Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable FPS variant

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Acceptable FPS variant

What do you guys reckon an acceptable FPS fluctuation for a S400 CARBINE(!) is, over say 40 shots?

Busy doing chrony strings at the moment but ran out of light, at this rate gonna need a week to complete it.

Also want to get round to doing a string on my Gamo 440 to check consistency aswell. Need to take an afternoon off work methinx.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

about 20fps

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Mean or one way guido?

max 780 fps
    min 760 fps
    ?

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Wed Apr 06 2005, 09:53PM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Avion can you make it the night round we are doing tomorrow (7april).

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

This is an interesting one. My BSA Meteor extreme spread is 6-7 fps, aa410 classic 20-25 fps. Just had a pm chat with Dale about it and he states that 20fps will only make 3mm differance at 50 on the POI.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

20fps total ES is acceptable by my reckoning

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I still do not like it that my springer's ES is better than PCP that cost 3 times as much.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Lewis that is not the point..it is not all about ES since it really does not affect accuracy as all the S400 owners have proven.

Can you shoot your springer as accurately as the PCP?

Anyway if you want a low ES on a PCP you need a regulated gun....there is no other way.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Yes I know all of that Guido.It just came as a shock when I tested the rifles. By the sound of it regulators are more troublesome and not worth the extra cost as a retro fit.

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Yip..older regs can be a problem buth the new ones are really good.
    I also saw another chap at Durbanville and he chronoed his Meteor...was extremely consistent.
    BTW do you still want that c02 pistol?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Well my extreme spread is 16fps, and when it's in the HOTF - 'heart of the fill' it's around 3fps spread. My HOTF is around 25 shots.

Yeah ta for the fone call Lewis - greatly appreciated - I threw it all in Chairgun and noticed a minimal drop at 50 yards.

I was just curious as to what the norm was - just to see if my rifle was performing on par.

Thanks for the info guys.

ice's Avatar ice

imo hold ability is a bigger problem than es and i'm prepared to disagree with anyone who states his unsupported hold ability is so good that even a 40fps e.s would influence his/her accuracy at 50m!

How many shots are missed because of a 40fps drop or rise in velocity at 50m? - By me - none.

How many of todays airguns (springer or pcp) have a larger spread? - none

Blaming e.s for a miss - I don't think so. :O

Anybody out there still worried about e.s ?

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido
    Anyway if you want a low ES on a PCP you need a regulated gun....there is no other way.
    That is the theory, unfortunately from my own experience it does not always work in practice.

I have quite often found that a good unregulated rifle will equal and even outperform a regulated gun for consistency.

Dale

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I managed to strip my cylinder the other day, not a prob cause I had it replaced, but when I tried some bench resting I found that my grouping went to hell.2inch grouping at 30yards! Stuck it on the croni only to find that I had an ES of 28fps. When I stripped my cylinder some of the shavings went into the block. So block replaced and tried again, grouping at 30yards clover and corni reading an ES of 4fps.

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

Just wondering if we are all talking about the same thing when we discuss extreme spread. To me this means the difference between the highest and lowest recorded velocities across a string of shots.

For instance when I tested my S400FT filled to 180 Bar I chronographed 135 shots of which I found the first 119 fell within an extreme spread of 21fps with the lowest recorded velocity being 771fps and the highest velocity at 792fps. The variation recorded from shot to shot was 10fps or less.

I would be unhappy with a shot to shot variation of 20fps but an extreme spread of this over a long string is OK to me given a lower shot to shot value.

Dale