Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Point Blank - shoot 12th May

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Point Blank - shoot 12th May

For all who are interested, I will be setting up a shoot in Somerset West under the banner "Point Blank". T.O.A.C. will be collaberating with John from Point Blank Sport Airrifles to get to get him going.

This will be the first of continuing events at this new venue which in my opinion is "epic". The venue consists of a jeep track running for about a kilometer through dense bush with tree,s all over the place.

I,m going out there ahead of time with some labourers and bush wackers and a ladder to clear some of the really thick scrub to create real hunting conditions. I,m even going to try and place some targets high up in tree,s.

There will be four basic classes: LIMITED GUN: which refers to entry level equipment like B-1,s, B-2,s etc. iether open sight or and limited to a scope no greater that a 4x20 and a muzzle velocity not exceeding 780fps. This class is intended for youngsters and any person exceeding three consecutive wins will automatically be elevated to the next class in the interest of fairness.

STANDARD GUN: which refers to any "off the shelf" spring powered unit which does not feature any modification be it gas ram or stock modifications or indeed any performance enhancement mods which arent factory fitted. Telescopic sights may be fitted but are to range from 4x30 to a maximum of 3-12x50 and may include parallax adjustment.

"O.S."(OPEN/ OUT SIZE) which refers to all precharged rifles and gas ram units howsoever modified but limited to 177 cal.

DISABLED PERSONS: Any disabled person may participate in any class as long as in the case of folks in wheelchairs that the wheelchair or any part thereof is not used as a deadrest or a steady platform for their rifle. The rifle must also be held with the elbows clear of the armrests of the chair. If necessary the competitor may enjoy outside help from others as long as that help does not involve the rifle being supported by other persons other than in the case of safety. Hell, if necessary I,ll drive them around the course and they can shoot off my bakkie, I would just like to see everyone accommodated and there are a few disabled people on our contact list.

I,m sure that this list will need some basic revision but I think that the basic concept is workable. In addition everyone may shoot 2 rounds if they so choose and obviously if H.F.T is your thing then shoot H.F.T. and the same for F.T. Only the first round will be scored and the second will serve as fun or practice.

All of you who are interested may contact John during office hours on 021 8520499 and he will be much better equiped to give you directions than me given my extensive lack of knowledge of the northern suburbs.

Lastly, please join us and I,ll do my best to make the course interesting!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

limited to 177 cal?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yes, it seems John views 20cal as an advantage and I would have to agree but if there are a couple of guy,s who have 20 cal rifles, then maybe we can form an additional class as long as there are at least 5 guy,s I would think.

Anyway, give John a call and ask him what he thinks. I have already negotiated a couple of changes with him and once you explain your reasoning he,s pretty accomodating.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Why is gas ram rifles classed with pcp's? This is a bit unfair I think because the rifle recoils just as a springer would.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Arnold, if there was a gas ram class, how many guys would be in it? Dont get me wrong, the classes were defined by John and I changed a couple of things. He percieves the gas ram as a mod and susequently an advantage.

Sure they recoil, but what would be the point of the expense if there were no gains.

To let you in on a secret, John told me himself that you would destroy everyone if he allowed you to shoot in a standard springer class. The only reason why he wanted to merge gas ram with p.c.p. is because of your recent performances at club level. I think he,s scared of you he he he!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i havn't seen a single disabled shooter with wheelchair in all shoots since 2005... obviousely i don't think more than 5 disabled shooter will come at the same time...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Well I will feel at a disadvantage to the guys shooting pcp's if I had to compete against them. If this is the case then I would also show up with a pcp.

So if I understand correctly, I can come and shoot any pcp at any power level as long as it is .177 and with any scope? How will the scoring work?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Are you going to tell some dude in a wheelchair that he cant shoot?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Arnold, I didn,t draw up these rules. John did and I must say they need a bit of fine tuning. I condensed the rules a bit, but the rifle may not exceed 34ft.lbs when using an 8 grain pellet.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Arnold, what,s your fax number and I,ll send you the rules that John gave me. You and Boondock have been shooting much longer than me so you guys can argue with experience on your side.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

what i meant was to create a disable class don't make sense... it's not about skill... it's about too less poeple will be in that class... simply waste of time...

disable shooter should shoot in any classs but with different scoring system.

btw... i think the idea to classify the class is by qualify the shooters and equipments.

for example..

beginner class : if u can group 1inch @15m or less

middle class : if u can group 1inch @ 40m

advanced class : if u can group 1inch @60m

in that case... u should be able to againist the people fairly at the same level... since it's not UK HFT... so it's shouldn't matter what tool u use in the shoot..

just my 2 cent worth...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Boondock I hear you and if the decision was mine then a meeting would have been called and people like you would have been invited to give sensible input on the matter. I,m taking this on because the more clubs and events we create the bigger the sport gets and the broader the smile on my face.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

spoke to john today... he wants to incl the .20 in the game and also worry about target damage. after detailed discussion... there will be a new class - hunting class!

the hunter class is mainly for .20s.. range from 30m-80m... totally free style... no limit of scope and paralix and position.... it's the closest simulation of real hunting ... u can use rangefinders too... hehe...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Cool Boondock, everyone should be able to use whatever equipment they want.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Excellent....the hunter class is an awesome idea.

It is basically HP FT which is what I have been suggesting all along!!
    FT from 30 to 80m plus...yeah!!