Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input please!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Input please!

I was approached by the German School in gardens or at least one of the organisers of their end of year feit and I was asked to set up and run an airrifle stand of sorts so that anyone young and old can come and try their hand at marksmanship.

Now this does not sound like a subject that needs input but I have decided to turn them down unless one of you has a brilliant solution to a problem that has cropped up.

I offered to go and see the organisers which I did and right away the alarm bells rang. After getting to the proposed site which I might add was in the school parking lot I noticed that it was facing a public road which was only about 30 metres away, one would think that things like this would be obvious but I gave them the benefit of the doubt given that they have no experience with this sort of thing and oversight can and will occur.

Anyway, I managed to steer them through oversight after oversight with immense patience and they were very accommodating and then a crossroads was reached and this is where I drew the line. Basicly one of the organisers jokingly ( or so I thought ) said to me that the beer tent would be right by the range should I start getting thirsty. I could immediately see where this was going so I said straight away that booze and guns of any discription do NOT mix and that I would be drinking cooldrink only.

Well, this german chap looked at me as though I was nuts. I explained that although I was not going to shoot myself, I was inadvertedly responsible for the safety of everyone within range of getting hurt or worse. He then made it very clear that the fathers of the kids would be drinking, himself included and that they would shoot if they so choose regardless of how many beers they had consumed as long as they were not obviously pissed!

I then declared that no matter how well a man holds his drink, safety would be compromised and that I wasn,t happy. He then took a firmer tone with me saying that everything would be fine. I then asked him how it would be possible for me to ascertain whether a man was too drunk to shoot or not and what would happen if I turned people away. They would obviously be deeply offended after being accused of being drunk and some at least would definately get out of hand given their impaired reasoning and then what?

He listened to all of my concerns and replied by saying that only the people that were visibly wobbly would be turned away. I realised that an argument was brewing so I left it at that but I must say that I am utterly amazed that anyone could entertain the possibility of pissed people shooting in a school environment especially on a day when many families will be present and would have assumed that safety is taken care of by the responsible parent body and organisers.

I can just see a whole bunch of headaches coming my way and I feel that I should retract my offer sighting the boose as the reason. Unfortunately the youngsters will miss out because some of their fathers will want to get hammered and in so doing, put me in a predicament. I'm doing them a favour and they are making me feel like a real wet blanket but I refuse to allow pissed people to shoot.

Have any of you guy,s experienced this problem before and how if at all did you manage to handle it ammicably? Please chuck some idea's my way.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Andrew if they cant do it the safe way dont do it at all.

Most people make the mistake of thinking pellet guns are toys.

Dont they have a spot in a hall or an old .22 range ?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I see no problem with shooting obnoxious (spelling?) drunks when they start getting pushy. Err, seriously, I can't see ANY fete ANYHWERE with mixed age groups and variable levels of intoxication and various levels of shooting skills EVER working.
    I hope no-one on this forum EVER considers this.
    You know the answer - TURN IT DOWN!
    Only way it could ever work is like in the old days with amusement parks where the rifles shot wood or cork bb's at 5m max with 0.2fpe or something...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Aha, therein lies the answer - my last post that is!
    You get the guys to shoot airsoft rifles instead of pellet air rifles... Problem solved!!!

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

We had the german school come to Wonderboom and shoot there.No problems.Found a few good shooters.Only problem is I believe we did not pick up any new members.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Allan, two things. Firstly what you say about these things not bringing new members onto the books is absolutely true. I have been doing this type of thing exhaustively over the last year and a half and I have spoken myself blue in the face and punted the sport to hundreds of people of various ages and not once did I sign a new member as a result. I do these things purely in the foolish hope that air rifle shooting will become the 8th wonder of the world.

Secondly, there is unfortunately no shooting range on the premises and given the unpredictable Cape weather in November I would imagine that any hall or gymnasium would almost surely be earmarked as a refuge should the rains come.

Anyway, even if there was such a facility there is still the issue of pisscats and guns and although I feel badly I have to agree with you and walk away.

I would much rather be known as the wet blanket than the irresponsible asshole that could have prevented a tradjedy.

Lastly, I will continue to do this type of thing for the exposure if nothing else so that people can see that the sport exists but I know very well that the interested people find the sport, not the other way around.

Thanx for the input, I guess I will have to walk away and I'm not going to mince my words iether. I,ll give them the option of beer or shooting and I,m willing to bet that beer will take the win at

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Andrew how about just letting the kids shoot. Because they are under age and thus will not be drinking they will be of sound mind one would hope. This way the sport can reach the kids that would most benefit from it.

Not having the fathers shoot might be not be ideal but I think that this would be the best solution. Guns and Beer does not go together.

If all fails then rather retract your offer.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Enzace, I already considered that approach but I got the distinct impression that the stall was the idea of the men for the men with alchohol thrown in to enhance the "fun"

Protea FT Team '16
    SAFTAA FT Colours '15

User Info Menu

Only allow the kids to shoot, no adults.

Andrew have faith! Air rifles will be the 8th wonder!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Falco, the way I see it, there are only kids involved, teens and forty somethings alike. MORONS!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Who supplying the rifles? Maybe a word about the negative feedback if someone is hurt...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Walk away Pal and save yourself some problems. I said so before and I will repeat it until I'm blue in the face. You will not grow your numbers noticeably by having shooting days like that. It is a proven fact. The people, old and young, enjoy shooting but invariably that is it. When they hear what a pellet gun, even a springer, cost these days, they flee, and bloody fast. It is just not worth your efforts, believe me. We all sat with a hundred youngsters, for days, at various venues, using our rifles and ammo and not even one joined a club, that I know of.

REP: Air Rifle Pros

User Info Menu

Andrew I agree walk away!

There is nothing that the authorities would like more than if there was an incident involving an Air Rifle at a school!

It could give them a reason to ban all all air rifle shooting at schools level. That would be the death knell for shooting as a whole in South Africa!

We must remember that our Government of the day is not firearm / air rifle friendly at all. We therefore cannot afford to give them any ammunition to use against the shooting fraternity!

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

run don't walk..

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Decline politely and move on..