Thread: Plano Gun Guard All Weather (AW) 42 inch case Review

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '19

User Info Menu

Default Plano Gun Guard All Weather (AW) 42 inch case Review

Ok, so when I started considering taking up this sport (some 2 months ago), I wanted to make sure that my newly acquire hardware would have a nice case to reside in. So started looking around for water–tight cases and was quite alarmed at how much these cases cost in South Africa. The premium brand costing about R5k, which was a bit too expensive for me. So I started looking around, with the following criteria in mind:

1. Must be an “All-weather” case
    2. Should be shorter that the 56 inch cases available, to ensure easier packing in the case (Not on the back seat of the car)
    3. Shouldn’t cost a small fortune

I’ve been using Plano Boxes etc. for close on 10 years and have always been impressed with their quality, so took a look at their site and found a case which would serve my needs. The only problem now, was to find out if the local agents had any in stock or could bring them in. Unfortunately the sole agents only bring a few of these items in over the year and if I really wanted one, they could order one with their next shipment in 3 months time. The one good thing that came out of the conversation with the local agents was the fact that they indicated that the retail price would be under R2k for this case, which is a really great price for an all-weather case!

Unfortunately I could not wait that long, so did the on-line surfing thing and I must mention that I e-mailed about 9 suppliers in the USA and they all were not prepared to ship to SA, stating issues with a Federal Law about shipping “Fire Arms related” goods abroad (It’s just a case guys!!). But persistence prevailed and I found a supplier that would ship one. So paid and had it shipped to SA, which took about a month via US snail mail.

So after about a months usage, I have decide to post a quick review:

Details:

The gun guards have the following spec:

- Weatherproof - weather resistant Dri-Loc O-ring seal
    - Over-moulded handle
    - Spring-assisted dual stage latches (x5)
    - High-density pluck foam interior
    - Pressure release valve
    - Rugged thick-wall construction
    - Lockable (With supplied keys)

There are 3 models in AW (All Weather) range:

- 36 inch
    - 42 inch
    - 52 inch

The model on review is the 42 inch, with the following dimensions:

- Exterior measures: 46 inches long x 16 inches wide x 5.5 inches deep
    - Interior measures: 43 inches long x 13 inches wide x 5 inches deep
    - Weight: 6.9Kg (Didn’t weigh it – so can’t confirm 100%)

Pros:

- PRICE!! At R2300 (Landed, with shipping and duties), this case is very reasonably priced
    - Good quality product
    - Weatherproof - weather resistant Dri-Loc O-ring seal
    - Lockable latches (x2) & 2 options to add additional padlocks
    - Pluck-n-Pull foam as standard

Cons:

- The handle is sturdy but a bit hard on the hands if you carry it for a long time
    - The 42 inch model may be too short for air rifles which have butt hooks (So make sure you measure your rifle, before purchasing)

Overall Rating:

7/10 – There are a few things which could be improved on i.e. the case could be a tad bit wider and I would like a handle on the top (at either end of the case). Otherwise a great product.

Conclusion:

Would I buy another one of these case? Most definitely! Need a 52 inch one for the new TM! ;->

So, perhaps if there is some interest in this or the longer cases, then perhaps the Local Sole Agent would be prepared to place more on order? Alternatively, if you can’t wait, then PM me and I’ll send you the details of the guys I bought mine from.

Pics:

Last edited by Young Gun; 16-07-12 at 22:08.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Care to share the supplier?

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '19

User Info Menu

Hobbes, MZE is taking orders......give him a call.

https://www.airrifle.co.za/showthread.php?t=28611

Otherwise I can PM the details to you.

SAFTAA FT Colours '11/'14/'17

User Info Menu

Is it "flight-proof"? We all know how they handle these cases on airlines - I have seen a few Storm cases that took some serious knocks but survived.

Protea FT Team '11
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Sorry guys, don't want to butt in here, but as I have owned both this Plano and the Storm and Pelican cases, herewith my thoughts on "airline proof"....

The Plano can and will break if MANHANDLED. Mine's one latch and the handle broke off. Also, I have the exact same Plano case but in a bow version - awesome case but have returned the bow case twice now - each time getting a new one as the handle keeps on breaking off. It's a brittle plastic.

Pay a bit more (or buy a Storm on www.takealot.com) and be done forever.

My Storm cases have been on planes quite a bit, and they are literally unbreakable.

