Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HFT activity in Gauteng

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default HFT activity in Gauteng

I would like to know how active HFT is in the Gauteng region and which clubs currently offer this discipline?

Also, if anyone can provide me with a copy of the current rules and regulations pertaining to HFT, it will be much appreciated.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Rudi sorry mate but there is no HFT in GP.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well then Rudi, move to Capetown or make a pest of yourself.

Come on all you fine Gautengers, why dont you give H.F.T. a try. You dont have to set up extra courses or anything, all you have to do as have I is to offer the option at shoots for youngsters and new shooters.

Their scores can still be represented as a percentage, for example H.F.T. shooters have to score 60 points for 30 targets and F.T. shooters need 30 so you can even have a mixture of disciplines in your top five it doesent matter.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Andrew we have a lot of good shooters in FT all after the top spot.Ft is well followed and the shoots in general are well attended.HFT we have tried believe me when I say it was a total flop.I welcome any input you can give.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Oh dear, did you by any chance approach guy,s who had low end kit and hadn,t yet gotten into F.T. or do the bulk of your shooters have the bux for F.T. equipment?

One more thing, I reckon it would be easier on the average fathers pocket if his kid started on H.F.T. that way dad doesent have to go and spend 10 grand before johnny decides wether he likes shooting or not.

Lastly, in my opinion shooting with rough cheap rifles with rubbish triggers actually helps with development, and when the shooter progresses to p.c.p he would already have learned how to get a 1000 fps mule steady enough to hit something. F.T. isn,t going to give kids or their parents this benefit unless everyone in Gauteng has plenty disposable income and it doesnt matter iether way but in Capetown there are still lots of kids shooting with B2,s and QB,s and I,m not ready to throw them to the wolves yet he he!

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

there are no guys with low-end kit in Gauteng..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ah haaaaaaaaaaaa! now we have got to the bottom of this.
    I suppose it,s pointless pushing the idea then, but what get,s me is that most F.T. shooterts are used to sitting on their buts and dialing in for every shot, I wonder how they would fair without the luxury of parallaxing (range finding) or mildots!

And since Britain which is essentially the birthplace of the sport has such a massive H.F.T. following in the clear absence of poverty or support issues or import duties what makes Gauteng different?

I think the boys realise that all their big scopes would be rubish for H.F.T. and I going out on a limb here but I,m pretty sure that the top F.T. guy,s will see there scores take a hit if they were to rely on knowing where their gun shoots as opposed to dialing and they should really try some shot placement when shooting at a blur with a 20mm reducer in it!

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '17/'19

User Info Menu

Andrew, nothing personal, but please don't invite Rudi to Cape Town as well. My eldest son Gustav, together with his wife and my two grand children already live there - I don't need all my family this far from home!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Bad news for you Andrew, most of us shot HFT when our club(s) tried it. It was fun. We managed quite well with our expensive 50x scopes taped at 12x and the parallax set at 30 or 35 and taped down, what with being able to used natural dead rests etc. etc.. The problem is that we were just about the only people shooting. Why everybody is hammering the children drum I also don't know. For some or other reason we all look at the UK for guidance. When I was in the UK the other day I didn't see hundreds of kids shooting either FT or HFT. All were (90%) mature toppies, my age. The week-end just passed we had another session of training some youngsters. They rock up with 10m open sights, grand dads Farlke 80,Diana or Gicado(?). Dads says;"If Jonny can prove to me he can shoot with this I'll invest in a better rifle" I mean please!!!! Do you realty want me to waist my pellets and time? Previously we had our shoots at North- West club hijacked by the 10m school kids, We had an open day with 10.9 training camp some time ago. Did we get one that started shooting either FT or HFT. Not that I know about. I say we must make time and place for them, but not when we shoot a competition, friendly or not, because the course, equipment and timing is all wrong for that.

Just my thoughts

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

[quote1182248208=guido]
    [/quote1182248208]

Were does that place my ratty Gamo RSV Guido ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

[quote1182255785=DSF]
    [quote1182248208=guido]
    [/quote1182248208]

Were does that place my ratty Gamo RSV Guido ?

[/quote1182255785]

And my Cometa model something???

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

but those are not the only rigs you own...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

No they're not, but they are a bit dusty and under utilised..

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

[quote1182269182=Andrew]

they should really try some shot placement when shooting at a blur with a 20mm reducer in it!

[/quote1182269182]
    Now you tell me.What on earth would a person put a scope on a gun for if they have to live with that sort of image.That is why I for 1 do not like HFT.

When we have had HFT shoots the few guys that did pitch got pretty ok scores.Although not quite the same as with the FT rig.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Gerrief, I know kids arent the future of the sport and I,ve said it myself and I agree but that doesent mean that there are no kids shooting and the examples I have given are based on personal experience not ideas that are rolling around in my head.

It,s interesting all the same that H.F.T. is doing well in Capetown it,s like some wierd phenomenon but it also has to be noted that the vast majority of the H.F.T. shooters have "cost effective" equipment and that lends to the fact that F.T. is equipment based and H.F.T. is skill based with the added forgiving scoring system so at least you can put a score on the board if you are new but you really have to know your stuff to clear the course.

Oh and I,m not implying that F.T. doesent require skill, ek wil nie weer uit geskel word nie !lol