Thread: Stainless Steel

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Stainless Steel

Could someone shed some light on stainless steel quality on blades 420hc vs 153cm vs 13C26 vs High Carbon Stainless.
    what would be the best?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

All the different metals have different properties.If you want a heavy working blade go for a softer more mallable metal.For a razor blade high carbon content is ok as the blade wont chip on your face .

There are a lot of guys that could help you betteer I am sure .

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

153CM? You probably mean 154CM, made by Crucible in New York State. Brilliant steel, been around for decades and equivalent to the Japanese ATS34 almost in every way. 13C26 from Sandvik is more of a utility blade steel type than a hunting knife type.
    It really depends on what kinda knife you're talking about. That'll determine the choice of steel. HC steels are more brittle in general, but hard-wearing. Hunting/fishing knife apps is what I'll comment on.
    I'm no knifemaker, but an avid fan of the art and have read a crapload of opinions and reviews on different steel types.
    If I have to list my favourite steels in order of most to least favourite it'll be as:
    San Mai III - S30V - 12C27 - 154CM/ATS34 - AUS8 - AUS6 - S90V - 420HC - 440V - 440C.
    Stay away from 440A or 440B and normal 420.
    That's my 2c worth. Maybe there are some people on this forum who've actually worked with some of these and can elaborate.
    Btw, my everyday carry folder is a Camillus Cuda Dominator (folder) with solid machined Ti handles and S30V modded tanto blade. Really couldn't want anything more.
    I see Gerber has now also caught onto the SxxV bandwagon... and charging an arm & a leg for it.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Fucius, I did mean 154cm. Thanks for the informative response I do find this fascinating.