about most new ones I tackle.

What are you shooting at the mo and what would you recommend?

I see you are situated in Stellenbosch, I wil be in stellenbosch for the better part of the year. Would be Cool to have someone with experience in this field near by.

Regards
    Braam

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

Vuilhond

I have replied by e-mail to your request. Please PM if you did not receive the mail...
    My understanding of the difference between Springers and PCP's could be misinterpretated by some people....
    We do not need such criticism on the Forum....

Happy shooting

Malan

Protea FT Team '09/'11/'12/'15/'16
    SAFTAA FT Colours '14

User Info Menu

Vuilhond

Shoot what ever you like, nobody else has to. As long as you like it and enjoy it, that's fine. Happy hunting.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ditto mihki !

Vuilhond , if you and that Hatsan gel , and it does good for you stay with it !

I have 2 airguns that work well for me , and I some how dont think I'll change !

My AA S400 and my AA ts200HC . Both feel really great , both shoot tight and true .

I too have had a fair few "dogs" that I have'nt got to grips with , ever and these have now gone on to others who love them !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Gerry and Mihki,

Thanks for your replies.

I appreciate the fact that you are not trying to force feed me the rifles that you think I ought to be shooting. This is my first airgun ( well first 1000fps and even with a scope - I have had an old BSA since forever , but...yes..it's VERY old) and I am loving it for what it is.
    I think there is a fair chance that I will upgrade in the future (already drewling over that BSA Lightning xl) , but I don't think I can justify or afford that quite yet. For now this Hatsan does what I want it to and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it - have already become too attached to it

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Vuilhond,
    Please croney your rifle and let us know what speed it puts out with a decent 8.4 grain pellet. (Not 1000ft/sec.) Very few, if any, does that.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Where would you have that done? Gun shop? All I can tell you now is that with a 10.5 grain rounded pellet at short range , it shoots through a phonebook and a zinc metal plate (separate tests)

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

unfortunately a very powerful cheap springer is bound to suffer from severe inaccuracy and will kill scopes indiscriminately.

best to tune them down slightly...makes them easier to shoot, improves the trigger [sometimes] and improves accuracy using 8gr pellets.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yes Vuilhond, at a gun shop like Hennie's in Boksburg you can have that done. I don't know if any of the gun shops has the facility to do it in Pretoria. Be careful, I don't say it is so in your case, but manufactures use 6 grain pellets, or lighter to crony their rifles and then tell you your rifle will shoot at goodness know what speed. Apparently it sells rifles. The norm is 8.5 grain pellets. It gives you a very fair idea of how much power your rifle kicks out. Shooting through a telephone book? My Gamo 1000 Shadow runs just over 900 Ft/sec. with AA 8.4 grain pellets and I can only get through around 300 pages at about 15 meters. If you can shoot a 10.5 grain pellet through a telephone book, even a country town's book somewhere out in the sticks, with more than 300 pages, you have a very powerful rifle. It will definitely not shoot through an average Johannesburg telephone book with 1000+ pages. I dont expect a rim fire .22 can do that. Let me say at this late stage that Im not by any measure a boffin on springers, but it sounds wrong for a normal springer to be able to do that with normal lead pellets.