Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power rule in Field Target

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Power rule in Field Target

Hi guys

I just want to find out something. I know that your gun needs to shoot 12ft/lbs or less for field target, but what % of error is worked into the rule. The speed of a 8.44gr AA field that would be 800.09 ft/sec so say my gun shoots 809 ft/sec on a crony is this too much ?

I shoot with a S400 Extra FAC adjustable and before the Wolwehoek shoot I shot it in on a crony at Louis at Air Arms Target sport with 8.44 gr AA fields and the speed was between 798 - 809 ft/sec. I taped the Adjustment screw off to make sure it doesn't move.

Is this correct ? Am I doing something wrong ?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

set it a bit lower...in the 775 to 785 region.

You are not allowed to go even one iota above 12 ft\lbs in FT

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Weight X Speed = Ft/lbs
    8.44 X 785 = 11.54 FT/lbs
    You S400 can vary up to 11 feet per second between shots, meaning you can get sometimes very near to 800 ft per sec which is your max, and our friend Murphy can arrange this for you on a shoot, and then you have to set your rifle before a shoot, and everything will change.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

So i agree with Guido, 775 - 785.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks guys I will adjust my rifle.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

How many shots do they shoot in a string to check. We are opening a 12fpe class in NZ next year and the clubs participating in the National Series will have to police this. This is something that is new to us as we have always shot at full power. Any info or tips on how it is usually done at competitions would be great. IE: Do all guns get tested or pulled at random?

Sorry if this is perceived as Highjacking. It fits perfectly into Enzace's original question.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

JAVZ

I would also like to know that. Do they test guns at random or do they just test your gun if you are in the top 5 for example.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

all guns get tested

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Before the shoot quido or after ? And how many shots do they fire to check ?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If you do the maths thing you will get some very interesting results.

If for argument sake you have a rifle that can deliver 12ft lb consistently you will get from an 8.1 grain pellet 817ft/s and from an 8.6 grain pellet 792 ft/s.

I and many others have weighed pellets and the spread of weights in the same tin can vary from 8 to 8.7 grain in some brands and between 8.1 and 8.6 grains in other brands. Even the "good"brands have similar spreads.

So, you can either weigh your pellets to get some better consistency or you can use some of the heavy pellets to shoot over the chrony at a competition or you can detune your rifle to shoot a bit slower.

Protea FT Team '06/'07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13/'14
    National FT Champ '05/'08

User Info Menu

what normally happens the rifles get tested before you go in to the course or they have a point in the range where you have to past .Its a 5 shot average

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

Hi we normaly give a 10fps alowance. so if you shoot 806fps it is ok, we have not yet said that you have to use these pellets when shooting through the chrony so it is a little inacurate. it keeps the speed down so the trajectory should be the same. if you are over you have to de tune and shoot again and if you are still over then that rifle is not allowed to shoot.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I suppose in the UK they have to be ultra strict since anything over 12 ft\lbs is highly illegal and has to be constrained.

A rifle shooting at 810 fps versus one shooting at 780 fps will have obviously no advantage in our neck of the woods...

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

As an outsider to FT with no understanding of the rules! Just out of curiosity, why 12fbs? I can understand the reg in the UK due to their law, but why here - locally?

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

the sport comes from there so you addopt the same rules. you dont want to change the sport. it is only the americans who want to change the rules to soot them and them complain when nobody wants to shoot there rules.