Thread: Triggers

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Triggers

Hi all.

What is the definition of trigger creep and how do you get rid of it (AA S400). Not too much on the internet regarding this. I just now that the trigger is supposed to break like glass. My rifle's trigger feels very light or maybe i'm still used to the 4 tonne pull weight on my other rifle. ?! !dodge

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Since it seems you are not going to get a reply today I will try to explain what I understand about triggers and that is not much.
    You can adjust the trigger to have "Play" before it starts with the second stage.
    When you get to this point you can adjust it to go off at the touch of a feather(Hair trigger as I understand it) The trigger should release the shot cleanly and crisply as if a piece of glass braking, it should not be spongy.
    Personally mine and my daughter's rifles has VERY little on the first stage because we hunt a lot also. Second stage is as crisp as I can get it, which again might not mean that the guys that know about match triggers will approve of it, but I'm happy and my daughter is happy. Thats all that matters. he he Just show you how little can make some people happy !!

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Trigger creep is excess movement of the sear prior to the "break" this is not the same as first stage travel.

On a true 2 stage trigger the first stage actually reduces the sear engagement to a minimal amount the allowing a crisp release.

If the trigger is not correctly adjusted you will feel the second stage but there will then be detectable travel from the second stage point to the trigger break. This is creep.

Got to go now will explain how to eliminate this tomorrow morning.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hey JCG

I wasn't happy with my S400 trigger either at first, coming from the Weihrauch's Rekord trigger. I was playing around with it for a long time, however it kept changing over the course of say two months - it's settled now and set how I like it. Perhaps you should strip it and clean it out - perhaps take any visible burrs off it while you're at it.
    I didn't - but like I said it took a while to become crisp.

I'll mail you a trigger guide that I have.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Right, back to the S400 trigger unit. You will find there are three adjustment screws visible. Two in the trigger blade and one larger screw at the front of the trigger guard.

The screw in the trigger guard controls the weight of the trigger pull. The forward of the two screws in the trigger blade is the first stage screw, the rear screw controls second stage.

If you are experiencing some creep on the second stage after taking up the first stage, you will need to adjust the rear screw in the trigger blade outwards until the rifle will fire without a second stage. Slowly adjust the screw inwards until you start to feel a second stage and continue until you are satisfied with the pull characteristics.

The sears are laser cut so there should be no burrs on them, but if you are confident on working on your trigger they do benefit from a light polish (I use 2000 grit paper). DO NOT POLISH THE ENGAGEMENT SURFACES - any alteration to the shape of these will upset trigger performance, just polish the sides of the sears. When reassembling use a light smear of lubricant and adjust to your preference.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Pity you couldn't just bolt the Rekord trigger onto a S4X0. All problems would be solved.

Would kill for a northern hemisphere laser, would up my production immensly seeing as ours leaves burrs. x)

Just taking the mickey Dale.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi JCG.
    On the side of the trigger there is a black plate held with 2 screws. If you remove this slowly nothing will fall out, then you can see exactly what happens when you adjust the trigger. Makes it easier to understand.
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Thu Mar 17 2005, 06:05AM ]</span>

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Avion

As far as I'm concerned a hacksaw leaves burrs

Seriously though I know that the sears are laser cut, I think they then undergo grinding to smooth them up further - so I have not really had any serious burring on them.

I have however had one of the early sears from a different rifle that was laser cut and half the bloody thing had been melted away - touch too much power I think.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

This blokes just updated his trigger guide for the S4x0's.

http://www.a2kda.com/trigger

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

[quote=avion]Hey JCG

I'll mail you a trigger guide that I have.

AVion, could you send me a copy too (of the trigger guide, that is?) thanks.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Zulu it was the original (before it got updated) of that link I posted yesterday. Just go the that link -
    http://www.a2kda.com/trigger

Then go File>Save page as...

That should give you a copy on your hard drive.

Any problems lemme know and I'll download it and post it to you.

hth

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Avion, in fact I didn't realise that I had the thing already. When I tried to save the file I got the message that the file already exists but thanks again.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Don't know if this will help - but it certainly helped me understand how the trigger works - in animated form - great for dummies like me!!

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/tx200trigger.swf