Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home shooting complaint

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default home shooting complaint

i always shoot from home. ie. garage, balcony ,backyard...

nobody say anything untail today. while i m busy shooting in the garage after i fired few shoots to the tree from my dinning room window. a women which live one house down the road show up in front of my gate.

the first question she asked is: r u shooting? i said: hmm. yeah, pellet gun only. at garage. i added. then she said: i don't have problem about it. it's a soft pleasent sound. but my dog got very sensive ear and she so scared of the sound u making. everytime she hears it. she just trying to hide under the bed.

she also said: i can't say u must stop your habit. but this is really became to a problem to me now...

i said: i just doing it for fun not training for competition. this is not real gun or firearm. but basiclly a toy gun. only shoots few meters far. and i will pay attension about it now. i will do my best from your suggestion. then she left.

well. seems i don't have much choice now. but it's so hard to give it up. anyone know how to make my silencer more effective?
    <span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

the only way on your Talon is to turn down the power...it makes a drammatic difference.
    12 ft\lbs is perfect for home use anyway

other option is to let loose your great danes and let them gobble up the other sensitive eared pooch, careful though they may choke on it!!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Please note that it is illegal to discharge a airgun in a built up area.
    I know we all do it (me included) but it is still illegal and if she lays a official complaint with the police criminal charges will have to be laid against you.
    I went through exactly the same with a neighbour. I now shoot 1-2 shots and put my gun away for the day ...

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Think you were lucky Boondock - at least she showed up to try and settle the matter, she could have just called the police.

I shoot in my back garden, my S400 is alot quiter than my springer, but I still only shoot when there's suburban noise - like cars travelling home, people playing music etc. This pretty much covers any noise I'm making, although I have made a silent pellet trap which helps.
    Weekend afternoons are pretty much out - really quiet around here at weekends.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

guido. if tune down to 12ftlbs. what velocity it normally get? for option2. hehe. i will become the first suspect if somthing bad happened to her sensitive dog. so i rather wish her dog is live and kicking all the time.

neil. i also think it in that way. lots people don't really know shoot pellet gun at home is illegal. hope they never wake up on this point.

avion. maybe i should get a huge silencer (but must be still smaller than the one next to my exhaust pipe)

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Sat Apr 09 2005, 11:58PM ]</span>

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Boondock - your Talon is loud due to the fact that it is shooting those JSBs at over 970fps if I remember correctly.
    Turn it down to about 800 and see the difference.
    You will also get about 200 shots or more out of the Talon.
    You will not get a much better silencer than the one you have.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I fitted my Condor with a Slencer last time home and found that its not so much discharge noise as metal to metal ringing. Dogs hearing is very sensative at higher frequencies so they hear the harmonics that we dont. Shoot about 50 pells and check your hearing, it should be ringing too.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

boondock are your dogs scared when you shoot i have ten dogs and only 2 of them get scared when i shoot in my garden.tell her to get a new dog that isnt such a wussy.i live on a large property and the two that are scared just go hide some where as far away as possible

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

guido. it shoots something like 1030fts with silencer. i like the high power setting. hehe..

brain. i also think the metal hitting sound is very noticeable. that woman's house is 40m away from mine. maybe it's the echo when i shooting from dinning room.

moose. i have 3 dogs. 2 great danes and 1 small x breed (saved from death roll). 2 danes not gun sensitive at all. they can sleep well while i m shooting next to. but small x breed occasionally make terrible noise when he hear it.

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Mon Apr 11 2005, 01:03AM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Line your backstop/ pellet stop with old 6mm conveyer belt. Will not hear the pellet strike..

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Have the same problem with dogs. My dog (foxy) gets very excited when he sees me with a gun in hand, he starts moaning if I don't shoot and this alerts the neighbours dogs. They bark like hell then.
    I use the conveyer belt as well but I think it is a sound that we cant hear that alerts the dogs. My dog will hear me shoot (silenced aa) from a mile away and come to see what he gets.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

i wasn't shooting at trap. in fact. i m shooting at my DIY target box (a paper box filled up with old books). so it's not noisy from the target but action noise from gun is always there.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Some dogs are bothered by the noise, others not and that is it. Best be careful, since the woman now knows what is going on. But this highlights another problem - where do you practise? It is just not possible/practical to go to a shooting range every afternoon after work to get a few shots in, unless you own the place and have to be there anyway. And you need to practise, no matter how good you are - I need to practise full time!

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Build yourself a 15m indoor range ... should only cost your about 100k, then nobody can say anything ! :shoot:

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

Neilg: it is time to take your small white tablets.

If only it was that easy!!!!!!