Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cairo African Championships

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

Default Cairo African Championships

Final still to come---Egyptians leading men and women events in Air Rifle.Winners get quota places for their country to the 2008 Olympic Games.One quota place per event ---so no quota place no Olympics 2008.

User Info Menu

Tessa Cloete Durbanville schoolgirl wins Gold in Ladies Air Rifle after finals.
    Bianca Bekker --8th.
    Jani vanWyk --9th

Men.
    Ryno de Jager--4th.
    Etienne Biddulph--5th.
    Ruan du Preez--6th.

Congrats. Tessa and well done to the rest of the South African Team--all juniors still--wait until they get more big match experience--great future!

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Tessa Cloete off to the Olympics then ?

Well done to our shooteres.

User Info Menu

Tessa winning gives SA a quota place to the Olympics.
    Does not necessarily mean SA will take up the place or that Tessa herself will go, only significance at this stage is that SA is now allowed to send a lady air rifle shooter if they wish. Other criteria now come into play----complicated?---yes!

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I dont know.I think thats not fair.If she erned a spot it should be hers to enjoy .

User Info Menu

Good reason though Allan--due to entries to the Olympics being restricted in numbers and qualifying matches being held all over the World long before the actual Olympics the form horse now might not be the top shooter in say 12 months time so a country has the benefit of sending the best shooters at that time to the Games--we saw that happen with our first FT team to the WC.in 2005---the 2006 team had a different makeup--some come up others lose their edge---sport at that level is unfortunately tough and no place for the faint hearted.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

MMP I am not sure i agree with you.With all respect the young lady put her money where her mouth is .I think she should get the opertunity unless she does not feel she is capable.I do understand that it would be best to send the shooter on top form to the Olympics.All i can say is if I qualified and could not go a year later I would be real depressed.i hope Tessa gets the opertunity!

As far as the 2005 FT Team goes.I was not shooting FT back then so cant comment on the form of the guys.I think it is unfair to compare them to the 2006 Team.In 2006 the guys knew what they were in for thanks to the 2005 squad.Another point I believe may have made a bit of an inprovement is that the 2006 team were awarded Protea colors.I mat be wrong but I believe that may have helped incourage then to train just a bit harder.

User Info Menu

Hi Allan,
    Not my opinion just the way the system works.The top countries in the 10m game are professionals and their goal is to win at all costs---in my opinion that is not good for amateur sport---the elitism story that we must guard against in the other enjoyable "for everybody"sports.
    Colours were applied for the 2005 FT.Team but yes ---FT improved a lot once the SA. guys returned and their 2006 results showed just that.
    I will tell Tessa that she has a secret sympathiser and fan---good for you..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sorry to revive this thread...my friend came across it and sent it to me.

I am Tessa Cloete and i wasn't sent to the Olympic Games because i was not good enough
    So they gave back my quota place and it was given to an Egyptian girl whom i'm friends with. She came 2nd at the comp where i won the quota. This all sounds very fair hey?

Anyway, life goes on.
    BTW why is there a SANSSU section but not a SAARA? 0o
    and may i ask who MMP and Allan is? PM me plz

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hey Tessa, no PM's, we wanna know what's goin on!

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that Tessa

Sometimes the "good" intentions makes sense but in this case it is just going to leave all invoved bitter. Hope you can show them in the next comp that you are still the best and maybe the perceptions has changed by then. Come join us for some Field Target. I can assure you you wont be left out for qouta reasons.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JTK View Post
    Sorry to hear that Tessa

Sometimes the "good" intentions makes sense but in this case it is just going to leave all invoved bitter. Hope you can show them in the next comp that you are still the best and maybe the perceptions has changed by then. Come join us for some Field Target. I can assure you you wont be left out for qouta reasons.
    Ditto, and thanks for joining the forum. We are behind you all the way

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '17/'19

User Info Menu

Hi Tessa, welcome to the forum. MMP is Mike Potgieter of SANSSU and Allan Riedel is the treasurer of SAFTAA.

I'm certain that Spyker would gladly open a section for SAARA if they would like to have one.

Give my regards to your dad and bad luck with your selection problem - we all know what an excellent shooter you are.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Welcome Tessa

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanJan View Post
    I'm certain that Spyker would gladly open a section for SAARA if they would like to have one.
    Why would we open a section for the "Substance Abuse and Addiction Recovery Alliance"?

Ok, no jokes, according to the SAARA (SA Air Rifle Association) website:

SAARA is the OFFICIAL and ONLY National Controlling Body for Air Rifle shooting in South Africa as recognised by the South African Shooting Sport Federation (SASSF), the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) and Sport and Recreation South Africa (SRSA).