Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a safety warning regarding Walthers..

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Default Just a safety warning regarding Walthers..

Picked this up on the yellow forum after a few accidents were reported with LG300s...
    I think people should be aware and take precautions....I am not trying to belittle the Dominators since they have proved themselves over and over again.

My friends;

This is not a new thing, I have been telling people to use protective gear allways.

Especially with Dominators.

This was posted way back on July 7th, 2004 in a well known forum:

"Hiya Everyone!

I've been real busy, but I just finished repairing a Walther Dominator and would like to issue a safety reminder:

ALWAYS wear shooting glasses or goggles.

The rifle in question broke while a shot was being released and fast (really fast) air came at the shooter's eyes out of the barrel, becasue the gun has a rear "ramp" the air tends to get into your eye; if the shooter in question had not been using glasses, he would now wear an eye patch and be switching over to shooting from the south paw...

The culprit is a small pin that cocks the "bolt" when the side lever is brought up & back and holds the bolt in place when the side lever is brought down & fore. If it breaks, the bolt is free to slide back in its channel and while the bolt itself is pretty well contained, the air is not.

The pin is made of steel, about 3 mm's in diameter in its working section and in this particular instance, it became fatigued with use and when there was only about ½ mm left, it broke. Supposedly it is a non-stressed part as it only holds the air during the firing cycle, but reality has shown otherwise.

So, please be safe and use shooting glasses/goggles. Always.

Un abrazo!"

In that particular instance I substituted a metric drill rod for the usual pin. It has not failed since.

In another instance, I substituted a metric carbide rod section (from Travers Tool Corp.) and that has not failed either.

I am somewhat dumbfounded that Walther would have elected to ignore all warnings, especially when the replacement part costs less than US$1.00, but it seems that it has done so, even in the face of clear and present danger to the users.

We are still NOT excused from using protective gear whenever we shoot, but there are grounds, IMHO to get some sort of reparation from Walther/UMAREX, as this has been a known weak point of the design.

Good luck and if I can be of any help, contact me.

Un Abrazo!

Héctor

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

My friends;

This is not a new thing, I have been telling people to use protective gear allways.

Especially with Dominators.

This was posted way back on July 7th, 2004 in a well known forum:"""

thanks Guido

but check the date 2004 this will have been sorted out a long time ago or Walther would have had many more failures. i can also post AA and Steyr faults from the past.

i agree that PPE should be worn or used, i dont use it maybe i should start.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

There was a recent failure only last week which I read about on one forum.
    It seems like there is a really easy fix so perhaps everyone should implement it or at least make sure the newer rifles have it already.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

i read that yesturday, it looks bad.

he is does not want to post any pics of the rifle. that is strange. nodony seems to know what the cause is and what the cure is.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have very much respect for Hector, I think he is one of the most knowledgeable airgunners out there that i know of.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

the cause and the cure was outlined in one of the postings...seems like a pin which shears off..part no. 9 on the diagram http://www.carl-walther.info/dev2/fi...%202668190.pdf

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

"the pin that held the bolt in snapped and fell away... the bolt just slid out backwards, pushed by HP air."

gees... i always worried about that bolt fly back thing... it can happen to lot's bolt rifle.... side lever will be more safe on this one....

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

Total Dom,

This is about failures that can cause serious injuries not "faults"

But!----please report the AA and Steyr "faults" on this forum so that the necessary problems can be verified and categorised and action taken if they are of a dangerous nature.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well said MMP, that was no jab at the Dommies, I would also like to know about potential dangers and if the manufacturers arent going to say anything then good for Guido and other guys who care enough to bring these things up. This is no time to get defensive, keep things in their intended context.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quite humbling, let's people think twice about judging the "lesser" rifles like BAM....i.e. While some rifles might be closer to perfection than others, they're still not perfect.

Protea FT Team '06/'07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13/'14
    National FT Champ '05/'08

User Info Menu

I'm sure Walther took notice back in 2004 of the problem and rectified it
    As for the current Walther's there is no problems i now of.
    They still win competition after competition

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Come now SNIPER, don't sart allthat again. I could not do any harm to take note and check your rifles for that.It happened just a month ago to a rifle, it could happen to yours or mine, if my good sense did not preven me from buying one, that is. It could be dangerous. You have had your chances with exploding rifles, don't push your luck.

Protea FT Team '06/'07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13/'14
    National FT Champ '05/'08

User Info Menu

he he I'm not pushing I'm pulling

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '17/'19

User Info Menu

WHAT are you pulling?