Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Clear shot offered to a target from all shooting positions

Protea FT Team '07/'08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13
    National FT Champ '09/'13

User Info Menu

Default A Clear shot offered to a target from all shooting positions

I want to seriously ask SAFTAA to look into the rule that states "A clear unobstructive view of the hit zone must be afforded from at least one shooting position"

The rules also say that "course designers are encouraged to use natural obstacles available to force a positional shooting position"

I have no problem with that, because it affects all, and force all shots to shoot from the same position, at that specific target, making the playing field level.

I have found it impossible to shoot at certain targets, using my prefered position, at some ranges, due to the lane not being cleared, so that kids, or myself can have a clear view at the hit zone.

We all want this sport to grow, and by building a range to suit certain shots, due to the shooting style that they prefer, and by that, causing smaller bodied shots, and kids from also having a clear shot at the target, is de -constructive, and does not help to promote our sport. I have witnessed kids shooting standing shots, where it was actually marked as kneelers, because they could not see the target, when in the kneeling position.

Why must I, or any other shot be penalised for their physical size, or prefered shooting style? Why cannot we level the playing field, by adopting the UK rule, that states that "the target must offer a clear view of the kill zone, from all shooting positions". By doing that, we will offer small kids, and shots using different styles than the normal, the opportunity to shoot to the best of their abbility, and also encourage shots to develop different styles, that might work best for them. Remember, not all people are built simular, and not one single style, will suit all.

Afterall, we want to develop the sport, not kill it by using certain rules to the advantage of some shots, due to their prefered shooting style, and then enforce it on all, just because they happen to be, or was on the commitee, that decides the rules.

I would like to shoot to the best of my abbility, and be judged by my shooting capabilitys, and not by my style, being different to what is the norm. Every one partisipating, should be offered the same opportunity, to shoot to their full potential, and not be outdone by some stupid rule.

So, please be so kind, as to look into this stupid rule, and change it, to the advantage of our sport, and offer all shots, including small kids, the opportunity to compete on a level playing field.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

[quote1196593835=Piet Skiet]
    "A clear unobstructive view of the hit zone must be afforded from at least one shooting position"

[/quote1196593835]
    From a personal point of view I like this idea.On the other hand a 1 of the suckers that has to put up a range all I can say is we dont need to make more work for the few mules that set up the range.

You have been instrumental in bringign the people in to help pack up Piet.Now we need to help the guys set up as well.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

Piet. SAFTAA is accessable.If you wish to bring a point to their attention all you need to do is inform your club and your club will make an official request to SAFTAA.

User Info Menu

Thank's Allan, will do. It is not a matter of making more work. If you cut the grass anyway, you can cut it 6 inches shorter, to suit all, for the same effort. Or raise the targets, so it is visable for all.

Concerning the puting up of ranges, why don't we set up a roster, where everybody gets a turn to help. If you can't make it, then it is your responcibility to swop out. After all, we all like shooting, so we can all help to make it happen.

That way, the burden will be spread amongst all. I'm sure that we will get the support of most.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

There are shots that shoot in the prone position, there for all freestyle hit zones must be catered up to prone position.
    The targets where short guys come short, Dale mentioned that it was bad target placement by the rangebuilder on the FAULTY TARGET THREAD.
    Piet your prefered position is excellent but it's your problem if it comes to shooting up or down hill. The rangebuilder can't build a platform or dig a hole for you to get eye level with the hit zone. So it boils down to that the range must be builed to suit all shot from prone to standing positions. That would be appriaciated if SAFTAA can change the rule as Piet mentioned.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I trust that colours for the hit zone is sorted for the colourblind if not SAFTAA please do your thing. If it is sorted thanks!!

User Info Menu

Wally. I have no problem with up or down shots. That is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about tall grass in the firing lane, so that I, or kids shooting on the day, cannot see the target, never mind the hit zone. Why can it be set up for someone that uses a different shooting style than mine, but not for me, or smaller framed shots?

What makes any shooter so special, that a range is set up to suit him, but not for all partisipants?

You can put the targets where you want, as long as it provides a clear shot to all partisipants. Thats all I'm asking.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Piet,
    I once asked the same question and I was told; "...we are in South Africa and any country can adapt any rules to suit them. A few blades of grass will not do anything to your pellet" I left it at that. As a matter of interest, is the prone position accepted in FT?
    Secondly I don't think the rule is stupid, far from it, but it is not applied properly, very seldom was in the past either. As far as I'm concerned it has to do with the being "spiteful" I always complain about.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Piet if you read my post I mention that all freestyle targets must be open from prone position. The prone position will cater for all positions, tall and short like myself to shoot in any style. I don't think you will get a shot that is lower than a prone if the shot is sitting, there for if a range is build in the prone position it will benefit the kids as well. Some clubs has the moto ( It's free style but short arses if you can't see the target kneel or stand, sorry for you. ) Now that is not on for me SORRY. I think you and I are fighting for the same thing here. Keep it up I will back you on this one.

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Gerrief, prone position is allowed on shots that are free style. You just don't often see guys taking the shots prone and maybe it is because they think you are only allowed to sit.

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

Sofer ek dit nog al die jare verstaan is enige styl wat veilig en binne die reels (van geen dooie rus, binne jou toelaatbare tyd ens) is toelaatbaar Gerrie. Jy kan Creedmore ook gooi solank as wat jou rug dit toelaat en jy nie ander mense in gevaar stel tydens jou manewales om in posisie te kom nie.
    Ek het Saterdag n 'prone' gedoen op baan 19 teen die skuins wal en dit het soos n droom gewerk. Volgende keer wat ons op n sportveld of golfbaan skiet sal dit my posisie van keuse wees ! ;-)

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Thanks DSF. Ek ken nie die reels nie so goed nie, daarom vra ek. Ek was onder die indruk dat le nie aanvaarbaar is nie.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dankie manne, dit was my punt!!! As die baan oop is vir le dan kan die kleinste kind ook sit en die teiken waar neem. Die sport is nie net vir groot en lang skuts soos ek nie, gee die kinders en kortgatte soos SIR Deod en andere ook n gelyke kans.

Protea FT Team '12/'16/'17

User Info Menu

please guys. see the post rules for saftaa to look at.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dankie manne, dit was my punt!!! As die vryskiet baan oop is vir le posisies dan kan die kleinste kind ook sit en die teiken waar neem. Die sport is nie net vir groot en lang skuts soos ek nie, gee die kinders en kortgatte soos SIR Deod en andere ook n gelyke kans.