Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamster

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Default Hamster

After market hamster is not ugly! [br][img:width=200&height=150]../../Deadlinks/public/1196346930_669_FT0_hamster_.jpg[/img][br]

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Looks good Joe, is it not a little to low still?

Have you received the S400 yet?

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

No, It works well for Ilse.
    Haven't recived S400 yet, counting down the days. Guido is making me suffer until the 2nd week in December. can't wait!!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I fully agree JM. I am presently making my own hamster to fit to my HW97K. I consulted with Arnold prior to tackling this task. I am not drilling into the stock, I am attaching it through the trigger guard.. Pics are coming..

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

make sure you post the pics, Blizard, i would really like to see them. My concern for doing it through the trigger guard, is getting the position right. After all the hamster becomes part of the rifle.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Im finished with my hamster. Colour isnt wonderful but it does the trick perfectly and cost me a full R9.85. Didnt have to drill any holes in the stock.. Used the trigger guard and the action slot on my HW97K.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

And here it is:
    Deadlinksview=image&imageId=793[/url]

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

This is the hamster I am going to get made for my S400. It uses the action bolt to secure the hamster. It is also adjustable for height so you can fine tune it after installing it.

Deadlinks_imagefiles/s400_hamster.jpg[/img]

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

BliZard,
    Mu daughter and I have been using a very similar hamster with great effect as it is adjustable forward or back for different positions.

Arnold,
    I find that using the "action bolt" asafasning point is not all that great becuase you have to loosen the whole thing when the jamster is not needed and then your poi changes a bit every time. The sicond thing is that the hamster always moves and you have to tighten it because it is not supported in front or at the back. The hight adjustment is a grat idea thouh. I would suggest you support it front or back with justa dimple drilled into the stock and another "stem" that fits into it, or even if it sits in the gauge recess. Just my 2c worth.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Gerrief and Arnold,

What would the "perfect" hamster be like ? What material, size etc. I have a AA 400. Does AA not make something that can be used as a hamster for the 400.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The "perfect" hamster would be the one that works best for you. I suggest trying some different ideas using anything you can shape and tape to your stock to get the correct height or better yet make an adjustable one.

I have noticed that part of the sport is indeed experimentation and a bit of basic designing. Something like a hamster needn,t be an expensive exercise even if you have one made up at an engineering shop but remember to do the drawing yourself and include all the measurements, the easier you make things for the artisan the quicker he can do the job and the cheaper the exercise.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I agree with Andew. If it works for you it is the best hamster, but how do you know if mine is not just that much better until you have seen and tried it. That is what makes us experiment more and more. For me the best idea is still the wooden one that can be put on and removed without having to drill any thing or unscrew any thing. It can be moved forward orback a bit. It is only the height that I haven't got 100% correct. My alumenium veresion attached the action bolt works well but it unscrews by itself and it is difficult to change the rifle from T t hunting or BR.
    I have seen people building young coffee tables and screw it to their rifles. That is butt ugly, but if you believe your rifle is just a tool and you don't care what it looks like ;I suppose it is OK.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

For me the ideal hamster should come with the stock and the stock should look like one piece when the hamster is not adjusted for more height. (Also the adjustable cheek piece)

The hamster should be adjustable for height. The easiest rifles to make a hamster for is the ones with accessory rails. Using the rail you do not have to drill any holes into the stock. The hamster should also like Gerrief said be supported by 2 points. This makes it sturdy, unable to twist on a single axis and allows for a longer hamster that can support a multitude of positions.

I am busy tweaking my design to incorporate these ideas. I went to the shooting range yesterday to have a couple of shots and see where the rifle goes on my knee. (I noticed that the hamster I designed was going to be a bit short, as my knee is placed in a more forward position making me miss the hamster in my design.)

I will post my new design shortly.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Different rifles will require different designs. Remember we were discussing S400 hamsters.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Here is a better design for the S400. The rear pillar attaches to the action screw and the front pillar to the stock. How exactly I am going to attach the front pillar I do not know yet. Added to the top of the pillars are 3mm rubber washers to protect the stock and compensate a bit for the angle of the wood.

The base is also longer now to accommodate more shooting positions.

Deadlinks_imagefiles/hamster.jpg[/img]