Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sliced Pellets

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Sliced Pellets

Might not be news to the experienced crowd, but I found this interesting...

Source:
    http://users.skynet.be/mario.severi/airgunning/JSB.html

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quite a bit of difference between the AA's. Particularly the inner skirt flange.

Does anyone still have any of the 'old' batch?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

avion could you get on to the bsa website?

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

Avion, it seems like you sliced the first pellet closer to the edge than the second pellet, hence the deeper looking skirt.
    You can clearly see the heads are different sizes due to the off-centre slicing.

Anyway I do agree that the AA pellets have a deeper skirt..they are apparently made by a different JSB die. It does however not make them any better than the std JSB pellets and I feel sorry for chaps in the UK having to pay 6UKP per tin for pellets made in Europe.

I have shot AA and JSB pellets extensively and find NO difference in accuracy between them.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido is correct, it is a different die for AA pellets than JSB although the same factory. It seems AA recently changed their die. Remember the inaccuracy problems the UK guys were complaining about. The old die must have been worn out. Look at the skirt entry angle.

My experience was the same with no difference in accuracy between AA and JSB. Only picked up problems end of last year when AA was shooting all over the place, but that was the match pellets.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Weren't me that did the slicing guido.

Can't comment on JSB's though - haven't shot them in about 12 months and can't really remember how the tin performed.

Moose:
    Nope can't ge the BSA site up ATM.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Avion,
    I shoot AccuPell just as accurate as you shoot your EXPENSIVE AA. at R30-00/tin cheaper.I get a free tin with change for every two tins you buy. If I have even 10 fliers(wich I don't have) I still have 1400 good pallets as accurate as any. Ha ha ha :beer:

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I also shoot AccuPell with NO FLYERS,
    must admit that I get a little bit (2mm at 30m) better performance from AA but that really doesn't make any practical difference.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido
    Avion, it seems like you sliced the first pellet closer to the edge than the second pellet, hence the deeper looking skirt.
    You can clearly see the heads are different sizes due to the off-centre slicing.
    I won't say the pellets were sliced perfectly in the middle , but the differences you see are not caused by an off-center slice. The old and new type AA's have a different hole in the skirt.

The JSB's were significantly more accurate in most of my guns when compared to the old type AA Fields. But the new type AA Fields are now very accurate as well and comparable with the JSB's or Daystate FT's.

Sincerest Regards from a belgian airgunner.

Mario

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Mon Apr 11 2005, 11:18AM ]</span>

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

But why buy AA pellets when JSBs cost a lot less?
    Especially in Europe.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

JSB pellets were not very easy to get although they now can be found in a few shops (but AFAIK not in Belgium). A few years ago, I ordered JSB's directly from JSB but there were many deformed ones in the tins (up to 30 % deformed ones), probably due to rough transportation.

Last years at the Worlds FT in Ebern, I was able to buy Daystate FT's and yesterday I found the first deformed pellet, after using 12 tins of them. So I am happy to pay 7.5 euro instead of 5 euro if I don't have to worry whether I have a good or deformed pellet in my hands. Unfortunately, there no place in Belgium where I can buy Daystate FT pellets.

So I can buy JSB's or Daystate by mail order but I'm reluctant to do that because transportation can ruin your pellets.

AA Fields can be found in a few shops in Belgium, and cost about 8.5 euro.

I am now testing AA Fields 4.51 and 4.52 in my EV2 as I have nearly ran out of Daystate FT 4.52. So far, my EV2 seems to like Daystates slightly better than AA Fields. I'm also testing Daystate FT 4.53 (which I also bought in Ebern during the Worlds) and the results seems quite promising.

Actually, I don't care how much pellets costs, even the expensive ones are still fairly cheap. I just want the best . If it turns out that Daystate FT 4.52 are the best in my EV2, I'l have to make a trip to the Netherlands (about 500 km both ways) where there 's a place I can buy them directly.

Cheers,

Mario

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Mon Apr 11 2005, 11:34AM ]</span>

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Guido,
    I suppose it depends on who imports the pellets.
    Cobus,
    I can only echo your statements abour fliers and accuracy. I can live with that at R30-00/500. Where do you get your supply @ what price?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hey Mario. Any more changes to your EV2? My side wheel and Moderator from Jon are still in my London office. Should see them end of this month. I cant remember, did you have your stock changed by AA or did you buy it?

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Brian, my silver-gray stock cracked after shooting a FT-match in rain. AA replaced the stock and gave me the choice between laminate or silver-gray. Personally I prefer the laminate stock.

Apart from the moderator, I haven't changed anything on the EV2. This weekend, I noticed the gun shoots at lower velocities than it used to do ( 745 fps instead of 782 fps) and I don't seem to be able to increase it with the power adjustment screw (could get it to 755 fps but not higher). I'm now waiting for AA to reply. If the gun has to go back, I hope they put in the new valving which is far more economical with air usage than the old valve (150 shots instead of 70-80 has been mentioned).

Cheers,

Mario

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

gerrief: I tried to slice an Accucrap this afternoon, but they kept crumbling - that and the fact my hands are stained a paler shade of black.

I'll have another go tomorrow, maybe grinding is a better bet seeing as their so hard they wont clog up the grinding wheels. %-6