Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noise reduction

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Noise reduction

I have a Gamo CFX that I use for backyard plinking. I would like to reduce the noise this rifle makes, but I am aware that silencers do not necessary work on springers. So, any hints/tips/advice on how not to bother the neighbours (when shooting!) would be appreciated. Previous neigbour did not mind, but the new occupants are real bunny huggers and totally anti-gun. Oh, and before I get flak on this, my backstop is a 2mm steel pellet catcher against a 3m high brick wall, there is a 2m high wall on the left, my house on the right and a double garage behind me.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i always have a silencer on my springer. it does reduce quite a bit noise. but the next noise u need worry about will be pellets hiting the trap. making those "DING. DING"

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Shoot with bubblegum like we did in the good old days

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Boondock, what silencer are you using? I would like details, please. The pellet trap is lined and I can insert a "wetpack" in the back to reduce noise.

Neilg, that can't be good for the barrell, but how do you do that? I never did that, but then noise was not an issue in my good old days.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The bubblegum that worked BEST was Wicks (the pink one).
    Just break a little piece off, roll it in your hand and push into the barrel, nice tight fit will do it.
    Caution ... you shoot yourself ... it hurts ...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

A silencer does help a bit and as you know every bit helps so try and get one - there's plenty of silencers in SA. The other trick is to tune the gun. That's a bit more complex and may need someone who is mechanically minded because several bits may need to be manufactured/engineered - like a tight fitting rear guide, a top guide and a sleeve to line the inside of your piston, to restrict the movement/vibratinos of the spring - that helps reduce the noise coming from the inside of the gun

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

I have read somewhere on the web about a guy who used a pack of window putty inside his pellet catcher. Shooting into the putty does not make any sound.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Using window putty (aka monkey Sh@#) in a trap is very efective and quiet. Just a mess to put it onto/in the backstop and clean it after a few 100 pellets.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Can also use a doormat (the coconut hair ones) and pin the paper target to that. Quite quiet - but eventually wears out. Reckon the flea market to be a cheap place for them.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

kobus, i don't really know the make of my silencer. it says for 0.22 rimfire. u can get it from most of gunshop for R400. since my springer is qb36-2, so i need fit a thread adeptor on the muzzle then put silcener on.

ice's Avatar ice

Try Charles Ellis at Woodchucks, he'll need the od of the barrel. It'll cost you about R200 for the adapter + postage from Jo-burg. Better yet, get a slip-on silencer from them, it big & ugly but it worked perfectly on my Talon at full power.

The silencer you got is probably a Manders - about 12cm long, 20mm thick, comes in black or silver and isn't very effective.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

when attached silencer. the noise almost can't be pickup if stand 10m away from the shooting. but still hear the piston hitting sound. it's small sound like "tick"

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Boondock
    What scope is that? Can you give me any advise on Tasco scopes? What and where to buy for how much? And mounts.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

it's tasco 4-16x40 illumilated. made in china. cost R600.

i wasn't happy about it at all at beginnging. the grouping changes all the time at 7m distance. its my fault, coz i didn't know how to zero a scope b4 and the minimum distance should be 10m.

now i started to like it after i fit it on my talon. good accurecy especially at longer range like 50m-70m.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

where did you buy it?