Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Popular Air Rifles

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Default Most Popular Air Rifles

This is something I read on the airgun BBS. What do you guys think? Take note of which rifle they think is the most used rifle.

Airguns of the Millennium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hi All,

I've just found an old copy of Airgunner Magazine. Dated January 2000.
    They have a readers poll and name the top 20 airguns of the Millennium.

Which are: (think year 2000 remember )
    Theoben Rapid
    Weihrauch HW77
    Air Arms TX200
    GAT
    BSA Airsporter
    Webley Mk1 (pistol)
    Theoben Sirocco
    BSA Superten
    Brocock Orion
    BSA Meteor
    Crosman Triple Strike
    Gamo Paratrooper
    ASI Statical
    SportsMatch GC2
    Air Arms Shamal
    Saxby-Palmer Ensign
    Parker Hale Dragon
    Webley Eclipse
    Daystate Huntsman
    Walther CP 88
    I was wondering 8 years on what that list would like like now. The most popular airguns arent always gonna be the most expensive so maybe the Crosman Ratcatcher and Air Arms S400? The HW100 I am certain would make the list as with the AA Pro Target (being the most over used FT gun ever).

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

A little bit before my shooting day's (competitive shooting) Gerrie, i just thought i will comment because it look like nobody wants to comment on this.
    Very interesting though.

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

GerrieF.It all depends on how you want to make the list.

If its best guns of all time The AA Pro Target might make the list.If it is current day I am afraid there would be a lot of PCP's and a lot of regulated weapons.

The only place I have seen "old " guns in compeditive use is the USA.And that I think is because they dont want to fiddle with new guns and push the power up in fear of wrecking a good gun.

The English are the guys to make such a list.On the SA list the Walther would be high on the list.In the rest of the world it might be lucky to make the list at all.

I think it comes down to who you ask and how many people you ask.

Some of the guns that would make my list
    Weihrauch HW77 / 97
    Air Arms TX200 Mk3
    Daystate MK 3 FT
    AA S400
    EV2 (my baby)
    FWB P70
    Steyr 110

Even the Dommie would get on my list.

As you can see there are a few common guns just updated

The guns have progressed a bit but what i think would be more interesting to see would be the list of scopes 2008 and 2000.there is where I think you would be able to see a bigger change

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Maybe one should have this forum suggest a list? But to make the list fair we shouldmaybe get the top3 in various categories.. We all know the TX200 is a great springer, But not all can afford it. Maybe we should split it in to groups. Please also give reasons for thisas this would help noobs to make the right choice based on thier budget. I am not including CO2 in here as CO2 does not seem to be everyone's choice in RSA.

Budget springer < R2500
    Any springer - Any price
    Budget PCP < R6000
    Midrange <R12000
    Any PCP

JT

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dude, what do you want to spend and what do you want to do with the equipment, hunt, club shoots, plink?

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

JTR what Andrew is getting at aslo works.I have seen a lot of good help being offeredn the forum as long as the person asking is honest about what he wants.

On the other habd with your 4 classes .I only know of 2 PCP's with a selling price under R6K

The problem is you wont get everyone to agree on almost any list.Some like guns for their looks .Others like guns becases they are high power , some like guns because they sow status , some like guns because they give more shopts per fill and so the list goes on.

This being saig my short list would be

Budget springer < R2500 Gamo 440 ,CFX or BSA (for 2500 there is only the smaller models )
    Any springer - Any price TX200 200 or HW97 (close call)
    Budget PCP < R6000 CZ 200 or Bam (for those that tinker)
    Midrange <R12000 HW100 AA S400 AA S410 SL
    Any PCP EV2 Steyr Walther

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Ja , the english list and the SA list would differ .

I think all of us in SA had a Gecado at some stage , but the english not . They have Webleys and BSAs .

I still have my GAT , I see they are an old pistol !!

At the ranges these days , a lot of Daystates , a fair few AAs of all differnt models and then a few Steyrs and Walthers .

Springers , lots of Weirachs , and AAs .

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

The likes of Gery, Dale and other "over the pond" members will tell us that the guys still use those "old" rifles and equivalent scopes today, with as much effect as us with our new equipment. I can not get away from the fact that if you can shoot you can use any decent, not necessarily new equipment to stand your ground. Nick J can still shoot the cr@p out of most people using his S100 NJR(Original NJR rifle) and it is ancient compared to our rifles. I am trying my best to prove to the masses that as much pleasure and sucess can be had, if not more, with decent older equipment as with the high tech equipment of today. Where would you find a nicer rifle to shoot then the GC2? It can hold it's own against any new rifle and so can a lot of those rifles. If you look at the technology imployed then already and build quality, it opens your eyes wide.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

yeah.. you guys are getting it.. it should not be required to break the bank to be able to enjoy the sport. I am sure a guy that can shoot will be as competitive with a tuned cfx at the fraction of the cost as opposed to a TX200 which some buy for just the show. No dont get me wrong. The TX200 is a better gun manufactured etc. but it is not 4times better, not even twice. So I always say, there is another way for us mear mortals whom cannot afford the big $$ to enjoy the sport.. and hey if we are as good as the guy with his TX200 then I understand why he says the gamo is kak

JT

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

JTK, I hear where you are coming from with regards to the GAMO and yes you can do well in Hunter field target with it but should you decide to shoot FT then you will not be able to get away with it and it is here that the TX200 starts making sense and yes it is worth the money in terms of accuracy and trigger quality and so on. Do yourself a favour and go shoot with both rifles and then you will be closer to justifiyng the expense.

I started with a Hatsan mod 80 which makes the GAMO seem like the best thing since sliced bread and as time went on I progressed to TX200's and S400 rifles, the truth is these rifles sold themselves to me, I just had to have them and I sweated when I handed over the cash but I,m happy that I did. The proof my good man is in the pudding!

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

very true Andrew, too worried to try one of them.. Bond will be taking the punishment and with interest rates what they are atm it will not be pretty.

JT

Sharp Shooter
    Forum Sponsor

User Info Menu

If 'most popular' translates to 'guns with which I had the most fun', then my little Gamo Model '68 is on top of my list. It has been a pleasure to shoot for the last 30 odd years and it is still perforating cans and doing 'pest control' like earlier years when I could hold it much stiller..

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

I started with a peashooter, the simplest airgun in the wold.

Ha! Ha! said the Clown!!!

Marksman
    The Guru

User Info Menu

I started with a sharp stick and some stones

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Hi there quido, I hope you had your lepordskin on as well.
    Ha! Ha! said the Clown!!!