Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AA S400 leak

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default AA S400 leak

I Aquired an AA S400 about 8 months ago from a reputable dealer and the rifle was leaking air from the word go. Would drain from 150bar to 50 bar in 5 days.

After several attempts to get a reaction from the dealer where I bought the rifle, (far away from where I live) I eventually took it to an dealer close to me who send it to the local agents. When it came back after a week, the rifle was empty. Sent it back again. Returned after two weeks.

The rifle is still leaking allthough less than before. Takes about ten to 12 days from 150 to 50bar then it stays there.

This means a complete refill every time I want to shoot and uses lots of air.

Is there anybody that had a similar problem before and what was the solution? Any suggestions where the leak could be?

Thanks in advance

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

There should be no problem to sort this .There is only 1 part that seals the air off.You either have a leaky vaulve housing or a leaking filler unit.I have heard of a few filler units that leak.Little bit of tlc should get you back on the road.Have you tried the hillcrest gun shop ?Andre knows the S400's and should give you the right help.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

which local agents did your local dealer send it to?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Please "Name and Shame" them here, this is afterall what the forum is there for.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Have you sent the rifle to Air Arms Target Sport yet, I will eat my hat if Louis didn't see you right and I wont believe you if you say he is the culprit!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. I dont like to name and shame people, but the rifle was bought from the best known air rifle shop in Boksburg. I have phoned three times and e-mailed twice. No reply on any of my enquiries.

I did take it to Andre and he is a great guy. He was the one that sent it to the Air Arms agents in Gauteng somewhere.

I did get some info on one of the British forums that I would try out before I take it back to Andre again. The guy advised me to put the barrel under water to check if it is leaking from the barrel port, but I work at a lab where we use lots of gases. We check our piping for leaks with a little bit of soapy water. The bubbles quickly show were the leaks are. Since the dishwashing liquid contains acids, you cannot use that, but certain hand washing liquids that ladies use for their hands, are acid free and actually contains some lanolin that wont cause rust.

I will dub it with a little brush all over the possible areas and hope to find the exact point of the leak.

I know about a FX200 that leaked from the inside of the pressure gauge. The guy replaced the pressure gauge and all was well.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I had a S400 that leaked as little as yours. Because of my nature I mentioned it to Louis and he took my rifle in. When I got it back it did NOT leak AT ALL. Very nice you say? NO!! I say. A friend made himself a filling adaptor for the S400. This thing needed two people to operate, unless you want to bend or break your filling equipment on your rifle. The next thing was that the valve on his tank was a bit shod and he inadvertently pumped 270 bar of air, out of a 300bar tank, into my rifles reservoir. The damn thing sealed so good that I took a life time to shoot the excess away as it was the new arrangement, that you can’t bleed as easily as the quick release. Some times a slow leak is to your advantage; in my case it would have been.

REP: Air Rifle Pros

User Info Menu

Johan,

I will speak to Andre today, would you please return the rifle to him an get him to send it back to me at my expense.

After effecting the repair I immersed the rifle in liquid at the time and did not see any indication of a leak at all. I also left the rifle under pressure for 3 days and it did not appear to be leaking.

Louis Geyser.

Protea FT Team '06/'07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13/'14
    National FT Champ '05/'08

User Info Menu

Johan
    I presume you are talking about me. In response i would like to know when you bought the rifle.
    When did you sent the mails and when did you phone me and got no reply.
    AA HAS GOT THE BEST SERVICE OF ALL THESE RIFLES
    This is the first word i hear of this rifle
    WHO DID YOU PHONE ?
    WHO DID YOU SPEAK TO?
    WHAT EMAIL ADRESS DID YOU USE?

Protea FT Team '06/'07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13/'14
    National FT Champ '05/'08

User Info Menu

IF I WERE YOU I WOULD SENT THE RIFLE BACK FOR A FULL REFUND /NO QUESTIONS ASKED 8 MONTHS AGO

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Is it a common thing for these rifles to leak air? The s400 I bought from (I assume) the same shop in boksburg also leaked air. I didnt have any problems to get it fixed in fact I called the guy and he took it back and fixed it the same day.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I have never had one leak and I have had more than 20 through my grubby paws

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Really Guido? You think this is just co incidence? I was told the AA S400 is the best so I went all the way to jhb to get it. I just got a bit concerned hearing someone else had an air leak problem too. Luckily it could be fixed before I had to come back. The guy at the shop said if it leaks again he can help me to have the rifle returned and replaced. he was very helpful.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I will try to answer most of the questions in one reply.

Thanks Importer, I will take the rifle to Andre on Monday / Tuesday. I work 50 km from home and cant just quickly pop in and out during the day. Please check the pressure gauge also. It shows much less pressure than what you actually fill the rifle with. If I fill to 175 bar, it shows less than 150 on the gauge. (The gauge on the tank seems ok, it corresponds with my other rifle's pressure gauge)

Sniper, I did not want to get involved in an argument. I bought the rifle at the end of last year, just before Christmas. If you remember, I also took a hard plastic guncase and an Oryx 10-40X50. I cannot remember the exact date. Initially I thought that the problem would sort itself out, bit when it did not improve my March, I e-mailed using the "CONTACT US" link on your website.
    After a couple of weeks, I e-mailed again. I even received a delivery and read reply through MS Outlook. (23/05/2007)

Still no reply. then I phoned. The guy who answered (it was not you) took my number and promised that he would take the matter up with you and that you would get back to me. More phone calls, more promises.
    Up to now still no reply. I live 600 km's from you and dont travel that way often. If I do its for meetings and with a very tight timeschedule. That's why I started to to take another route.

Amber, If you look on the British Air Arms owners club forum under technical stuf you will be surprised to see how many complains there are on leaks in the S400 rifles.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

when you consider how many tens of thousands of S400s there are in circulation in the UK a few postings on the forum regarding leaks would in no way indicate a major problem...

Leaks can and do happen, o-rings fail and wear out.
    Improper filling procedure which introduce dust, brass shavings off filler probes, etc , can also contribute to leaks.

Anyway on the S400 they are easily remedied and the local agents in my experience have always responded beyond the call of duty to sort out problems.