Thread: Barrel shroud

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Barrel shroud

Anybody know the benefits of a barrel shroud and wot it actually does?

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

depends.
    it must either hold the barrel so that it does not move, or it must not touch it so that the barrel is free floating but with a shroud on it.

i have put on a carbon one but the barrel itself is free floating.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Okaaaaayy, but what does it actually do? Help silence the rifle or what? I like the carbon idea....

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

silence..

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Thermic , the idae I have is that is is a built on full length silencer.Problem is a few of my good mates like Errol the Dom have them for BLING effect with noreduced outlet to kill the sound.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

So it's a big volumetric silencer. Is it better than an effective "normal" one?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The only way to silence the sound is by fitting baffles in the shroud,normally about three , for the silencing effect. The benefit of a shroud is more for cosmetic appearances such as giving the rifle a real macho bull barrel look. Another benefit to putting in baffles ahead of the barrel inside the shroud is to fit another silencer at the end of the shroud or better still a muzzle brake. Shrouds were introduced mainly for the American market as silencers threre are banned in most states hence a shroud with baffles in it.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I allways thought that the shroud was conceived in order to allow one to have a free floating barrel, without the risk of a knock to the barrel affecting the accuracy.

I once read a book about silencer design. The author argued that more than one baffle (excluding the one at the end) is a waste, as it does not decrease the sound more than a single baffle. The most important factor, according to him, was that the exit hole be as small as possible without affecting the bullet.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Is there anyone making them here or will I need to DIY it or import? Could be an interesting project. I've got a BSA Ultra and don't like how long the silencer makes it - almost doubles the barrel length!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It is also to prevent heat "waves" rising off a hot rife barrel distorting the sight/scope picture (dunno if this applies to airguns - but barrels still get bloody hot in the African sun)

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

In respect of air rifles the barrel shroud has generally two functions.

First with the 10 metre derived rifles the shroud allows a long sight radius while retaining a shorter barrel e.g RN10/CA100, Anschutz, Steyr.

Second are those shrouds designed to offer sound reduction, e.g AA S400 Xtra, Theoben MFR.

Enterprising individuals such as Guido have converted their barrel shrouds to act as a silencer (Steyr. My Pro-Target's carbon fibre shroud has an integral muzzle brake.

Some shrouds perform no function e.g Dominator, other than to add unwanted weight, hence why the likes of Errol are replacing them with more aesthetically pleasing lightweight alternatives.