Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beechwood stock proves difficult (if not impossible) to be stained properly

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Beechwood stock proves difficult (if not impossible) to be stained properly

Howdy guys,

After a few weeks of absenteeism from the forum, I decided to show face again....

The main reason for my shyness was that I just could not get my modified HW97k beech stock to look impressive after staining and sanding and re-staining and sanding and oiling and sanding and bleaching and sanding and oiling and staining and and and....

When I got the rifle, the standard stock looked really nice, but was not exactly to my liking. The cheek piece was too high, the pistol grip needed some attention, and generally I just like fiddling with things.

A bit of a horror story followed..... First, I got rid of the surface stain Weihrauch put on the stock. That actually proved to be quite easy - "nitromors", a couple of rags and some steel wool. Exposed underneath was the almost white beech wood with not as much grain personality as I would liked it to have, but I have learned that almost every piece of wood will look beautiful if treated with a lot of love and oil....

First I tried an alcohol stain, 320 grit sanding paper, and then the whole boiled linseed oil thing....

Didn't look like I wanted it too. The wood kept on showing lighter patches here and there. How do get rid of the stain? Sodium hydroxide and hydrogen peroxide, first the one, then the other, then clean with a mild vinegar solution. Worked fine, but be careful, it's very caustic! Next I tried a pigment stain mixed with the linseed oil. The light spots showed up again, but the wood looked beautiful. I tried to darken the lighter spots with some more stain, and some more, but no joy.

Eventually, I used lacquer thinners to wash everything away and went back to a surface sealer / stain application. The manufacturer says that it penetrates the wood, but I don't believe it, or if it does, it must be only a few microns.....

Anyway, after many nights of sanding and oiling and staining and bleaching and re-staining and eventually sealing, I'm half happy with the result, and decided that it has been long enough having a rifle in parts. Back to the shooting range at last.

All I can say after all of this - do not try and show off the natural beauty of beech wood on your stock. It cannot be done. Rather buy a piece of walnut, maple or sapele and get a new stock made. Beech wood is just plain. That's it.

I'm even a bit shy to post a pic of mine in case I'm being told I should never have touched it in the first place....

I still love the rifle however, and always will.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I can proudly say that in my collection of 14 air rifles I do not have one beech stocked one...

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Beech isn't the easiest wood to get a good re-finish on, but perseverance can pay off.

Apparently the best stain to use is a water based type.

This is a TX200 stock that has been stripped, the grip stippled, a walnut grip cap added and oil finished:

Deadlinks_imagefiles/TX2001_resized.jpg[/img]

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Could only be from your collection,Dale. Lucky fish you!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thats beautiful Dale. I took a quick photograph with my cell this morning to show what mine looks like - sorry about the quality - will take some better ones the weekend.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

post some bigger pics!!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Yes please - I don't see ANY pics? Got me all curious after that 1st post...LETS SEE IT!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ag toggie! I'm trying to get the pics to show bigger, no joy! What am I doing wrong. Will post them in my gallery instead.

Dale, how on earth did you post that size picture? The largest I can get mine to show is 200x150??? And for some reason it's not uploading to the gallery... Is there a problem with the server?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

email me the pics Boertjie, I will quickly post it

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Arnold, I sent to your e-mail as shown on your profile? Thanks for the help man!

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

No problem, I am still waiting for the pics to come through though.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

[link=deadlink/kig_menu/_imagefiles/18102007591.jpg]Deadlinks_imagefiles/18102007591_resized.jpg[/img] [/link]

[link=deadlink/kig_menu/_imagefiles/18102007600.jpg]Deadlinks_imagefiles/18102007600_resized.jpg[/img][/link]

[link=deadlink/kig_menu/_imagefiles/18102007602.jpg]Deadlinks_imagefiles/18102007602_resized.jpg[/img] [/link]

[link=deadlink/kig_menu/_imagefiles/18102007607.jpg] Deadlinks_imagefiles/18102007607_resized.jpg[/img] [/link]

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

should I make them a little smaller?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks Arnold, that should be big enough for everyone to see all the flaws.... hehehehe!

Maybe half this size, and add a bit of oil please..... but let it absorb nicely and then give it a good wipe off, I forgot to wipe it before I took the pics.

Thanks again for the help!

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

As per my pm response if you 'right click on the thumbnail image, rather than 'left click' to open it first when you insert it you get this:
    Deadlinks_thumbfiles/18102007607_thumb.jpg[/img]