Thread: Scope durability

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

Default Scope durability

I was just wondering...

Will normal springer scopes work on a hunting rifle?
    What about scopes like the ZOS, Nighteater, etc?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yes they will work. In fact, a hunting rifle (eg: 30-06) actually has less recoil effect on a scope then a springer. This is because a springer produces two recoil effects (forward and return) which creates a far greater shock then a hunting rifle. Hard to believe but true...!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

It's true.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have a friend that has a Nighteater on his .30-06 for a year now and he hasn't had any problem.

REP: The Airgun Shop

User Info Menu

thanks

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Farmer I had that same Question when I was looking at new Scopes. I went for the ZOS 10-40 X 50. I was also told that I could put it on my 30-06 - which was the deciding factor

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

As I understand it the ZOS was originally made for centrefire rifles and requires some basic fettling to be used inside ten metres. A friend of mine uses a ZOS on his 300 win mag and for those of you who dont know, the win mag kicks sharply.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guys I have seen scopes like these used on many centrefire rifles but I personally would buy a high quality scope for a centrefire rifle like a Leupold of a Lynx.

Just my personal feeling.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Enzace, While scopes are being discussed. How do you rate your Lynx scope? Do you ever experience POI shifts? Can that scope focus down to ten metres?
    I'm currently in the market for a new scope. I did ask for qwotations on leapers scopes etc but nobody is coming back to me. At least I will be able to buy a Lynx at Kloppers. I just want to know whether that scope is worth it as my previous scope, a Lynx 3-9X36DT was not to my liking. It got POI shifts. I dont think it can be my Anxor.

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

If you use your rifle for hunting, I would suggest that you dont go for a budget priced scope, as the price of a hunt, and the game you shoot, is far to much, to jeperdise with a missed, or bad placed shot, or even a woonded animal, left behind in the field, fully paid for. And all of that, just because your equipment failed.

Rather save a bit more, and buy the best scope you can afford. A reasonally good scope for hunting, can be bought for around R 2000.00 and up, depending on the make, and magnification.

Vettie's Avatar Vettie

i will go for nothing less than a leupold