Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I even bother?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Should I even bother?

Hi everybody, new here.

Could you guys please point me in the right direction. I have just started looking around, and wow, have things changed since I shot my "windbuks" the last time.

I would be lying if I said that my motivation is anything else than to play around, but I need at least a bit of respectability in order to motivate the purchase. I am currently thinking along the lines of hunting rats (yes, we have quite a number of those on the smallholding), snakes (unfortunately we have those too), and maybe the odd Mynah.

So I guess the requirements would be as follows:
    - Range 5-10m. I don't see myself hitting a matchbox at 100m.
    - Ability to kill rats & snakes at that distance.
    - Easy to handle & quick to aim. I am thinking at least laser or red dot.
    - At night.
    - By an average shot.
    - Okay, maybe less than average shot. Let's say I'll need more than one shot. Breakneck springer won't do.
    - For around R2000. Yes, there isn't a 0 missing. If it costs more i'd rather try my luck hitting the pests with a stick.

I do not see this growing into a major hobby. I have enough expensive hobbies as it is, so a beginners kit is fine.

My intial research tells me a CO2 pistol don't have enough power, CO2 rifle too expensive, PCP too expensive, springer too slow. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Marius

-

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Since when's a CO2 rifle too expensive? If you get a low cost Chinese QB79 @ approx R700 (fed with a CO2 paintball marker bottle) and have it tuned by Warrick (on this forum, but donno what he'll ask) to give about 9ft.lbs, fit a R500 scope, attach a lamp to the scope, then what more do you need?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

OK my mates on the forum might hang me for this.

If I were you.I would be tempted to get a Crosman Nightstalker (less than R2k) It is also multi shot (12 shots magazine) .It is also semmi automatic.It is a Co2 with an Airsourse canister. (88g co2)

Or 1 of warrick's Qb's.I just dont know if they are multi shots .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i heard the Crosman Nightstalker's build quality is bit poor... lot's people have problems with plastic mag... the mag retating tooth warn out quickly and constantly jam with pellets... plus co2 leaking... co2 air source not refillable? long run cost need consider too....

in this case... i also think warrick's qb might work best...

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

One of the chinese QB78 or 79 CO2 rifles would probably be the best bet for what you are looking for. They are a single shot but for the budget you have set you aren't going to get a decent multi-shot.

The QB's are IMO very good value for money, solidly constructed and pretty accurate, plenty enough for the distances you mention.

I think a red-dot sight would be the best bet for your requirements as it will give fast target acquisition.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Mooi man!

Thanks for your responses. You just can't get the same quality of advice by running from gunshop to gunshop.

It seems that I have to choose between reliability (QB) and semi-auto (Nightstalker), with most replies pointing towards the QB. I really had a semi-auto in mind, but I guess I'll have to trust your experience. Any more thoughts on the subject? I have sent a PM to Warrick for prices.

No replies on handguns so I take it that the velocities are too low.

Any more thoughts on scopes? Dale, I assume you are also refering to a red-dot? Am I correct in assuming that red-dot scopes are more popular than lasers amongst serious shooters? Why? Also, I assume that the scope would be mounted futher away from the barrel than a laser might be. What would the effect of this be on varying distances at close range.

Once again, I'll appreciate any comments.

BTW, your site isn't working properly. I clicked on >>Downloads>>Airguns and it doesn't want to download an airgun for me.

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

I'd rather buy 2 CO2 pistols and take the vermin on "gangsta style" than spend the same amount of money on a Nightstalker.
    Velocity is about the same anyway. If the singleshot QB is going to be fast enough for you, you can just as well buy a more powerfull spinger. For less than R2000, you can get Gamo rifle with laser.

Cool thing about a laser is, you don't have to aim, you can shoot from the hip, or even backwards over your shoulder while the snake is chasing you.

