Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope for Gamo CFX

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Scope for Gamo CFX

I found this this site today and think that I might get some advise from you guys. I am looking at scopes and mounts for my Gamo CFX Royal. Any suggestions? Please keep in mind I am still a student and my budget is tight....very tight! I was looking at the BSA AR27X32 and the AR312X44. These I can get for R545 and R777 respectively.Will I need to use a one piece mount to eliminate scope creep? The gun is very accurate and if I concentrate I can do touching hole groups at about 20m with open sights. Any comments would be appreciated.

P.S. what pellets do you use for Hunting and is heavier better?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Where in the Cape Town do you get the best prices on scopes? I live in Stellenbosch and Malmesbury.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I would stay away from the BSAs for a springer...I don't think they will hold up to the recoil.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Welcome to the site, Arnold. I have a Nikko Stirling 4x32 AO on a Gamo CFX. Works quite well, optics not the best in the world but I do not shoot further than 30m. It certainly has handled the recoil up to now. The scope came standard with a one-piece mount. On the pellet weight, there is a thread elsewhere on this site on that, but in short, stay away from heavy pellets in a spring gun. What pellets to use will depend on what your gun likes. What are you using now, it seems as if it works well in terms of accuracy?

Firearm News's Avatar Firearm News

Sorry Guido, I don't agree. The BSA air rifle scopes are fine for the Gamo CFX. I have sold a number of these combos and they are holding up just fine. Arnold contact me off-line on 021 979 0627 and we can have a chat.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

sorry Andre...just thought that on a fairly strong recoiling spring gun the BSAs would not last...my bad...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Rather buy a Nikko Stirling !
    I also have a BSA, optics quality is not very good.
    Most important is that the scope MUST be spring gun rated.
    If possible stick to 1 piece mounts with the built in "arrestor" pin.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hiya Arnold, welcome again.

I have a Nikko Stirling Gold Crown on my Gamo - served me well for close on 18 000 shots so far.
    Spec is 4-7x44AO. Cost me R600.00 approx.

I think Gerry, on the other hand, hasn't had much luck with these scopes though.

hth

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks Guys I can see that this forum is going to be a lot of help to me.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Is there any other scopes to consider? Hawke, Tasco? Just remember The CFX is a fixed barrel with loading port so the scope cannot be too lenghty. What this lenght is I don't know so if someone does please let me know. I am sitting in Stellenbosch University and my gun is in Malmesbury where I shoot on weekends. (If you wondered why I just dont take the measurement)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hawke / "new Tascos" / BSA are in my humble opinion the same thing, Chinese.
    Nikko Stirling Gold Crown = Chinese
    In general most Nikko Stirling Scopes are the "same" as Lynx which is made in Japan.
    If budget allows it stay away from Chinese and look at Japanese made scopes, their optics are much better and the build quality is also much better.

Look at the new Nikko Stirling Nighteaters, everybody that has one keeps on screaming quality, the other good thing about them, they are all Side Focus scopes.
    If you only have R 800 then stop drinking (u r @ university ...?) for 3 months and buy the NS Nighteater. It will be worth the SACRAFICE !

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I think NS Nighteater = AGS = Leapers....made in the same factory apparently.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I am still at university doing my masters in Electrical Engineering. Drinking is my other past time

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Arnold ,

My Gamo broke 2 Nicko Stirling scopes ! I was using 1 piece mounts with the Gamo arrestor in place . I have put the standard open sights back on , the gun is now a general purpose chase monkeys , scare the cat away from the bird feeding table sort of thing .

So ! My opinion of scopes ? ? Well I dont know , maybe I was just unlucky !

I hope you get a good one , incidentally , both Nicko were replaced free & without hassle . I sold no 3 before I even took it out of the plastic bag & box . Money towards the AA S 400 .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

My Gammo 1000 Shadow also broke the Nicko Stirling scope fitted to it at the moment.