I ordered 2 Storm cases for Gerhard Strydom in August last year of www.takealot.com and they cost around R2800 each, delivered by courier to his door in 4 weeks.

Just shop around on the US site of takealot.

Also Vince, you will have MANY comebacks on these Plano cases. Our biggest gunshop here in Calgary stopped stocking this specific Plano rifle and bow cases because of this issue of constant returns.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Globalstar66 View Post

I ordered 2 Storm cases for Gerhard Strydom in August last year of www.takealot.com and they cost around R2800 each, delivered by courier to his door in 4 weeks.

The are quiet a bit more now R3827 -
    http://www.takealot.com/imports/more...ack,b000aoma1s

Or may be you ordered this one - http://www.takealot.com/imports/more...ack,b00286m5os

R3090
    Last edited by swordfish; 18-07-12 at 23:27.

Protea FT Team '11
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Nope, it was the Storm iM3200.

This was the one, but it shows sold out at the moment.
    http://www.takealot.com/imports/more...200,b001lukacq

It got shipped from Adorama in New York (through Amazon) and delivered by Takealot.com

But they still have some iM3200 for R3450 incl VAT and free delibvery to anywhere in SA, to your door.

You will NEVER find a new Storm iM3200 for under R3500 in SA.

Here it is:
    http://www.takealot.com/imports/more...ith,b004og5ry0

Cheers

Robbie

Prof. Jan Itor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Globalstar66 View Post

You will NEVER find a new Storm iM3200 for under R3500 in SA.

Here it is:
    http://www.takealot.com/imports/more...ith,b004og5ry0

Cheers

Robbie
    Case in point: http://www.ormsdirect.co.za/pelican-...ith-solid-foam

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hey Young Gun

Thanks for the effort in this review. Saw one one weekend and they look pretty good , thanks for sharing.

The discussion about flight proof is moot to me as protection required is for back of bakkie etc etc !

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I suppose we can just as well start a rifle case review.
    I have done quite intense research on rifle cases after I finally got my air rifle. Then bought some and returned all of them for various reasons. In my opinion most cases available in SA are good enough for packing tins of food in them and even then they are still crap. I ruled out the option of the rifle bag and cant see the reason anyone would want to buy one to pack an expensive rifle away not to mention travelling. The risk is just to high for damage.

My finding were that Pelican makes the best plastic/synthetic cases available on the market and I am still in the market for two Pelican 1750 cases. These cases comes in three different colours nl. Black, Olive green and Dessert tan. The prices vary slightly in the USA for these cases from US$ 180.00 to about US$ 230.00 So lets take $ 230 x 9 exchange = R 2070 then add shipping and duties and profit = ??? (R4000.00) = total R 6000.00

After several mails to Pelican I was just referred to the regional distributor for Africa in Spain and they pointed me to the SA agent who sell 99% lunchpack/kosblik size cases for photographic equipment. They pointed me to another down the line dealer who will sell at close to R 6000.00

Pelican bought out Storm cases now as well as Hardig (Australian) and supply to various armies around the world. Surplus cases are available but not worth the cost.
    So the 8foot container idea came to my mind. You can pack 85 model 1750 cases in an 8 footer = about R 212500.00 @ R2500 a case minus duties and shipping. Take all the gun shops in SA to take one and you will end up with none.

Then there are the Vangaurd cases. Vangaurd has a very good full aluminium case on the market. This is most definitely the best currently available at R3800.00, double rifle case. It has strong metal handles and a bullet proof locking system. No handling hands or airport crook will open that case without a LOT of effort.

My conclusion is that I would still prefer a Pelican 1750 case. They are very strong, lightweight to spec water proof and dust proof and lifetime guarantee. However, I will probably end up buying what's available which is the Vanguard to save myself from a heart attack at effort to obtain a Pelican case for a start and at paying the current price in SA.

I'm sure somebody will take orders here in SA soon and I am sure many of those cases will be off the shelf, taken by air rifle owners quickly. The rest will be up for sale to the rest of our massive hunting community at much less than R 6000.00

Lets see who is up to the opportunity.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '17/'19

User Info Menu

There is another option and that is SKB rifle cases from S&O

http://www.safariandoutdoor.co.za/su...ory/hard_cases

Protea FT Team '11
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Buy the Storm iM3300 from SA Camera for R4348. Probably the lowest price in SA.

I prefer the Storm's latches to the Pelican's latches.