Thread: Import Duties

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Import Duties

I recently purchased a V-Mach tuning kit for my HW97K from BAR in England.

And i just received the slip in the mail today saying that i could go pick it up from the Post Office, and on the slip is says that i must pay R440 for import duties...

Is this normal? The kit in total with shipping came to something like 75 pounds, so now i'm paying on top of that almost half of purchase price for damn duties.

What have your guys experiences been with purchasing from overseas?

All my order from Maccari in the state i've never had to pay a cent extra.

Thanks,
    Dave

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I have ordered from maccari and Fenix flashlights without ever having to pay a cent.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Dave, I have also experienced some huge fees for my last few shipments (1 from ebay and the other from BAR as well). I think that customs are on a get rich quick sceme and I realy don't understand their motivation!!!

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

you should only pay VAT on the value of the goods, not the transport.

they obviously cleared it under the wrong tariff heading and added some extra duties...

pay it and get your parcel...trying to claim duties back is a mission from hell

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Customs act like they feel, or maybe it's the person handling ur package not knowing much... I recieved stuff from BAR, no fees, recieved stuff from Mac1 and was charged vat and handling fees, then again received stuff from BAR and was charged. Rather prepare to get charged. If friends or family post a package to u in SA there is no charges...my next move against the evil people.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

If you import stuff, depending on what it is you will have to pay import duties and vat.

How it usually work is:
    Price in foreign currency x exchange rate = Price in Rand
    Price in Rand + 10% import duties = Base Price
    Base Price + 14% vat = Full Price

Import duties will vary from 10% normal to 100% on certain items like a "Ferrari"

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies

Wasn't worried about paying a bit of import duties, just never expected to be stung so bad!!!

I have relatives in the States and UK, so i will just use them to post in the future to try and avoid the gold diggers at customs....

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Gentleman, gentleman you have it all wrong. It is quite complicated but:
    The tariff heading you are looking for is 9304.00.20 "Other arms(for example, spring, air or gas guns and pistols,truncheons)(excluding those of heading 93.07")
    The above is free of customs duty BUT it pays Ad valorem Duty, also as spares and as follows: Tariff Heading 9305.99.10 "Parts of spring, air or gas guns and pistols" as follows:

Foreign Value x Rate of Exchange= SAR x 15% = Customs Value X 7% Ad valorem Duty = Total duty in SAR. VAT is always payable = CV x 14% end of picture. You can claim back erroneously paid duty, it is not easy and fairly time consuming. Everybody that import from time to time should quote the above Tariff Headings and you will not be robbed. Always make sure you have a proper invoice for customs purposes.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I think u are wrong Gerrief

spares fall under 93.059.010 [parts of spring air or gas guns] and pay no duties, only VAT

see http://rapidttp.com/tariff/93/93059010.html

REP: Air Rifle Pros

User Info Menu

Guido,

You are correct my permit for spares states 93.059.010. [parts of spring air or gas guns]
    However the Airguns as well as pellets pay the Ad Valorem charge as per Gerriefs formula!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido,
    No sorry my man. According to the tariff book used by customs updated right up to July07 there is no 93059010 tariff at all. I think you are looking at the a fly by night USA tariff book. I have the book in front of me and a customs official, now working for this company, in the office next to me. The tariff I gave you is also Duty Free but because of schedule 1 part2 B you have to pay Ad velorum duty as explained.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

oh ok, dang, they nail us everywhere.....

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

And dont forget, the Customs exchange rate is much higher than the bank rate.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

There is an official bank rate of exchange published daily that everybody uses in the import trade and accepted by customs as well.