Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S400 Classic Regulator Installation

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Default S400 Classic Regulator Installation

Bought my new regulator from Louis today. It is set at 100bar. If you need to have the regulated pressure set higher, Louis can do that for you. Installed but no chrony strings yet (rainy day). Will post them ASAP.

For those of you that would like to know how to install it, here goes:

*Start by emptying the air tube on your rifle, do not under any circumstances try to remove it when under pressure. I just kept on cocking and firing until it started to dump remaining pressure at about 25/30 bar. If there is another way of doing it, PLEASE SHARE.

*Next remove the action from the stock. Use a 5mm allen key. It is located between the manometer and the trigger.
    [IMG]
    *Next, remove the barrel band using a 2mm allen key. There is 2 grub screws holding it in place. No need to remove the grubbies completely.
    [IMG]

*Next remove the air tube by unscrewing it completely. It might be difficult, try using water pump pliers and cover the tube with a piece of cloth, grip firmly and loosen, can by unscrewed from there by hand.
    [IMG]

*Next loosen the gauge dogleg by using a 3mm allen key.
    [IMG]

*Dogleg and airtube out.
    [IMG]

*Next remove the little grub screw located under the manometer / dogleg piece. Use a 1.5mm allen key. This holds the brass valve assembly in place. The brass part will NOT unscrew if this grubbie is not loosened.

*Next remove (unscrew) the brass valve from the action.
    [IMG]

*Next remove the valve and the spring held in place by the valve housing assembly.
    [IMG]

*What you get in the package: (What the regulator consist of):
    [IMG]

*Next place the white delrin washer / seal into the hole where valve was removed from. NOTE: There is a green mark on the one side of the washer / seal and it should face you when looking into the hole.
    [IMG]

*Replace the valve and then the spring, and then screw the brass part of the regulator back into place. Screw it in completely to seat \ seal against the delrin seal.
    [IMG]

*No need to fasten the grub screw that locked the brass part of the valve in place.
    [IMG]

*Next, screw in the silver aluminium part of the regulator onto the brass part. Do not overtighten.
    [IMG]

*Put the dogleg/manometer assembly back into place and fasten using a 3mm allen key.
    [IMG]

*Screw the airtube back into place. Tight but no need to use water pump pliers again (if used for removal).
    [IMG]

*Replace the action in the stock and fasten using a 5mm allen key.

*Refill the airtube and you are done! (Remember to cock the rifle before refilling otherwise air will just vent through barrel because there is no pressure holding the valve closed).

*What the old valve housing assembly looks like:
    [IMG]

*Completely re-assembled rifle: (Specially for the people that wanted to stone me for putting it in a Hatsan Synthetic stock )
    [IMG]

I really hope that this can help someone, somewhere. Thanks to Louis for explaining the process to me !!
    Last edited by GrimReaper; 01-04-12 at 20:41. Reason: Updated info

REP: SS Airguns

User Info Menu

Thanx for the info Grim, what did the reg cost you? I'm thinking of fitting one to my s510.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Reg cost R1050 from Importer, he had 4, 2 already gone. Also a big thnx to Johan (KGB) for letting me know they were available!

REP: SS Airguns

User Info Menu

Thanx, please let us know what the difference is. Chrony string etc, I'm sure a lot of the guys will be interested.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

awesome post....tks very much.
    ordered one from Louis this morning

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Chrony strings for regulated S400. PLEASE NOTE that the brass part of the reg MUST be screwed in ALL the way right from the start, will post new chrony strings ASAP. Not as stated below!

Firstly I screwed the brass part of the regulator in so that 13mm of it protrudes, shot first string from 190 bar down to 100 bar, 150 shots.

Secondly I screwed the brass part in further so that only 11mm protrudes, thus putting more pressure on the valve spring. Also shot down from 190 bar to 100 bar, 148 shots.

Will turn brass part in more tommorrow and publish results.

So far I am either doing something wrong or this is not working.........

Last edited by GrimReaper; 01-04-12 at 20:46. Reason: Correct info supplied

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '15/'17

User Info Menu

Default Regulator?

Something is not right.

Does not seam if your regulator, regulate.

Protea FT Team '18/'19
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15
    MOT: Swan Air
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Maybe contact the manufacturer. http://www.altaros.cz

I imported one from them but it gave me a speed of 550fps, or round there.
    Played around with it but couldn't get the speed up so I removed it and imported a reg from www.pekator.com
    Woytan the guy who makes them is a member on this forum.
    There reg is more expensive, but in a different class, also no need to drill a hole in the tube. Now this reg is the business and very stable. I haven't cronied it yet as my crony has a hole through it, thanks to my son. I am however shooting nice scores with it and when I miss it is my fault and not the rifle.

REP: Atom Precision Sport

User Info Menu

Hi Grimreaper

Those regulators do work extremely well. Your problem is that the brass part is not sealing on the white delrin washer. With these regulators you have to skrew the brass part all the way so that the thin brass edge seals on the white washer otherwise the reg will definately not work at all because unregulated air is basically bypassing the reg completely. In other words with these regs you cannot tune the valve return spring like with the normal AA brass chamber by srewing it in deeper or shallower. It has has to go in ALL THE WAY until it seals on the delrin washer. If you need to tune the valve return spring it can be done with small washers but just try it without any spacers first. Give me shout if you still have problems.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Thnx Cor, looked at Altaros site and came accross a youtube clip that shows exactly what to do. Also, thnx James. Screwed brass part in completely. Filled to 180 bar, started at 623fps, 638fps at 175 bar, 731fps at 150 bar, 800fps at 125 bar and 771fps at 100 bar. Still a HUGE spread. Is this what a reg is supposed to do? I hope not! Does anyone that has perhaps done this before got chrony strings for comparrison? What EXACTLY is a regulated rifle supposed to do? Have consistent velocities from full down to say 100 bar? Have a small ES? Well if so, mine does not do that! Help, help, help.....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Volg MJ se raad

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

@ Nico, ek het. Steeds nie bevredigende resultate nie!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

A reg should give you a low extreme spread. Those speeds you are getting is worse than a unregulated rifle. I would rather take it to someone who knows how to set it up.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Did you come right with the regulater and is your spread consested now .................

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Yes, YEs and YES!!!! Sorted now. Shooting JUST below 800fps consistantly now! ES of below 10.