Thread: Strange adjustable rest/pad?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Strange adjustable rest/pad?

Hi everyone

Been lurking for a while, reading all the interesting discussions. I'm planning to build a custom stock for my CZ200S in the next few weeks and been surfing for some ideas. I saw some pictures of a FT rifle with a strange looking adjustable pad on the bottom of the front portion of the stock. I guess it's a sort of knee pad. Are any of you using a stock with somethng similar and what are your opion of this type of rest/pad? Does it add any value? Is it in the way when your not shooting from a sitting position etc.?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Mitcheic

keep us posted on how your stock building is processing. Fotos of before and work in progress !!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Some people refer to it as a hamster. It is used as you said for a knee rest. Very usefull for FT shooting.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I decided to go without the knee thingy. I bought some wood today for the stock and will probably start working this weekend. I'll set up a web site documenting the progress, maybe it will be usefull for others not to repeat the same mistakes I'm going to make. Will post the URL in the next few days.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

What type of wood are you going to use?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Mitchejc
    I have gone through the pain of building a custom stock for my 200S. I used imbuya wood. The wood was cut to 8mm boards and drumsanded. The boards were laminated 2 leaving three laminated boards. The template was drawn and the cylinder recess routed. Lots of care should be taken here. After the cylinder recesses have been routed, the middle laminate board is cut to recieve the breech block and support the cylinder. The breech threaded bolt guide was drilled with a jig and the three laminated boards, laminated to one another using many clamps and wood spreaders. Make sure that the glue is spread evenly before attempting a laminate. Leave for 24 hours.
    After the boards were laminated the rifle parts were fitted to check for allignment and marking of recessed holes and clearance for the striking pin activation arm as well as clearance for the venturi adjustment nut. Only after these were drilled and chisseled, did i follow the template to cut out the shape of the stock using a coping saw and a drill to cut guiding holes 5 mm outside of the guidelines of the template. It leaves enough space to prevent errors. The wood was smoothed and I then used a spoke shave to shape the fore and butt end. A thumbhole was my option with a semicutaway shoulderstock. The whole project from start to finish took about 600 hours. I am still treating the wood with oil.

Good luck

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

What about posting a picture, would love to see your handy work.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Stoffels Bushwacka

Pic as requested

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Apr 01 2005, 08:37AM ]</span>

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I bet its going to come in very handy. Your gun looks absolutly amazing!
    My first attempt was done with Rosewood. I decided to go with someting more exotic for this one and bought a piece of grainy Ironwood against all advice.