Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Field Target & Field Target air rifles

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Default Field Target & Field Target air rifles

Having read a lot on this forum some thoughts have occurred to me.

Regarding the growth - or lack of - of Field Target as a sport in SA, why should this be?

FT as a sport was started with the ethos of being a friendly, fairly informal sport for anyone with an air rifle to take part.

Now with the competitive nature of humans it has obviously developed considerably from where it started in that first competition behind the Red Lion pub in Magham Down, Sussex some 27 years ago.

However should it be asked if in SA too much emphasis is being placed on teams for the worlds, colours and personal glory rather than helping to grow the sport at the grass roots level?

Without increasing your inflow of new blood into the sport, the risk is being run that it will die from lack of new generations of shooters coming in.

I do realise that you are working under certain difficulties, but, should even more attention be paid to growth?

That is not to say you shouldn't continue to attend the international events, but keep that as an aside rather than the prime motivation for a while.

On the rifle front - to an outside observer the sort of comments made on this site re X is the best....... are just plain silly.

The simple fact is a very large number of rifles are equally capable of fine perormance in FT, many are not perfectly suited to it straight out of the box. Regarding the converted 10m rifles NONE of these are designed as FT rifles and as such are not perfect out of the box, but can be made to do the job very effectively.

As to the Dommie vs AA crap - well it could just as easily been the Steyr or the FWB vs AA, it just happened that the Dommie got chosen and aggressively marketed.

In the small FT communtiy of SA, really there is not enough choice of equipment to draw any definitive conclusion. To put this into perspective, I would say that the entirety of FT in SA is about the same size as the SWEFTA region in the UK - i.e less than 10% of the total UK FT scene.

Anyway this isn't meant to start an argument but hopefully some constructive discussion and thinking.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Preach on Brother!

Cant we vote for you as president?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I think another reason FT and HFT is not growing as fast as people will like is because of the costs involved in SA. In SA you will pay between 50 and 90% more for the same rifle as in the USA or UK or NZ. And in SA you cant buy the rifle and pay it back with 0% interest as in UK. So take a rifle in SA and buy it for 50 -90% more and then pay an extra 25 % interset on top of that. It gets quite steep!
    So a lot (all?) the new comers is not ready to spend R5-15k to start a sport which they dont even know if they will compete for a long time and thus they buy inferior equipment because its affordable but then its not good enough to compete so they never really join the sport.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

As I said initially, I do recognise you are up against certain difficulties, of which cost is one.

Out of curiosity how much of the extra cost is down to shipping and import taxes, overheads etc and what percentage can be attributed to the human sin of good old fashioned greed?

Anyway I refer you back to my first point, FT started originally as a sport for anyone with an air rifle - any air rifle not just the then undreamt of race guns.

It seems in the quest to be competitive we have forgotten our roots - to a degree the UK is just as guilty of this so this isn't an anti SA diatribe.

The point is you need to find a way to encourage the budget concious folks to shoot. There is no easy solution to this.

But just because there is no easy solution doesn't mean that efforts shouldn't be made to include all-comers.

For instance take a 40 shot course of fire - would it hurt to include say 10 'gimme' targets to encourage those of lesser ability and cheap kit - perhaps if combined with a 2-1-0 scoring system for a budget class or spring gun class might just tip the scales in the favour of FT - what would it cost - nothing other than a set of score cards, perhaps a couple of cheap medals or badges and a little bit of time to organise.

For those with aspirations to international 'glory' they still get 30 tough targets and have the ability to practice on their own time as well.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have been pushing the idea of cheap kit and HFT for as long as I have been in the sport including making allowance for open sight classes and the like at our shoots and I am happy to say that the large majority of our chaps have inexpensive equipment and derive no less pleasure than the deep pocketed blokes who shoot alongside them with their raceguns.

The problem is still the ellusive numbers that we so desperately seek and to date there does not appear to be a quick fix. My plan is to keep things running along with the other loyalists till eventually the sport takes off or at least untill our government takes everyones guns away and leaves them with no option but to resort to air rifles and that my friend will be a great day for air rifle shooting impgrin

Protea FT Team '06/'07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13/'14
    National FT Champ '05/'08

User Info Menu

a nother problem at the moment the licences is coming thru

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Sniper, as you put it "at the moment" honest responsible people WILL be disarmed and as much as that pisses me off it's gonna happen just as sure as a visit to the pot after a night of dopping!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Whats this about licences? Are we now going to have to licence our toys?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Dale , why is it when you have something to say it cost me a half hour to read?

Ahh I get it .I read too slow

REP: Air Rifle Pros

User Info Menu

No there is no talk of licencing Air rifles at present but the future is anyones guess!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks importer...

Protea FT Team '06/'07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13/'14
    National FT Champ '05/'08

User Info Menu

im talking about center fire rifles

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Dale ,as you know .In South Africa everybody does there own thing their own way.This I think is half the problem when it comes to developement.

There are many of us that put the leg work in to get the sport growing.Andrew, Wyan and Sir Deon to name only a few.Their work just does not bear fruit often.

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

Dale,

In your opener you have hit the nail on the head in one of your statements---although I recollect you and others have done so before.

What a trajedy all sport would be if people only compete for personal glory and not for the enjoyment.

" Let the Nation Play " (author known)

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Allan, this thread is not meant to 'bash' the efforts of the individuals who put the effort to promote the sport. Their hard work and devotion often goes unrecognised and with little thanks.

My concern is that FT needs to be operated for what it was truly meant to be, an airgun sport for the 'masses' - it is far bigger than any national team - such a team should be a side benefit to the main grass root sport - not the prime motivation.