Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCP Questions..

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

Default PCP Questions..

I have wondered, after seeing the difference in wieght between my compressor tank full vs empty, what is the diffs in weight of a PCP between full and empty? Might this not impact consistancy? Also it must be easier holding the lighter PCP than the full one.. so some people may have an advantage if his "standing" target is towards the end of the shoot as opposed to the guy that has to stand for his 1st one? Just a question not that I have a PCP yet..

2nd question.. .177 or .2 for field target in PCP.. now I know with 12fpe limit .177 is the way to go. But it does not seem that those rules count in SA.. I would imagine .2 would be better?

JT

MRP

User Info Menu

Do you require a licence to buy a .20 calibre .

Thanks

S400 classic

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

nope, licence from .22 and up

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

A full cylinder of Air in a PCP is about the same weight as a Fart JTK, in fact a fart is probably heavier.
    The standard for FT is .177 in SA, .20 leans more towards high power Hunting calibre.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Brian, you put that so beautifully

Sharp Shooter
    The Professor

User Info Menu

I would say worrying about the weight difference of a pcp across a charge is only for the seriously anal.

In SA the 12ft.lbs issue does apply in FT (it was voulntarily adopted by SAFTAA, by doing this it gives a better chance of being competitive rather than going unlimited in power and reducing if you go overseas and having to learn a new trrajectory and wind response), .177 is the calibre of choice.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

lol.. my farts can be lethal sometimes! but yes that answers the questions. Thanks! So you want an adjustable pcp if you wanna use it for FT in a nushell sticking to .177

JT

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Brian I tend to differ from your FART theory if I can call it that. The question was: What is the diff between a PCP cylinder full and empty?

Pressure is defined as weight per area. Therefore the higher the pressure the higher the weight.

It will all depend on the volume of the cylinder as well as on the weight of the cylinder at 1.0 atmosphere. (Altitude dependant)

Unless you define the volume of the so-called fart, the full (pressurized) PCP cylinder will outweigh the fart.

The fact is that there WILL DEFINATELY be a weight difference between an empty and full PCP cylinder, but the amount by which the weight will vary will depend on every single individual cylinder.

Inactive Member

User Info Menu

Dude, that was a figure of speech, I dont think Brian disputes the difference, only that it is negligable and given the volume I agree with him and Dale for that matter.

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

lol.. did not mean to stir. Was just curious as I know comressed air does not weigh nothing :>

Sharp Shooter

User Info Menu

I was about to give a lecture on the weight of air but we've been through that all before.
    One other thing we have discussed is the volatility of alternative gasses and why they should not be used as propellants. Farts, depending on the beer brand, will produce a similarly explosive detenation to that of pure Oxygen, and we all know what that does. So, dont worry about the few grams of weight of air, worry more about what your shooting partner had to drink the night before.

Protea Benchrest (Air) Team '08/'10/'11/'13/'15

User Info Menu

[blockquote]2nd question.. .177 or .2 for field target in PCP.. now I know with 12fpe limit .177 is the way to go. But it does not seem that those rules count in SA.. I would imagine .2 would be better?[/blockquote]
    At 12ft/lb a .20 will shoot about 600ft/sec and it would not be as accurate at a .177 at 12 ft/lb. I did the conversion on my AA S200 and for accuracy .177 is better

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

[quote1200342750=JTK]
    I have wondered, after seeing the difference in wieght between my compressor tank full vs empty, what is the diffs in weight of a PCP between full and empty? Might this not impact consistancy? Also it must be easier holding the lighter PCP than the full one.. so some people may have an advantage if his "standing" target is towards the end of the shoot as opposed to the guy that has to stand for his 1st one? Just a question not that I have a PCP yet..

2nd question.. .177 or .2 for field target in PCP.. now I know with 12fpe limit .177 is the way to go. But it does not seem that those rules count in SA.. I would imagine .2 would be better?

JT
    [/quote1200342750]
    JTK when I got my EV It took a few shoots to get used to the extra weight.Now if I try shoot with the S400 i feel as though its floating around .

I am in the ptocess of adding weight to my EV

Sharp Shooter
    SAFTAA FT Colours '10

User Info Menu

lol had MJC's styer in my hands standing and man it was just too heavy. My springer is much easier on the hold. I will have to change my hold when I move to those big rigs. Sitting would be easy as it will ad to the stability but standing.. man that is heavy.

JT

Protea FT Team '08

User Info Menu

I almost sold my EV after the first 2 shoots.You tend to think I"I will never get this right" Now I dont think i will go back.