Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice pellets?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Ice pellets?

I don't know if any one whatches a program on the discovery channel called myth busters, they find different myths and test them to see if they are true.Any way one of the myths was that a bullet could be made out of ice and when shot would hit and kill some one and disolve into the blood stream thus leaving no evedance for the police. They tested it and could not get it to work because it would get too hot and just come out the barrel as a puff of water vapour. What i was thiking is wouldn't it work with PCP's because there is not nearly as much heat. Just an interesting topic if any one's interested?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Interesting yes. I have heard of this 'theory' before but never really thought about it.

PCP's will also generate a little heat, I mean friction creates heat creates yet more friction etc..

Wonder if anyone has attempted to do a frozen sugar / gelatin and water mix. This would slow the melting process down, if it would be slow enough I'm not sure though. Maybe even perhaps a wax based round would suffice in the fact that the impact would destroy it enough so that no forensics evidence would be able to tie it to the weapon that fired it. A good barrel cleaning would be required afterwards though. Well - I should imagine.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ha! Just remembered .... yes it was a long time ago...

When I was a kid me and my mate had very underpowered spring rifles, really really old things....

We took some Marksman pellets, added mercury into the skirts and plugged it with some candle wax.

We fired it at his garage door but it didn't really do anything other than look spectacular and create a mess. I don't think anything will grow in that area of the garden though. What with all the mercury in the soil. Think we used up about 30 thermometers to source the mercury. His mom was a nurse.
    Idle hands are the devils work, aka - bored kids on holiday with nowt to do.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

We used lumps of plastithene ( spelling ? )

Killed a neighbours chicken ! obviously no forensics back then , they probably thought it'd died of premature old age !

I think the theory of the race horse , Sea Cottage " was that it'd been shot with an ice bullet , cause they had an entry wound , lots of meat damage , no exit wound & no bullet inside the nag ! There again , was it dry ice , cause water ice would've melted out of a .308 at 100m away . I cant remember the out come , although I think the horse still won the Durban July .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I don't think Mythbusters wanted to prove the theory, can you imagine teaching the world how to make there own ice ammunition.
    Sudden rise in assassinations no?? :shoot:
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Mon Mar 07 2005, 10:00AM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yes i would think that too because they also did myths about fooling the Alchohol level testing machine thing and they did that at a police station. I doubt that the police would have let them broad cast it if one of the myths where true!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Round icecubes work great in a catapult.
    Mind they go through a window just as easy as a stone.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

Thats absolute BALLS!!!! an ice bullet will never work! even in a pellet gun where theres no fire. in a real gun, you have unbelievable fire power behind the bullet, it will melt it within centimeters going down the barrel. as for a pellet gun, already mentioned, there is friction as the pelet goes down the barrel. as it would go down the barrel, where the pellet comes in contact the the rifleling, there will be friction, and will melf the ice, and will melt the diameter of the pellet smaller, causing the air to escape throu the sides of the pellet and the rifleing. The water will also Poke your gun.... rust inside the main chambers. Maybe the police deveolped a very special thing, but not ice as we know it.....

ice's Avatar ice

What about a shell, with the frozen stuff inside, shell fall away after leaving the barrel!

By the way, is someone planning a hit or something?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sssshhhh! Perhaps the less we know the better we're off.

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

we not the one with a skull under our nick avion hehe

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Conspiracy Theorists - unite! !amazed

I still have that conversation of you and Lee Harvy Oswald on tape Jason.

mmm gimme a big nikko and I'll chuck it in the bin. 8)

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

hehe, look at the blood dripping down the screan...

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

so we are talking about a .177 shell and inside this shell is an even smaller ice particle...mmm...no

Sharp Shooter
    Protea FT Team '06

User Info Menu

thanks guido, basically its a cuck idea that someones fart got to the brain.... sorry for them