Thread: Living with a Hatsan Model-70 | Review

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Living with a Hatsan Model-70 | Review

Last year I bought a Hatsan mod 75 at a gun show for a very good price.
    When I shot with it the 1st time my excitement turned to dispair. When fired it made a horrible twang, had terrible recoil and at best sent the pellet in the general direction of the target. At best I got 50mm groups at 10m. Every time I picked up the rifle the zero point had changed and I had to start all over. It had killed its 1st scope.

The hatsan was shoved under my bed and I went back to my trusty Gamo 640 which was good for 20mm groups at 20m all day.

A few months ago I found this site and read about Vincents MZE air ram conversions on the Hatsan. After some inner turmoil over whether its worth spending money on the Hatsan or replacing it with something else I decided to have the air ram conversion done. Vincent also adjusted the trigger for me. I also filled the stock with window putty to get rid of the hollow sound.

Since the conversion the rifle has just got better. The action has bedded and got smoother, the trigger also took some getting used to but its now almost perfect.

Initialy it shot 10shot groups of 30mm using gamo pro hunter pellets. I tried gamo pro magnum pellets and the groups came down to 20-25mm.

Over the weekend I decided to cut off the plastic front site and recrown the barrel. I cut it off with a hacksaw and filed the barrel square with a flat file. I polished the bore using a brass .30 bullet in my drill and some metal polish.

Since doing this my groups have nearly halved in size. Most pellets go into a 10mm group at 20m with shooter errors opening the groups to about 15mm.

Now I would like to see what can be done with a better scope, better quality pellets and a better shooting bench. I would also like to have the barrel shortend and a silencer fitted but this will have to wait a while.

I have attached a 10 shot group shot before crowning the barrel and a 5 shot group shot afterwards. Both at 20m

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

You are doing well. Try JSB pellets in it.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Have you got any photos of your barrel mods.

thats good shooting

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    +1

Congratulations Gary, you tamed that Hatsan.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SnowBeast View Post
    Have you got any photos of your barrel mods.

thats good shooting
    I will take photos and post them

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post

Over the weekend I decided to cut off the plastic front site and recrown the barrel. I cut it off with a hacksaw and filed the barrel square with a flat file. I polished the bore using a brass .30 bullet in my drill and some metal polish.
    Explain how you did that crown nice and slow!
    .30 bullet?

/me is confused

Kuberboef

REP: SS Airguns

User Info Menu

Well done, my brother has a Hatsan mod 55s which I tuned just after he bought it. This past weekend I took a few shots with it and proceded to my make him an offer(more than 2x as much as he paid for it), he flatly refused. I would've too, its one of the nicest springer I've ever used and very accurate. I've dropped a few coke cans at 100m with it, its that accurate.
    Last edited by scout sniper; 26-07-12 at 12:35.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kuberboef View Post
    Explain how you did that crown nice and slow!
    .30 bullet?

/me is confused

Kuberboef
    Hi

Put a solid .30 bullet (I use a barnes x ) into your drill bit. Put grinding paste on the bullet. Put the tip of the bullet into your barrel and spin using the drill. This smooths the ends of the lands and removes any burrs or nicks. The bullet is much softer than the barrel steel so it is doesn't do any damage. I then used metal polish to finnish it off. I used a drop of Birchwood gun blue to blacken the barrel end.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Hi

Ive tried them and they are great. Here's a 10 shot group at 20m. I don't know what accuracy the rifle is capable of because this is the limit of my shooting ability, shooting from a sitting position over a tripod camping chair. The blocks are 20mm

Last edited by gary-t; 21-08-12 at 13:18. Reason: corrected

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I really didn't know that my Hatsan was capable of this accuracy.