Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing an IPAS air pistol

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Choosing an IPAS air pistol

Ok so I am thinking that this IPAS could become a big thing and it looks like a huge amount of fun so any excuse is a good excuse to go sniff the shops for a CO2 pistol. Our local farmer’s co-op only sells the BB type, so it was off to the new hobby shop in Witbank. Gamo are well represented with 2 models that can shoot Diablo, a Gamo K1 Doug Koenig and a PT85 Blowback. Then a Daisy Power line 008.
    The K1 Gamo sat well in the hand, but feels and looks very plastic. The mag change would also be a pain (it’s like a mini break barrel). The PT85 had a much better feel to it BUT uses the same break barrel method to change the mag. Prices were not bad with the K1 coming in at R1300 and the PT85 R1500.
    The Daisy was a non starter as I have one and to get it fixed is proving to be a headache. (It’s only an O-ring seal that needs to be replaced) Kevin says it’s not standard stuff…..so moving along we stumbled upon a UMAREX.
    Enter the Beretta PX4 Storm, a few rand more than the competition @R1700 but in my humble opinion worth it. Feels solid and comes with a 16 shot mag. When I say 16 shot, the mag has two 8 shot, round “mini mags” at each end so changing the mag should not prove that difficult.
    Then in typical sales talk I was assured that this little beauty can shoot well over 500fps (this is why it is more expensive then the Gamo) On getting home I went straight to the UMAREX site and the specs say it should do around 115m/s (377.29fps). Got the Bullet speed trap out and the lightest .177 I have are those Daisy wad cutters that come in at 7.7gr, well 8 shots and we ran a average 338fps. This is OUT THE BOX, will put a few lead pellets down the barrel to lube her up and some TLC tonight and see what we have in the morning. So far so good am happy with the buy.

Calibre 4,5 mm (.177) pellet / BB
    Power Source 12 g CO2 capsule
    Magazine Capacity 2 x 8 round(s)
    Safety manual
    Sights adjustable for windage
    Energy ca. 3,5 Joules
    Overall Length 192 mm
    Barrel Length 105 mm
    Weight 755 g
    Velocity 115 m/s
    Trigger Double Action

Last edited by Saxon; 23-12-12 at 15:27.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

My two choices:

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

What are they?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Both are made by Umarex.

First is a Colt 1911 replica and the second a Beretta 92 FS replica.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Nice that top one looks just like my old 9mm star.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    Both are made by Umarex.

First is a Colt 1911 replica and the second a Beretta 92 FS replica.
    Those would be my choices as well more likely the 911

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Why....motivate. People are looking at buying to get into IPAS...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I just wish umarex made a replica of the sig P226

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
    Why....motivate. People are looking at buying to get into IPAS...
    Cos it shoots 800fps

Just personal choice sax on the flip side a umarex cps is cool again just personal

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Being co2 driven pistols I don't think that one differs too much from another

Daisy I would stay away from as u previosly mentioned that I ring that keeps going is a pain mine was brand new one co2 through it it was stuffed waited three months to get it fixed and did it again

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggleitjustalittlebit View Post
    Cos it shoots 800fps

Just personal choice sax on the flip side a umarex cps is cool again just personal

Strictly speaking that would be steel challenge with actual firearms.

IPAS is a UK thing born out of their firearms ban.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

iv been looking at pistols myself, the few things iv noticed that would be needed:

mag capacity, the more shots you can get off between changes the better
    accuracy and consistency, C02 gets cold quick so the gun needs to shoot shot 10 at the same speed as shot one when shooting rapidly
    ease of reloading

the contenders iv tested so far: all except one had speed issues when shooting rapidly.

Gamo PT80: feels very plastic but for the most part a good pistol, spares are cheap and available, accurate, mag change is fiddly but not impossible to do quickly

Gamo PT85: much better fit and feel then the PT80, blow back action is annoying but it does re cock the hammer making trigger pull far superior to the PT80, double ended mag means very easy mag changes.

Gamo V3: my personal favorite so far: 15 round mags with independent valves means every time you reload you have a fresh (read not frozen) valve and C02 bomb so shots are very consistent. the trigger is slightly better then the PT80 but not as good as the PT85. this gun uses lead balls so the accuracy is not as great as guns using pellets, the upside of course is that you can put more lead down range faster. the safety and mag release are both where they should be and function like most center fire pistols, reloading is very quick with the full sise mags.

Taurus PT92: should be a great pistol but im still trying to get it to run on lead balls rather then steel BB's

Umarex CP99: a good solid metal gun that looks and functions exactly the same as the Walther/SW P99. mag change is the biggest issue i had, followed closely by trigger pull. it was the most accurate gun iv tested so far.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If you read most of the UK sites the 6" S&W 586 seems to be the most popular. I think it's like most things and will end up being personal taste. Like all other sports, if you read umarex boys club forum these pistols get tuned to the 100th degree! Basic is a polish and re-lube......I need to try and strip my PX4 today and do some polish work.

REP: SS Airguns

User Info Menu

I'm at work so don't have time for a search. Can someone briefly give a run down of what the sport is about.
    Thanx.