Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deviations on successive shots...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Deviations on successive shots...

Hello everyone, long time...
    Seems some of you have done some extensive testing. Maybe you can help answer my question without all the hard work involved in something that could be totally insignificant.

Have you picked up any deviations in groupings with successive short interval shots (within a minute) versus longer intervals, say the first shot at the next round on an FT course? I guess my question could relate to barrel temperature or perhaps something in the mechanics. Not sure if this is sugnificant at all???

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Hello Pale Rider.My Father inlaw had such a problem and I believe the problem stems from the regulator.

May be time to service the gun.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Since I have been living here in UK , I am told by all the Gurus that the AA S 400 likes its barrel to be cleaned .

I was told that this is a major cause of the slight variation that I had with shot to shot placement in my AA S400.

I hav'nt been able to try out this theory yet , but . . . .

Too many different people have told me the same thing .

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Im not a guru but I get better now that I dont clean the barrel.I should clean it for kicks and see if it inproves things.Just not a pleasant job.

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

ask piet the walther are so hot at the moment that you cant leave the pellet loaded for to long in the barrel berfore it starts to melt and this does cause POI shift. this is why piet shoots a couple out into the ground and reloads. but i suppose this is what comes with having the best

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Allan ,
    you should see some of the new cleaning kits over here , makes you wanna clean and clean , just to use your new toy .

I got a real cool set from Napier when I bought my AA TX200 HC .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. What I was really on about is if there is something in these deviations (still not sure if they exist) that you keep in mind at a shoot. Like maybe you do a little compensation on the first shot.

Reason for my question is I once went to a shoot at Leeukop and was shooting with Jason Guthries and he did something perculiar a couple of times. He dry fired before a new round started. I never asked him about it but it got me thinking... There is probable a whole warehouse of stuff I don't know about this game yet. Then I heard about these deviations so I thought I'd come ask you guys. The guy who told me about the deviations doesn't even shoot but he told me about it? Damn, don't I know anything about this???

Oh, yeah, I still don't know what the dry firing's impact may be either.... ???

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

From what Jason has done in front of me and told me it is aparent that he believes this helps the consistancy of the gun.(Sven is even a greater believer than Jason in this )I think it helps more when you have a regulator to do this.(not that I do it)

I have also seen Jason do it from time to time to get his shooting presure onto his "sweetspot"

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I seem to remember reading "Do not dry fire" somewhere in a manual......Steyr LG110's do have a dry fire facility though, just doesnt release the air. Apart from blowing the spiders out of the barrel, I dont much see the point.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Brian,
    Welcome back!!!!
    The popular believe is that dry firing one or two shots will settle the regulator and do away with static after having filled the tank, in both regulated and or unregulated rifles. What the static does or don’t do, I'm not quite sure. Surly the regulator must un-settle again after having waited for your mates to finish shooting before you shoot again. Do you have to dry fire again then? Just asking.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi G'man.Never heard that one before! Where is this static stored I wonder? Does it come zapping out of the barrel like the BFG in Doom? If it does then I want some of that...hehe!

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

the regulator can slowly leak over time and the first shot can be underpowered...simple really

no point in dry firing an S400...maybe it just settles the mind..

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

[quote1172782945=guido]

no point in dry firing an S400...maybe it just settles the mind..
    [/quote1172782945]

Now I more fall into this sort of thinking.If it works for you ,there is no person that will tell you its wrong.

As GerrieF said there are those that believe in the Static theory.(firing up to 20 dry shots to get rid of it).From an analitic point of view I cant see that it could be.Then again I am not a guru as I said.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I will now fire a few dry shots (I will do 20 now), tap the turret after every adjustment which must always be done from the same direction, after every adjustment, weight the pellets, measure the pellets, only put my left foot over the right in the FT position, tie my shoe laces in a certain matter, shoot with both eyes open, close my mouth, breath three times in and out then let out the forth only half way etc.
    Oh Sh*t, why bother, I'm tired before I start shooting. Might be the reason why I don't do so well. Ha ha ha hie hie Happy shooting!!!!!

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

gerrief

If you dry fire 20 and let out the fourth only half way, I am glad that you are all the way in Kempton Park and not down here....
    Imagine sharing a Field Target lane with you....!!!!!!
    Ag, nee..... Sies, man

Malan