Thread: Sighting In And Hatsan mod70

SerpentWolf's Avatar SerpentWolf

Default Sighting In And Hatsan mod70

Ok, now I feel stupid asking for help as the first one doing so, please forgive me !ill
    I have bought my new Hatsan Model 70 Today, nice finish, trigger, nice everything. Just one problem, I can't sight it in, from ANY distance, even while benching. It has these TRU GLO fibre optic sights, and maybe I'm not used to these....
    I have tuned windage and elevation in all possible ways, the shot keeps falling WAY up, and WAAAY right. Theres nothing wrong with my holding the gun, im 70% sure of that.

So if anyone have ideas and advice on this, or the Hatsan rifles, please let me know &|

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Start at 10 meters and with a clean A4 paper. Make sure your rifle is not lying directly on something hard(table/.....) for the recoil will stuff you around. Rest the rifle on your hand and aim for the center of the paper. Once you get a group of at least 3 shots slowly adjust your sights.
    Hope this helps
    Lewis

SerpentWolf's Avatar SerpentWolf

Thanks!
    That method did help.
    I think these plastic truglo sghts are crappy.
    To get tight groups in the middle, the rear sight is set ALL THE WAY left, and ALL THE WAY down.
    It still shoots about 5 cm above bull. but its better.
    Maybe a scope will help

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I also owned a Hatsan and would rather not say more than that, I know own a S400...
    To try and solve your problem, YES a scope will help, but you will need good quality mounts, and if possible, a 1 pc mount will be your best option. If the gun doesn't have a "built" in scope stop you will also need to buy one of those, without it the SCOPE WILL MOVE.
    As for your open sites, have you tried removing the back site and putting it back on ?

bikeless's Avatar bikeless

I also have a hatsan mod 70.I removed the crappy plastic open sights and fitted a Tasco 4 * 40 scope with a solid scope mount.The rifle is actualy quite accurate and packs quit a punch.

Hint, Take the gun apart and clean out the crappy factory grease in the gun.Then Polish the cylinder and re-grease.

Gremlore's Avatar Gremlore

Crap. I just bought one of those. Im just starting off.
    Do all these factors mean its a crappy gun or is it just the sighting system and can this problem be completely eradicated. and why would I clean the inside out. will that help performance or accuracy.

From A dazed and confused
    Newbi

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

The rifle is not That bad. A scope will make a HUGE differance (not a cheap 4x20 Chinese brand piece of S...).Cleaning the inside of the rifle will make it more consistant not more accurate. I dont agree with the polishing of the inside of the tube, all the hard work is not worth the result.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,

First I will say that I am not familiar with the Hatsan Mod70, however as a general almost very spring powered rifle will benefit from having a little bit of work carried out on it from new.

By and large most of the cheaper rifles use a poor quality grease - some too much and others with very little. Removing this lubricant and replacing it with a high quality molybdenum disulphide grease can work wonders for smoothness and consistency - when done correctly this will have a knock on effect on accuracy by making the rifle more pleasant to shoot.

If there is enough interest in knowing more about this then drop me an e-mail and I will look to writing a review on the subject.

Dale

bikeless's Avatar bikeless

By Polishing and cleaning up the Rifle it made it shoot more consistantly and smoother giving me better groupings.However it does not come close to my Norica West

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

To everybody that I'm now going to offend - I'm sorry but the truth tends to hurt ! In my very personal opinion Hatsan is junk ! I know, I'm sitting with a Mod 55 that I will never use again - I can throw a stone more accurate than these guns can shoot a pellet. Ofcourse it also depends on what you want to use it for. If you get excited about shooting a Coke can on 20m then Hatsan and the other cheap Chinese guns are the way to go...
    I have always and will always recommend Gamo above anything else in the budget class, they are alot more accurate than the abovementioned and have MUCH BETTER triggers than the abovementioned and then they are also very close in price to most of the abovementioned.
    Go to a Gunshop and test both a Hatsan and a Gamo ... I rest my case !

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Re: Chinese air rifles, in the past these have been largely poor quality. However the latest crop of rifles from China are a cut above the old ones in terms of quality.

My particular favourite at the moment is a model called the XS-B20. This is in effect a direct clone of a Weihrauch HW95.

As supplied from the factory the trigger is badly adjusted and the gun is noisy to due insufficent lubricant. If you are prepared to spend a bit of time with this rifle it is capable of quite a good performance.

The trigger pull can be improved out of all recognition and a strip, polish and relube of the internals makes it quite a smooth handling rifle. When I reviewed one recently it was capable of 25mm groups at 25metres.

Now this is not on a par with the performance of an Air Arms TX200 or ProSport, but for a rifle which in the UK is less than half the price of the Air Arms rifles and about 30% cheaper than the rifle it is a copy of, is pretty reasonable performance for your money.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I have to stand by Neil. Rather get a second hand rifle of decent origin than these buget crap. I have been there and wasted alot of money. The rifles seems like a good investment at first but they don't last. It will be a while before the rifle's Dale is talking about will be available here. For now they are dumping all their S... here. Just renember you will never get 2 liters of water out of a 500ml bottle.