Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Wanted...

Newbie23's Avatar Newbie23

Default Advice Wanted...

Hi, I am new to air rifles and am looking for some advice. I shot one of my uncles old air rifle pellet guns and would like to buy a spring loaded rifle myself. It will just be for messing around, shooting cans, maybe rodents nothing serious so don't really want to spend too much money. Looking in te range of about R3000 with everything (rifle, scope, mount) Could anyone give me some advice on a good starting rifle, liked the look of the Gamo CFX Royal, what is this rifle like? Also what would be a decent scope for the type of shooting I am doing and what are the prices on scopes about? Any other suggestions for possible rifles greatly appreciated... thanks for all your help

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

In my opinion I will rather get a QB-79. The reason for that is that it wont kill the scope you are going to mount. You can get it at Barain Air Rifles for under R1000.00. Then you've got R2000.00 to spend on a decent scope. I've shot with spring powered guns from 1981 till about 4 years ago and its great if you use it with open sights. I know some folks might disagree but I'm just giving my opinion. I am even considdering in buying one myself again. The only downside is the cost of the co2 cannisters but it sounds if you wont be doing a lot of shooting so it might not be that expensive to run. It only shoots at about 600fps and I dont think it is enough for Rock Pigeons, however with this gun headshots are possible. I hope this could have helped you.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

nm... for a R800 qb79 just don't justify me to spend R2000 scope for it... ps. not sure if co2 can shoot nicely in cold winter... bam50+filler+scope+air tank will go over ur budget. but worth to considering.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

I also dont think you will find a qb. They are great rifles if you are prepared to tear them down and tune them.. So I hear. I would like one but you wil not find one in SA un R1000. Boondack, what is the best price on a BAM50/51 in SA? btw I have a CFX and love it to bits. You will also unless you modify it not be able to use a QB for ft/hft @ 600fps. I think the pest with CO2 the guys across the water gets after midifying the internals is 700fps. You can turn it into a PCP but then you may as well get the BAM

JT

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

there is no fixed price for BAM 50/51 anymore since it's no longer import to SA. i guess the 2nd hand one should tag under R3000. at that price there is nothing really available in PCP.

Protea FT Team '09/'10

User Info Menu

hi, if you are interested, I have a Norica Marvic Gold with a Lynx 3-7 x 30 scope mounted which I am looking to sell for around R2000-00 neg. Reason being, i've changed to PCP which I will be using for competitive shooting. If you interested in testing it, post me and you'd be more than welcome to try it.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

What are the reasons why they are not imported anymore? Quality issues? <R3k is not bad. Means someone can setup a ft rig for <R5k right?
    JT

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Bam is far more suited for HFT, FT is a spending game, you have forgotten about the scope needed for FT which will cost a lot more than the rifle.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Newbie, rather buy a rifle that doesnt need a seperate propellent and or lots of tuning, I would go for a CFX and a Leapers 3-9x40. At least you wont have to stuff around with co2 cannisters which also cost money especially if plinking is your thing

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

True about the ft/hft. Just seems to be an an option at less than half the entry lever S400. Purchase will be dictated by use. CFX is a great entry level target springer but I think could be a pain to hunt with if you have to load quickly. Break barrel or something that has a popup port will be much quicker to load. Also, if you get a Gamo and plan on shooting target, you have to replace the trigger blade with a GRT-III from CharlieDaTuna. Stock blade once tuned a bit will be fine for hunting.

JT

Newbie23's Avatar Newbie23

Thanks guys for the advice... think I will probably stick with springer coz really only want to do a bit of weekend shooting, nothing serious. JTK u mentin I would have to change the trigger blade... do u know how much this would cost. Also what is the gerenal asking price for the CFX Royal? Thanks

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

The trigger is imported from the states and fits all Gamo's and a few other that use the same mechanism. It is $32 I think. Cost me just over R200 wth shipping. Worth every cent. You can ask anyone that has one to tell you about it or let you try it. If you search the web you will find two opinions on the Gamo guns: 1) the worst shite on earth 2) the best value for money. I am definately the second opinion. The 1st opnion is the snobs that will not live with the fact that you outshoot them with a Gamo. As for the CFX it is widely accepted as the best Gamo money can buy. You get the royal(wood) and synthetic sock. The prices will be between R2k and R3k - yes I have seen a royal for R3k in the shop but it should not realy cost more than R2.5k. If you want to buy a springer that is accurate and cheap the CFX is the only way to go I think. I shot a Norica Quick but was not impressed. The Quick is also a spanish rifle little more $$ and generally accepted as a better rifle by some. Too heavy and I did not like it. There is also a Turkish copy of the cfx at about 2/3 the price but yet unproven. Some parts in the world it is called the Kral here the Ares. But I would say.. Go for the CFX. Pay me a visit and I will assist you with tuning the trigger.

To give you info idea on the CFX: in 2005 a chap won the new york field target compitition with a stock CFX. makes you think how the other chaps there with their rigs that cost 10+ times as much being beaten by a Gamo, must have felt. No wonder people are so sensitive about the Gamo guns. For the money, they are the best. Also the CFX is one of the "magnum" springers, at any cost, that is very forgiving when it comes to hold sensitivity. It is important to note that the quality control is not what the expensive guns are, so you have to invest a bit of tuning to get the best out of most of them, though the Gamo QC have improved in recent years.

Search the internet about hold sensitivity and you will open a big can of worms!

Cheers
    JT

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

BAM 50/51 not be imported anymore for few reasons...(1)DEALER LIABILITY.... since it's PCP and the user must follow the different safety regulation from idiot-proof springer. if poeple use oxygen instead of air then they can be smoked. (2)NOT FT friendly.... majority PCP users in SA somehow related to FT that's where they seen PCP the first time. but B50/51 kicks way harder than 12fpe, so it's no possible to sell to FT users. (3). LACK OF RECOGNISE ... maybe every 100 springers sold then only 1 PCP can be sold in the market. most people think airgun is break barrel and therefore they go for it.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Pity about that! Am sometimes very vary of 2nd hand. One has to know is the barrel is good 1st. The rest is always fixable. I hear the guys put .20 barrels on them. What fpe do they punch with .20 barrels? The 12fpe for FT is not realy an issue in SA right? And if one puts a regulator on you should be able to adjust it and get the best of both worlds

JT

Sharp Shooter
    Doctor BAM

User Info Menu

JTK
    The problem with regulating the PCP is normally very costly and can be as expensive as the full price of a BAM or Crosman Discovery PCP rifle.....

malan