Thread: Gamo CFX - the trade...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Gamo CFX - the trade...

Well I'm sitting here with a Gamo CFX. She was incredibly dusty (thank God not rusty) , but for the rest in tip top condition. I believe the guy when he says she has only fired about 100shots. Fired it at the phonebook and she has more than enough power. Tested the grouping at 15meters and shot a 1cm grouping. Scope is the Old Airking - not as nice as the one I had but ok. After doing these tests I bought her. Brought her back home and treated her to some oil and a lot of TLC. She shines like new now. Very happy with the new lady in my life.

Got loads of Diablo Boxer pellets with it. Are they any good?? And I got some "Prometheus Pellets" too. Those yellow plastic ones with the metal heads. Are they any good? They shoot straight though a phonebook for one thing...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Vuilhond,
    Before you do anything, first throw away that plastic rubbish. It is bad for your barrel. THEY will melt, I've seen it happen. IF you hit something with that crap it does damage, but the” if” is big.

You have BOXER (TN) pellets by CZ not Diablo (TN).They are the best sharp nosed pellets I came across so far A.F.A. accuracy is concerned. All pellets are...watch the spelling.. D I A B O L O… shaped. Don't get confused. The Diabolo shape is the only shape for a projectile that can be fired out of an air rifle at moderate speed and still be accurate. We are not talking about balls and big bore air rifles. Have you seen air rifle ammunition in “boat tail” form? You won't. They don't work in the air rifle we shoot. Some dealers don't even know this and they sell you pellets they know nothing about. Nothing can beat shot placement, not pellets and nor can power. The best all rounder is the round nose JSB, AA, FX etc, etc. Even “Marksman” is better than that plastic rubbish. My Shadow quite like the Marksmens as a matter of fact, but it is like booze for your children; they want it but you don’t allow it. Ha ha

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thaks a lot for the tip Gerrief - luckly haven't shot that plastic stuff yet cos I had my doubts about them. I bought some more of the 10.5 grain Crosman premier rounded pellets since they worked so well in the Hatsan. So I'll be using the BOXER and the Crosman pellets for now - can't get my hands on those JSB's!

By the way - is it safe to shoot those white cotton "cleaning pellets" with these 1000fps rifles?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Those felt pellets work OK in my rifle, but you gotta load at least 3 in sucsession, the middle one oiled (drip oil onto it when loaded into the breech), the last one dry again (to prevent dieseling effect). I only do this every 500 pellets, 'cause as some of these chaps will also tell you, most springers don't like being too squeky clean, some leading preferable. Otherwise the best is still to pull an oiled patch through.
    Comments anybody else?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

dont bother with the felt pellets, throw them away too...

lube your pellets with Pledge furniture wax spray...works very well for springers with no chance of dieselling..,..a lot of the US FT shooters use this.

MOT: Thomson Pneumatic Rifles

User Info Menu

Vuilhond,

The Boxer pellets are good, but the wieghts vary and they are not maked on the box, pellets wiegh either 7.9gn or 10.3, they are not mixed though and if u batch your pellets as to the printed code on the back u will keep wieghts to gether. Stick to the heavier pellets with The CFX as the lighter ones cause to much piston slap and will damage your rifle. Likewise stay away from the felt cleaning wads, rather take +-1.2m of 1.6mm weed eater cord and double it, feed the two loose ends in from the breach (put your safety on as the rifle port can only be opened when cocked, this is to prevent dry fireing as the port to the barrel is blocked), cut some 2.5X 2.5mm squares from some std gun cleaning cotton cloth and fold two to three times to get a tight fit, place in the loop at the breach and pull through untill barrel clean. If u are packing your rifle away and will not shoot it for a few weeks (yea right!) run an oil patch through to "dress" the raw steel of the rifling, run two or three dry patches through before firing again.
    Happy shooting

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The cleaning felts can be used in a springer as long as you put a pellet behind the felt. I used to clean my barrel after every shoot but I have found that it shoots better without a polished barrel. I haven't cleaned the barrel in my CFX since about 3000 shots ago. The lead in the barrel helps smooth out the impurities and works like a lubricant by providing a smooth slippery surface.

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

i use pull throughs every 300-500 rounds. the poi does not seem change and the grouping is still 100%