Thread: Field Target - Springer class

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Field Target - Springer class

What is the future for Springer class?

Do I forget about the springer for now and shoot pcp competitively again? Or do I compete with my springer in the open class and have fun(although I will try my best to win ... so there goes some of the fun)?

MCJ's Avatar MCJ

I have to add to this by indicating that if we want to develope the sport of FT in South Africa, we will have to start looking at the young generation. Give US old farts another 10 years and look at FT again. Where will the new generation come from.

Cape Air Rifle has already invisage this and introduced HFT which is directed to get new people and young people that wants to get into the sport of FT.

This has proven sucessfull as 3 people , Joe, Ilse and Deon has just bought S400 / S200 to start shooting FT after they shot HFT for 6 - 12 months. The HFT in our region is thus feeding the FT.

We also have about 5 kids of U/13 with PCP which currently shoot HFT in their own class and will, when the time comes, move them over to FT.

Again you can see the benefits of having deferent classes.

I agree that we can not sent a them to the world champs but at least have National Champs for these classes as they are critical for the survival of the sport.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '17/'19

User Info Menu

SAFTAA did institute two FT springer classes earlier this year - one for open sights and one for scopes. To date little has materialised in Gauteng, but we believe that in Cape Town it should flourish. As soon as Gauteng clubs start promoting HFT at club level, the springer classes in FT should develop fast.

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

Guys point taken. once we have different regions we can incorporate it into the national trials for the FT and call it the nation championships for the other classes, that sounds realy good. this way the guys and gals that want to see were they stand amoung the other shoots can.

there will always be things for saftaa to look at to help the sport to grow. as long as the suggestions keep coming we will keep looking, the 6 commitee members cant think of all the posibilities. keep the suggestions coming for national level. it is up to the clubs to develop the sport in there area with saftaa's help of course.

the CTN clubs have shown us here GP a thing or two.

Arnold unfortunitly at this stage if you want your SA colours you will have to finish in the top 8 or so, if you do it with a springer then well done. untill we can get the nubers up to big numbers we will not be given enough SA badges for all the classes.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

can anybody tell me were to find the rules for HFT, as the SAFTAA rules are only applicable to FT?

Vettie's Avatar Vettie

jm saftaa dont host hft

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi Joe

Go to http://www.ukahft.org.uk
    The 2008 rules are up. Not sure what have changed, if any. CAR uses these rules but there are some additions/changes (See mail from Martin dated 19 Nov).

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I would enjoy a FT springer class as well.
    A pcp rifle is nowhere near in my future so springer it is and can't say I'm too fond of HFT....except for getting a point if you still hit the face plate

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dont knock springers !!!

Here in UK , I think HFT is more popular with the club shooter .

And , yes , Springers are very very popular .

Guys are shooting springers as well as PCPs .

Remember , a high quality springer has very good consistant power .

My Air Arms TX200 HC shoots a 50 shot spread with 7 foot per second maximum shot to shot variation , my S400 with 16 foot per second spread !!!!

I think in view of the costs in SA and the small pool of available shooters , the way forward is definitely springers , even locally introduce break barrel and fixed barrel classes to even it out more !!

Mind you the Wierach break barrel is equal to most fixed barrels .

Look at the Airgun world results at HFT and remember there are more than 200 competitors at these shoots , and the top springers are within 2 or 3 shots of the top PCP shooters !!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

[html] [quote1195840625=Gerry] Mind you the Wierach break barrel is equal to most fixed barrels . [/quote1195840625]

Amen! [/html]

Rest in Peace Mike 05/12/2014

User Info Menu

On the right path!

Factor in youngsters and equipment they already possess or can afford and design the courses accordingly.

The World Ch. might emerge from this and then can be nurtured further...colours and trophies are not the beginning and the end of FT shooting. Small numbers however for whatever reason spells extinction!!!!

Good luck!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

[quote1195888484=MMP]
    On the right path!

Factor in youngsters and equipment they already possess or can afford and design the courses accordingly.

The World Ch. might emerge from this and then can be nurtured further...colours and trophies are not the beginning and the end of FT shooting. Small numbers however for whatever reason spells extinction!!!!

Good luck!
    [/quote1195888484]

Amen !