Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Zero Scopes with Parallax

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default How to Zero Scopes with Parallax

I am confused ! I got my 30mm mounts today , put every thing onto the S400 . All loose , set focus , set eye relief , set horizontals , set about nipping every thing slowly slowly .

Shot at 20 m , 3 inches low , 3 inches left , set up & right , bang on . Shot about 40 pellets onto targets all 100 % . Very happy !

Moved trap to 12m , focussed paralax , shot , ok 10mm low , thats ok , but why 10mm left ? ? &|

Re-zero'd scope at 12m , shooting dead straight no problem , move target to 20 m , now shoots 10mm to the right !

What the hell have I done wrong ? I have tried tilting the scope left & right of the horizontal , does'nt make much difference ! I have shot this at 140 bar , 160 bar & 190 bar , always the same !

Please help ! :messed:

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

maybe was the cross-wind?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

No wind , boet , except outa me !

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

mmm sounds like everything is not correctly aligned in the vertical plane...try shooting at 30 or 40m too and see if the trend continues.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

pellets suppose to travel in a "straight line" right? it seems in ur case it doing a spiral........did u try with other pellets? any factors that can cause the pellet to spiral? any experts out there?

i also thought about those new mounts u got.........i've got the same........i see they are 3/8", and AA dove tails are suppose to be 11mm (i think)........nan, they arn't going to make any difference.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I get that problem, but to the right - if I keep both my eyes open when I shoot.

My left eye is the dominant of the two so I think it's a combination of parallax and brain error.

Would prefer to keep both eyes open of course - but I'll need an eye organ donor. (Please hand all offers in via Lewis @ Leeukop).

Seriously though. Have you tried turning the mounts around? Or perhaps swap the front and back mount - see if the error mirrors to the other side?

hth

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

hey gerry, forgot to add............make sure the mounts are seated properly in the rail......give them a wiggle............well, this is what andre told me.......

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

btw, u did sort out the collar/8 ring support hey?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have set the collar figure 8 ok . Well it seems ok !

I thought of putting front ring at the back & back ring on th front ,

If that does'nt sort it , I'll try turn the clamps around , clamp on left side .

I get the feeling that the scope is not following the rifle barrel , in other words , its at a slight angle , one or two degrees off , maybe the monts are not perfectly symetrical ? ? ?

I'll just have to keep fiddling ! !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Might be worth a go to remove the silencer aswell - then you can rule out the pellet clipping a baffel or end cap, deforming and doing wierd acrobatics on it's way to the target.

ice's Avatar ice

Had the same problem with my B-square mounts on my Talon. I had to first count clicks on scope and put it exactly halfway, then adjust mount to get the scope aligned to barrel. Very fustrating, and takes a long long time to correct.

I would suggest swopping the mounts as it normally takes me about 5 shots to zero a newly fitted scope.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Gerry,

Had this problem as well once or twice.

What make of mounts are you using?

There are certain brands of mount that I have experienced problems with in the past.

On the Air Arms rails the most reliable mounts I have found are the BKL brand from the US and also Sako rimfire mounts.

These differ from the majority of mounts in that they dont have a separate clamp, instead the lower portion of the mount is machined from solid and designed to grip the dovetail evenly from both sides as they are tightened, this has the effect of centering the mount over the rail.

If you need a set of these let me know before I fly down in April and I will see if I can get a set for you.

Regards

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Dale , I sorted the problem out ( I think ) . After much thought , I decided that I'd try a whole lotta combinations , you know , swop mounts back to front , turn them 180 degrees , swop the top caps etc etc .I knew that the scope was'nt central to the barrel , so I turned the front mount around . First change I did seems to have been the right one !
    Now rear clamps from right , front clamps from left . Does'nt matter too much , although I personally like every thing to look right .
    Shot today in the garden , zero at 10m , out to 20m the vertical is still dead on . I moved the target to 32m , but it was out of the shadow of the house , & I think my pellet had a bit of wind influence on it cause it seemed to be about 6 to 10 mm off , in the direction of the wind .

But , I think I should get some of your mounts , as long as you can get them for 30mm tube .
    These I have are made by Thor engineering in the Pta area . They look really nice , good blue finish , nice tight allen cap screws . They have a side clamp onto the dove tail .

If they are made on a CNC lathe they should be very good , hopefully the tool setter has put in the compensation factor for tool wear . If not , that could account for this slight deviation .
    I have spent the best part of ten grand on the rifle , scope , & pump . It seems a shame to now have to compromise & compensate for a scope mount .

Let me know the damage financially , but please try & get me a set .

Thanks . Gerry .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Glad to hear you've found out what the problem is Gerry. If all the stuff is new, why not take them back and get a replacement? I mean machined 'out of square' mounts is poor quality control.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Gerry,

I will e-mail you a picture of the BKL mounts on monday when I am back at work (just got back from an awesome surfing session and am logged in from Jamies pc).

My description does not really do them justice.

I will try and get hold of a set of them for you and bring them down in April.

Dale