Those hypervelocity pellets will do the trick in a pistol... just ask Boondock. And for the rifle I'll suggest something like predators or the Crosman / H&N hollowpoints.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi and welcome to Airrifle.co.za MvB.

One thing to keep in mind is that velocity doesn't kill, shot placement is far more important.

The springers on the market today (even the R200 jobbies on the side of the road) are more than capable of killing a rat at 30m.

User Info Menu

You can also buy one of those moerse ketties... quick reload time...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

multi-shot is not necessary if u have reasonable accuracy... for longer range than 10m... a 4x mil-dot scope will be essential...

User Info Menu

Mildots at 10m... it's not 1st April yet.
    At 10-15m you don't need a scope. My eyes are bad but even I can hit a pigeon in the head at that distance without a scope.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

[quote1175076549=MvB]
    No replies on handguns so I take it that the velocities are too low.

Any more thoughts on scopes? Dale, I assume you are also refering to a red-dot? Am I correct in assuming that red-dot scopes are more popular than lasers amongst serious shooters? Why? Also, I assume that the scope would be mounted futher away from the barrel than a laser might be. What would the effect of this be on varying distances at close range.[/quote1175076549]

There are one or two pistos out there with sufficient power and accuracy to despatch small vermin out to 10m or so, BUT, they take a fair bit more skill to use than a rifle.

Yes I do mean a red dot sight - they have a good field of view, no parallax, rapid target acquisition, if it has a smaller sized dot accuracy is quite respectable, more battery efficient than a laser and easier to set up as well.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Farmer,
    Be careful. You just might miss. If the rifle is zeroed at 25m you will need at least 2 mill. dots to hit at 10m and one at 15m. With open sites you will have to aim off. The pellet passes below the 10m mark of the trajectory to come into your line of sight at about 18m (1st zero) stays flat up to around 28m (2nd zero), then falls out again towards 50m and more, until it runs out of breath and falls to the ground wheezing, if not stopped by your pigeons head.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

OK, I feel like talking kuk. So, someone please design a hyper-velocity kettie that shoots a buckshot-like projectile at about 200fps and 6fpe at POI, leaving a 5cm dia "hit" at 10m... please!
    Now that'll work or what?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Farmer: "Cool thing about a laser is, you don't have to aim, you can shoot backwards over your shoulder while the snake is chasing you. " - I see you understand my situation!

Thanks for all the replies. A good spread of ideas, challenging my basic assumptions as well (multi-shot etc.) A number of replies suggested a one shot may be enough & velocity not that important, if I can place it well. A good suggestion to choose the correct ammo as well.

To test this first I decided to see what accuracy I could get out of the rifle that I do have. It's an ElGamo 68, must be from the early eighties, ashamed to admit that it is quite badly neglected. I took it apart last night and will now look for a replacement spring and seal. The scope is useless and rear sight has been removed, so I am stil looking at optics though. Will decide next step based on the accuracy I can get with this.

So that brings me back to sights. I've still got to decide between mil-dot scope, red dot, laser, but since I will be using the existing rifle, the requirements have changed a little:
    - With only one shot accuracy would weigh more than fast target aquisition
    - Still need to perform well in the dark.
    - Price has become more important. I wouldn't like to spend a lot of money on a gun worth about nothing.
    - It will have to be springer rated, which should increase the price?

I have seen a couple of references to red-dot scopes as parallax free. How is this possible? As I see it, since all sights are some distance from the barrel and the pellet doesn't travel in a straight line anyway you'll always have to compensate in some way or another. Maybe I don't understand what parallax free means? Since the distances I shoot will vary drastically, I think it will be an important consideration.

I am trying the kettie thing as well, but shot placement is even more of a challenge. I have sorted out the ammo, though. I found the inconsistencies in shape & weight of pebbles to compound my own inherent inaccuracy, but didn't want to polute everything with marbles or kettie ammo that's for sale. In the end I found the perfect bio-degradable ammo for a kettie... peppermints!