Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet Wash and Lube Tutorial

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Pellet Wash and Lube Tutorial

The following is a tutorial for a method I use to wash and lube my pellets.

I wash and lube because I am able to control the amount of lube the pellets are coated with, and I have noticed a gain in the accuracy and consistency of my rifle when shooting pellets I have washed and lubed through it.

Please note that you may not neccessarily see an improvement in the accuracy and/or consistency of your rifle. This tutorial offers not guarentees, but is intended to provide a guide as to how to wash and lube your pellets should you choose to do so.

You will need the following:

- A Tin of Pellets
    - Napier Power Pellet Lube (preferably the dropper bottle)
    - Sunlight Liquid (or any good quality dish washing liquid)
    - 2 Litre Ice Cream Container (or plastic container with rounded corners that will not be used in future to hold food or liquids for human consumption)
    - Resealable Plastic Sandwich Bag (Glad or Ziploc)
    - Paper Towel (Carlton kitchen towel works nicely)

Procedure: (Based on a 500 unit tin of 4.5mm pellets)

Step 1: Empty the tin of pellets into the plastic container.

Step 2: Apply about half a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid to the pellets (3/4 of a teaspoon for 5mm and 5.5mm pellts)

Step 3: Open the hot water tap and allow to run until hot. Place the plastic container under the tap and fill with hot water untill 3/4 full.

Step 4: Pivot the container in a swirling motion to move the pellets around in the hot soapy water. This will help losen any lead shavings and wash the existing lube off the pellets.

Step 5: Scoop up the pellets with your hands and allow them to fall back into the hot water. This will help losen any lead shavings and wash the existing lube off the pellets.

Step 6: Rinse the pellets with cold clean water to wash away the soapy residue of the dish washing liquid.

Step 7: Drain off the excess clean cold water. Take care to not accidentally pour any of the pellets out of the container.

Step 8: Pour the pellets out of the plastic container onto two pieces of paper towel and spread them out for the bulk of the reamianing moisture to be absorbed.

Step 9: Transfer the pellets from the first set of paper towel to another two pieces of paper towel and spread out evenly.

Step 10: Allow the pellets to air dry. This can be speeded up by using a hair dryer, but do not microwave or bake the pellets to dry them.

Step 11: Take the resealable plastic packet and place two drops of the pellet lube inside it. For 5mm pellets use 3-4 drops and for 5.5mm pellets use 5-6 drops. DO NOT overlube the pellets, a little goes a long way.

Step 12: Rub the plastic packet in your hand to spread the pellet lube evenly around inside.

Step 13: Pour the pellets into the plastic packet with the pellet lube. Squeeze out any excess air and seal the plastic packet.

Step 14: Grip two ends of the plastic packet and lift them so that the pellets pool on the opposite end, then grip the two corners of the end where the pellets have pooled, and lift so that they pool at the opposite end. Do this several times to allow the pellets to become coated in the pellet lube.

Step 15: Use a dry piece of the paper towel to wipe out the inside of the pellet container. This will remove any of the remaining manufacturer pellet lube and potential lead particles.

Step 16: Pour the pellets out of the plastic packet and into their original container, then reseal and mark them as washed and lubed.

Photos:

Step 1: Pour Pellets in to container.

Step 2: Add dishwashing liquid.

Step 3: Add hot water.

Step 4: Swirl pellets.

Step 5: Rotate pellets.

Step 6: Rinse

Step 7: Drain excess water.

Step 8: Pour pellets onto paper towel.

Step 9: Transfer pellets to dry paper towel.

Step 10: Allow pellets to dry.

Step 11: Add pellet lube to plastic packet.

Step 12: Spead pellet lube evenly.

Step 13: Pour pellets into lube treated plastic packet.

Step 14: Rotate pellets in lube treated plastic packet.

Step 15: Clean pellet container.

Step 16: Pour pellets into pellet container, reseal and mark as washed and lubbed.

Sharp Shooter
    ARF Member Of The Year 2011

User Info Menu

Thanks for this, it's been described but this is an excellently illustrated guide!

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

Pour the pellets from the plastic container into a flour sieve. Saves a lot of heart ache and random pellet chasing. A gentle shake helps the water fall out of the cone section of the pellets.

REP: T3Slugs

User Info Menu

I was thinking about doing this, but am wondering by how much does it increase the accuracy? also, If I dont have pellet lube, can U use something like Q20 General purpose spray?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Foennie View Post
    I was thinking about doing this, but am wondering by how much does it increase the accuracy? also, If I dont have pellet lube, can U use something like Q20 General purpose spray?
    Do not use Q20, rather use a light machine oil like that used on sewing machines.

In terms of accuracy, I did notice a small improvement, but you will not see a major jump in accuracy.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

It would be interesting to see what weight of swarf comes off a tin of pellets.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Does this actually increase accuracy.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HenkSnyman View Post
    Does this actually increase accuracy.
    Short answer - Maybe

Long Answer - Maybe

Personally, I did see an improvement in my groups with washed and lubed pellets over straight out of the tin. It was however a small improvement.

Part of the reason I wash and lube my pellets is because it eliminates another variable i.e. how the pellets come lubed from the factory and also gets rid of all the little lead particles that build up in the tin.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I wonder how much difference the light tumbling makes, because it removes die burs and so...

REP: African Target Sport

User Info Menu

No accuracy increase in the top brand pellets like AA / JSB etc.....!!! Hours of testing on the most sophisticated equipment for BR shooting. Head size is probably the most important factor.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

OK... thanks!

REP: Oom A's Airguns

User Info Menu

85%+ of taking a shot happens in the mind. If washing and lubing helps you feel more confident about your equipment then do it. If not then don't bother, rather spend the time cleaning your scope's lenses.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Or I'm guessing shooting practice...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Ballistol is often used... make sure there is very little on the pellets... hy maak PAH!

Protea FT Team '17
    SAFTAA FT Colours '16
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Bump... just for some of the newbies that haven't seen this before.