Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: aluminum bottle or steel bottle?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default aluminum bottle or steel bottle?

I need 1 diving bottle urgently.

found 2 available locally. but which 1 worth to get?

1989 12L alumium diving bottle for R750 tested yesterday.

1997 10L steel diving bottle for R450 tested 2yrs ago.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Size does count ! The bigger the more fills ...
    I presume that they are both 232bar, if not take the 300bar
    If you look at the 10L, have it tested before you buy !
    Don't know if there is any advantage except for weight between the 2.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

and a dive shop will not fill that stell bottle if it was last tested 2 years ago...the visual test sticker is valid 1 year.

get the 12L alu

difficult to get 300bar fills in CT...most dive shops will not do it cause it screws up their compressors

The best scuba tanks are the 15L alus 232bar...often people buy them for diving and find they are just too big and cumbersome...perfect for airgunning
    They also hold more air than the smaller 300bar jobbies

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I would take the newer one and check it has the right connection for the adaptor to your gun. i bought one and it was totaly the wrong size ask them if you can give it back if it does not work

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

newer is not necessarily better.
    steel rusts and alu bottles generally last longer.
    12L is better tahn 10L

also the 10L steel he is looking at has not been tested but the 12l ALU has...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ya i guess so. go for the aluminium tank

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

either way.......get it visual & hydro tested before handing over the cash. better safe than sorry.

if they are 300 bar you can get it filled at (can't remember the names) the dive shop next to good hope centre or one of those "industrial" places in pardon eiland

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I don't know if you guys have encountered it yet, but in the UK, many of the aluminium cylinders are now required to have an extra test applied to them over and above the normal visual/hydrostatic test regimes.

The new test, called "Visual Plus" was developed as a result of instances of (catastrophic?) failure in alloy cylinders, is easiest described by the following:

"Visual Plus is a non-destructive testing (NDT) device which utilizes eddy currents to detect neck and shoulder cracks, folds or other similar imperfections in aluminum cylinders such as scuba, SCBA (all metal, hoop-wrap or full wrap), beverage, medical, industrial gas cylinders, fire extinguishers, etc.

An electromagnetic wave is introduced into the metal of the vessels near the area which is desirable to inspect for imperfections (the threaded area). The wave causes currents to flow in a circular manner in the metal. They are called eddy currents because the flow is circular. An imperfection can increase the path that the currents have to flow and so make the material appear higher in resistance in that region where the imperfection is present. This generates a spike on the computer generated report which alerts the technician to a problem that requires further investigation.

Hydrostatic testing alone does not reveal cracking in the neck/shoulder area of aluminum cylinders unless they are leaking. Visual Plus identifies 100% of these defective cylinders."

This new test is required every two years and is quite expensive, apparently it does not need to be applied to certain newer alloy cylinders (category C alloy?), nor is it required on steel cylinders.

As a result of the increased testing costs, many UK shooters have gone away from alloy bottles to steel bottles. Despite the UK being a comparatively wet climate we don't seem to suffer undue rust problems provided cylinders are looked after.

For your information my own cylinders are:

Faber 12L 300 Bar, Faber 12L 232 Bar - both home base bottles, Faber 3L 300 Bar - used for carrying to competitions.

Hope the above helps.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

We have the same is SA Dale.
    Had to pay for the test on my bottle.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

it only needs to be applied to alu cylinders made during a certain period...not all of them apply...locally it is carried out as part of the annual viz and does not cost extra

ice's Avatar ice

Nope, my alu bottle have to undergo visual plus every second year - R120.

They also don't want to refill to more than 210 in Town.

My next buy would be a steel one.

Boondock do you have a manometer on you refill adapter?

I'll advise to get the biggest bottle available, otherwise you'll make quite a few trips to the dive shop in a short time. Talon/Condor very heavy on small bottle's.

My Talon gave about 40 full power shots with one fill,

It loved any power setting, as long as it's full power, maybe you'll be lucky, but full power was the only way i could get the e.s down to acceptable levels.

Great hunting rig, but you'll soon find that the gun needs to be tinkered with.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

thanks for advice guys.

i have took alumimum one.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

yeah, the filler come with a meter to display psi, i refilled with 3000psi for first time.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

ice, in your experience with talon. which part of the gun will start have problem?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

none...the Talon is very simple and reliable.
    The top hat may start to work loose...a little loctite under the 2 grub screws will keep it in place once you have decided on a power setting.