Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Customising s400?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Customising s400?

Hi guys getting s400 next week hopefully! What tips do you have for me regarding power adjustment and so on.I was considering getting the hornet but decided s400 was the way to go. selling s200s if any ones interested!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It should be good out of the box Moose. Maybe adjust the trigger to your liking. Shoots like a dream.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

make sure it's a new one.............ie trigger with safety. it's got a genuine 2 stage trigger with 3 sears.

follow below instructions to set up the trigger.......

screw out the 2nd stage adj screw so the trigger pulls like a single stage. adjust the weight and length to ur liking. screw in the 2nd stage adj 1/4 turn a time.....or maybe half....... until the point where the 2nd stage is felt. this will give a "match trigger".......for hunting maybe further 1/2 turn in.....

as for power............you won't get much above 12ftlbs by adj the transfer port...........perhaps look into increase the preload of the main spring, stronger spring, heavier striker, increase the stroke....etc.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

power on the S400 is adjusted on an internal pot, not on the striker.
    The air cylinder needs to be removed for the adjustment

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

aarh...........i see

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hey does any one know something about that extended cylender for s400 classic? is it just the s400E's cylinder on the s400 classic?
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Tue Mar 15 2005, 08:06PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Urabus,

The old trigger on the S400 was a genuine two stage unit, the 3 sear version merely increases the sensitivity of the unit.

Guido,

The firing pot is part of the story, most of the power adjustment on the non FAC models is carried out using the transfer port adjuster. The pot can be adjusted to optimise air usage.

Moose,

The extended cylinder is indeed from the Xtra-FAC model. This conversion also requires the barrel clamp form the Xtra model and a custom muzzle weight or brake to bring the barrel unit level to the front of the longer cylinder.

Jamie

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hey does any one know any good sites for info on the s400?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

on the non FAC models the venturi transfer port adjuster does very little...it is just for fine tuning velocity.
    To adjust the power up to 17ft\lbs you need to remove the cylinder and act on the pot.
    Casper knows the full details.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hmm....i guess i've learnt a few things today.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Jamie,

I extensively modified a few S400's. By adjusting the pot the volume of air available per shot is set. By increasing the volume higher velocities can be acheived. The transfer port adjuster or venturi is used to fine tune the delivery of air.
    The three sheer trigger is not merely increasing the sensitivity it is a totally different trigger to shoot with than the standard two sheer.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Casper,

Jamie is no novice when it comes to the 400 series, he does know about the rifle, having owned several of them over the last five years. I have also owned and modified various S400's and their predecessor model the 300 series during the last seven years.

In respect of the power adjustment, the pot plays a role, but is is possible to set the rifle up to give a large range of power adjustment from the port screw.

One rifle that I experimented on would go from 780fps to a consistent 980fps by adjusting the transfer port. I recall Jamie getting velocities in excess of 1000fps on one rifle he modified, although the number of shots dropped to about 25 per fill.

In terms of the trigger modification, the improvement in trigger sensitivity by the addition of the third lever in the system does give it a different feel, but at the end of the day it is still the same basic mechanism.

Regards

Dale
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Mar 11 2005, 02:22PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

What have you guys found to be the be the most accurate pellets to use with your s400? Air arms and accupel i have heard to work the best

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

give exterminators a try as well..........it's my s410K's preferred diet. one thing though......don't over lube them.
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Mar 11 2005, 04:28PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

UltraOptecs and Accupells performed well
    AA Performed excellent and still is my fav
    I've also tried Daystate, Premiers and H&N, but sadely I got very bad performance from them.

On the Premiers, the ones that seated properly in the barrel grouped better than I've EVER seen with any other pellet, problem is that only about 1 out of 6 seat properly, the rest fall about 5-6 cm low. I'm gonna make myself a pellet sizer, when I've done that I will only shoot the Premiers !
    Oh yes, and they are extremely dirty, takes lots of time to get them clean !